Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
May 15, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #1,501 of 1,506
I love the HM1 as a preamp so not having it kills a lot of my interest. Granted I paid for the full HM1 so wouldn't get it anyways.
Sonically it is amazing and the tone + stereo base controls make it a great and unique preamp, but I really value being able to set the preamp gain in decibels as it allows for volume consistency and level matching.
I've resorted to using HQPlayer digital volume control with the HM1 preamp turned all the way up, which works well enough.

May 15, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #1,502 of 1,506
Sonically it is amazing and the tone + stereo base controls make it a great and unique preamp, but I really value being able to set the preamp gain in decibels as it allows for volume consistency and level matching.
I've resorted to using HQPlayer digital volume control with the HM1 preamp turned all the way up, which works well enough.

How good can a headphone amp get?

Legit question.

Is there a noticeable difference let’s say between the RME headphone amp and the ZAHL?
Could you pass a blind test?

Not trying to be snarky. I never tried such an expensive headphone amp.
I do have benchmark gear but not the HPA4. I have the LA4 and it’s amazing

Also I see you have the Ifi zen can. How does that compare ? It can’t sound 10 times less.

Cheers

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,503 of 1,506
How good can a headphone amp get?

Is there a noticeable difference let’s say between the RME headphone amp and the ZAHL?
Could you pass a blind test?

Also I see you have the Ifi zen can. How does that compare ? It can’t sound 10 times less.
You ask some difficult to answer questions so you get a long slightly off-topic answer haha.

I have not done a blind test but I am not sure I would pass it. I very quickly get switching fatigue and everything sounds the same. The brain quickly adapts to a given standard so I feel like the most honest impression happens the first few songs after switching from a setup you've been using a while.
While visually switching from 4k 120hz to a 720p 60hz screen is jarring and horrible, I've found the brain is much more forgiving when switching audio gear.

Often if i'm visiting my parents and i've been listening to the RME for a weekend (it's so nice and portable!) I miss nothing in the sound, it sounds great. I've often thought: is my big stack at home really better than this? Then the moment I'm home again and put on the first song I get a big smile on my face.
The main difference for me between HM1 and the RME amp is that the HM1 makes me want to keep listening. It makes me head-bang, toe tap and air strum and everything sounds good, correct and not fatiguing.

The Zen Can certainly doesn't sound 10 times less. The Zen Can is a great little amplifier, but I wanted the best and according to a lot of trusted ears the HM1 was it. Cost me a year worth of savings but it brings me joy every day :)

May 16, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,504 of 1,506
You ask some difficult to answer questions so you get a long slightly off-topic answer haha.

I have not done a blind test but I am not sure I would pass it. I very quickly get switching fatigue and everything sounds the same. The brain quickly adapts to a given standard so I feel like the most honest impression happens the first few songs after switching from a setup you've been using a while.
While visually switching from 4k 120hz to a 720p 60hz screen is jarring and horrible, I've found the brain is much more forgiving when switching audio gear.

Often if i'm visiting my parents and i've been listening to the RME for a weekend (it's so nice and portable!) I miss nothing in the sound, it sounds great. I've often thought: is my big stack at home really better than this? Then the moment I'm home again and put on the first song I get a big smile on my face.
The main difference for me between HM1 and the RME amp is that the HM1 makes me want to keep listening. It makes me head-bang, toe tap and air strum and everything sounds good, correct and not fatiguing.

The Zen Can certainly doesn't sound 10 times less. The Zen Can is a great little amplifier, but I wanted the best and according to a lot of trusted ears the HM1 was it. Cost me a year worth of savings but it brings me joy every day :)

Ha, thanks man!

Ok that makes more sense to me now.
I agree that the ears are much more odd than eyes. More quirky but sophisticated.

I was wondering since listening for differences between a headphone amp that doesn’t measure that well vs one that does is easier.
But listening to two which measure very well must be more difficult.
Funny thing is that I had the RME here for awhile and didn’t like it nearly as much as the Zen Can Sig I just bought. But that also could be for a number of factors. Who knows. Of course for most of everything the Zen Can measures very very well. Except for crosstalk. But that is mostly inaudible they say.

I was just wondering. How good can it get if two measure very well? If that makes sense. Like is the soundstage bigger on one? But that would mean somehow one is enhancing it.
Anyway, I think you know what I mean.
Tubes of course do sound different most of the time.

I guess it depends on topology of the amp.

Thanks man. 90% of my money goes to my speaker system, so I am trying to understand more of headphone stuff including amplifiers.

Cheers!

May 24, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,505 of 1,506
I had a question about the balance control of the HM1, does it work if using the HM1 as a preamp and through the line out? I know the tone controls work but the Servo/Class A mode does not affect the line out signal, not sure if the balance control does either.

May 25, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,506 of 1,506
I had a question about the balance control of the HM1, does it work if using the HM1 as a preamp and through the line out? I know the tone controls work but the Servo/Class A mode does not affect the line out signal, not sure if the balance control does either.
Yes the balance control also carries over to the pre outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back