What are some dacs under $300 that match really well with Hifiman Ananda Nano headphones?
May 2, 2024 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Barncore

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have a pair of Ananda Stealth V3, and i'm thinking of upgrading to Ananda Nano. They both have similar specs.

The Nano is 14ohms, 94 sensitivity.
The Stealth is 16ohms, 93 sensitivity.

Not looking for anything overly expensive, just looking to help the headphones reach their potential.
I'm currently going through my audio interface (Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core (non-Pro version)), and it sounds decent but i have a feeling they aren't fully optimized.

I'll be using the headphones to play audio from my computer (i'm an audio engineer), nothing else.

Anyone got a recommendation for a DAC that has the following qualities?
  • Under $300-ish.
  • Pairs well with Ananda Nano.
  • Plugs in via USB
  • Not overly big in size. Don't want it to take too much desk space.
  • Would like to have onboard EQ on the DAC, so i can have an EQ profile for the headphones only and it wont affect the sound coming through my speakers / interface / systemwide. (But let me know if that's possible software-wise, i don't know)
Other stuff:
  • Don't need any bluetooth functionality.
  • Don't need it to power speakers.
  • Don't need anything other than making my headphones sound better.
  • It'd be cool if it could be powered via USB only (so i don't have to use a power socket), but i'm not sure how much sound quality would be sacrificed? Lemme know.

I don't have much knowledge of DACs or amps because i've only ever used audio interfaces to drive headphones, so forgive me if i left out key info. I don't really know the functional difference between a DAC unit and an amp unit, haha, sorry. Hopefully we get some good suggestions here though!

Thanks

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 14
Hey all,

I have a pair of Ananda Stealth V3, and i'm thinking of upgrading to Ananda Nano. They both have similar specs.

Not looking for anything overly expensive, just looking to help the headphones reach their potential.
I'm currently going through my audio interface (Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core (non-Pro version)), and it sounds decent but i have a feeling they aren't fully optimized.

I'll be using the headphones to play audio from my computer (i'm an audio engineer), nothing else.

• Under $300-ish.
  • Plugs in via USB
  • Would like to have onboard EQ on the DAC, so i can have an EQ profile for the headphones only and it wont affect the sound coming through my speakers / interface / systemwide. (But let me know if that's possible software-wise, i don't know)
Other stuff:
  • It'd be cool if it could be powered via USB only (so i don't have to use a power socket), but i'm not sure how much sound quality would be sacrificed? Lemme know.

I don't have much knowledge of DACs or amps because i've only ever used audio interfaces to drive headphones, so forgive me if i left out key info. I don't really know the functional difference between a DAC unit and an amp unit, haha, sorry. Hopefully we get some good suggestions here though!

Thanks
For a budget gear, you can get the Schiit DAC. If you want an all in one, dac and amp, to be under 300 then get the Schiit Magni Unity for 119 is good.

If you want usb powered and more portable then get the FiiO BRT7 or other FiiO products. The only down side is that it sounds a bit dry. However it has everything you wanted plus Bluetooth.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 14
Hey all,

• Under $300-ish.
  • Plugs in via USB
Other stuff:

Thanks
depends on what sort of sound signature you like.

May 5, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 14
audio interfaces ussually don't have heaps of power, and if you have headphones that are hard to drive, like yours, then you might not necessarily need a better dac, but just a headphone amp fed from the main outputs of your interface, to give you more power.

this way you might get more for your money, as independant headphone amps tend to be cheaper than those with an inbuilt dac.

May 6, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 14
audio interfaces ussually don't have heaps of power, and if you have headphones that are hard to drive, like yours, then you might not necessarily need a better dac, but just a headphone amp fed from the main outputs of your interface, to give you more power.

this way you might get more for your money, as independant headphone amps tend to be cheaper than those with an inbuilt dac.
It's an interesting idea that someone in another thread suggested too. The only problem with it is that then my headphones would be connected to the same source as my monitors (my interface), and ideally i'd like to set-and-forget a systemwide EQ for my headphones without it affecting my monitors. I fear that i'll forget to turn the EQ off for my speakers. :sweat_smile: Maybe a silly reason, but i do have ADHD so it's something to consider, haha.

I asked Antelope support what the headphone amp specs in my interface are and this is what they said:
Thank you for reaching out. Victor here with Antelope's tech support.
I'm copy-pasting the answer from our hardware engineer: 7.5Vrms / (120ohm resistor in series + hp impedance)
Wattage: 7.5 * 7.5 / (120 + hp impedance)
I have no idea what to do with that information. Do you?
Is it enough to drive these Hifiman headphones?

Some more specs of the interface:
Output Level ( unloaded ) 20dBu max
Output impedance 120 ohms
Dynamic Range: 121dB
THD + N: – 100dB
Recommended HP Impedance 16Ω to 600Ω

I'm not totally sure how to interpret these numbers

*Edit: It should also be noted that the interface has 4 HP outputs, that i'm fairly sure are able to play at the same time.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 14
It's an interesting idea that someone in another thread suggested too. The only problem with it is that then my headphones would be connected to the same source as my monitors (my interface), and ideally i'd like to set-and-forget a systemwide EQ for my headphones without it affecting my monitors. I fear that i'll forget to turn the EQ off for my speakers.
fair enough, often i have this problem, i wonder why my speakers sound odd then remember the eq and vice versa

May 6, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 14
For a budget gear, you can get the Schiit DAC. If you want an all in one, dac and amp, to be under 300 then get the Schiit Magni Unity for 119 is good.

If you want usb powered and more portable then get the FiiO BRT7 or other FiiO products. The only down side is that it sounds a bit dry. However it has everything you wanted plus Bluetooth.
Can backup the Schiit DACs!

May 6, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 14
Hopefully, your budget meant USD and your speakers have balanced inputs, as this AMP (no DAC, but a balanced DAC dongle that can be added for as low as $60 USD, like the HiBy FC3) has onboard XBass, XSpace, and combined with 4 gain levels, 3 inputs, and 1 balanced 4.4mm output:

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll...ignature-limited-editiojn-headphone-amplifier
My speakers do have balanced inputs (APS Klasik 2020), but does this Zen amp have balanced outputs? It looks like it only has one 1/4" output, how does that work?

I found a good used deal for this amp for $200 AUD. But I'm not sure how I would run my speakers through it?

I have an interface with a HP DAC for what it's worth

May 6, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 14
My speakers do have balanced inputs (APS Klasik 2020), but does this Zen amp have balanced outputs? It looks like it only has one 1/4" output, how does that work?

I found a good used deal for this amp for $200 AUD. But I'm not sure how I would run my speakers through it?

I have an interface with a HP DAC for what it's worth

The output on the zen can amp is usually 4.4mm balanced (or RCA out on the zen can air model) and you would need this adapter and XLR extension cables for your monitors to connect to the zen amp:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204472270809

https://djcity.com.au/product/connex-xmxf-3-xlr-microphone-cable-3m/

Also, the XBass and XSpace settings can slightly vary by the zen can model that is designated, so you really should check the response charts for that used zen can.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks.

I probably wouldn't use the xbass and xspace features tbh, I'm an audio engineer, need purity/reference style signal

Also looking at the Topping L70 and Topping DX5 Lite atm (used). But not sure whether buying them would be a lateral move or not. How do I compare them against my Antelope interface's HP amp with the data I was given?

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks.

I probably wouldn't use the xbass and xspace features tbh, I'm an audio engineer, need purity/reference style signal

Also looking at the Topping L70 and Topping DX5 Lite atm (used). But not sure whether buying them would be a lateral move or not. How do I compare them against my Antelope interface's HP amp with the data I was given?

For what you want with the Topping items, you will probably need to try them out yourself with your gear and have a solid refund strategy with what you do not want.

Here are some amps that are on pre-order and sale as well:

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/hifiman-ef499-dac-amplifier

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ifi-audio-zen-can-signature-hfm-headphone-amplifier

May 7, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 14
For what you want with the Topping items, you will probably need to try them out yourself with your gear and have a solid refund strategy with what you do not want.

Here are some amps that are on pre-order and sale as well:

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/hifiman-ef499-dac-amplifier

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ifi-audio-zen-can-signature-hfm-headphone-amplifier
50% off the Zen, that's got my attention.

So what's the difference between the Zen above that's 50% off, and the other Zen on their website that's $539? https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/prod...ignature-limited-editiojn-headphone-amplifier
Both the same name except one has "limited edition" in its name and is different colour.

Also, what's the difference between the 50% off Zen, and the non-Signature version Zen that was measured on ASR in 2021? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ifi-zen-can-review-headphone-amp.25224/

Also, any particular reason you recommend the Zen over the usual recommendations like Topping, SMSL, Schiit etc? Was it a random choice or is there something to particularly appreciate over the others in its price range?

May 8, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 14
50% off the Zen, that's got my attention.

So what's the difference between the Zen above that's 50% off, and the other Zen on their website that's $539? https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/prod...ignature-limited-editiojn-headphone-amplifier
Both the same name except one has "limited edition" in its name and is different colour.

Also, what's the difference between the 50% off Zen, and the non-Signature version Zen that was measured on ASR in 2021? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ifi-zen-can-review-headphone-amp.25224/

Also, any particular reason you recommend the Zen over the usual recommendations like Topping, SMSL, Schiit etc? Was it a random choice or is there something to particularly appreciate over the others in its price range?

In regards to the regular/signature zen can amps, the most apparent difference is the name brand electrical parts between the two with the regular amps from an currently unknown company (probably the best value type, which is just above average in most comparisons with other amps) and signature amps have Panasonic parts included for certain parts. There are other smaller differences, like power supply quality and such, but the advertised part types are the most obvious.

As for the Zen Can line, I have just found it as the best overall value proposition, as it is a Class-A headphone amp that I found used for $150 USD at the time that had a max power output of almost 2 watts @ 64 ohms on its balanced out and up to 15V (almost never gets to that point) on its balanced out as well and is plenty for my hearing. I have owned a bunch of headphone amps and this one had the most value for me. It has been a while since I attended a CanJam, but this amp gets at least 80% to the best amps that I have heard for my most preferred genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back