ZMF Auteur Thread
May 13, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #8,371 of 8,380
I started majority of my Auteur Classic listening with iBasso D16 —> PB5, but then I switch to Goldnote DS-10 Plus—> Cayin HA-3A. I plugged my Auteur Classic into the 4.4mm output of the HA-3A and set the impedance setting to high. It sounds sweet and spacious to my ears. I switch between headphones throughout the day, but usually grab the Auteur Classic first.

May 13, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #8,372 of 8,380
Interesting. I had an Aeolus and sold it a while back. But I really want an Auteur. Someday I will get one.
That someday is today. 😄

May 13, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #8,373 of 8,380
I started majority of my Auteur Classic listening with iBasso D16 —> PB5, but then I switch to Goldnote DS-10 Plus—> Cayin HA-3A. I plugged my Auteur Classic into the 4.4mm output of the HA-3A and set the impedance setting to high. It sounds sweet and spacious to my ears. I switch between headphones throughout the day, but usually grab the Auteur Classic first.
The HA-3A may end up being my first tube amp, just waiting to see what Schiit does with the Valhalla 3 in a few months.

How do you like the Auteur compared to the Caldera?

May 13, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #8,374 of 8,380
I am new to the Auteur Classic but it has managed something that neither the Atrium, Atticus, Verite or Aelous managed before.... it is staying in my system!
I tend to find most ZMFs a bit dark for my taste but somehow the Auteur Classic with Perforated Caldera pads strikes a great balance for me. Besides, it is such a beautiful headphone! I enjoy it the most off the tubes on the Decware ZMF OTL Reference amp, great combination!!!!
I also went through a few ZMF models, an Aeolus and multiple Verite Closed sets in my case, before settling on the OG Auteur. Only now that I have an Atrium Closed and Meze Elite taking up most of my listening time have I even considered selling my beloved Manchurian Ash Auteur.

On top of that, the new commercial Aegis is calling my name! If I end up buying it, I would definitely have to part with some of my cherished headphones/amps/cables to help cushion the blow of a $3300 tube amp. Problem is, I really want to hear my Auteur on the Aegis!

As an aside, are you using the Lambskin Caldera Ultra Perforated pads with your Auteur Classic?

May 13, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #8,375 of 8,380
I tend to find most ZMFs a bit dark for my taste but somehow the Auteur Classic with Perforated Caldera pads strikes a great balance for me.
That’s awesome, and not totally surprising. It’s really living up to its namesake for you! You’re “authoring” your own ZMF experience.

May 13, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #8,377 of 8,380
The HA-3A may end up being my first tube amp, just waiting to see what Schiit does with the Valhalla 3 in a few months.

How do you like the Auteur compared to the Caldera?
The HA-3A continues to impress me, and I’m still using the stock tubes.

I ordered and received my Auteur and Caldera at the same time. I focused on the Auteur as it’s my first dynamic driver headphone. When paired with HA-3A there is a sweet decay, which is what I’m looking for in vocals. I have the auteur perforated suede pads on (haven’t tried the Auteur perforated lambskin). It’s not technical like the Caldera, but I don’t desire for it to be like the Caldera. The Auteur does its own thing. I find its strength over the Caldera are vocals. The Caldera is technical but doesn’t try to go over the top with it. There’s some restraint in the treble compared to my other planar, the HE1000se. It has nice timbre and doesn’t sound metallic, so it works for a wide range of music. I do need more time with Caldera though as I’m burning in my Auteur first.

May 18, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #8,379 of 8,380
I’m loving country music with Auteur Classic. It’s bringing out the smooth tonality of country accents. The Auteur is great with vocals, and it pairs beautifully with country songs where lyrics are important to the genre.

On a side note, I was testing the settings of Apple Music. I switched it to Hi-Res Lossless. The Auteur sounded more punchy, but it sounded harsh at times. I did not like it. I’ll test it again just to be sure, but for now I switched it back to Lossless. The Auteur is back to giving me that sweeter and smoother presentation.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #8,380 of 8,380
I’m loving country music with Auteur Classic. It’s bringing out the smooth tonality of country accents. The Auteur is great with vocals, and it pairs beautifully with country songs where lyrics are important to the genre.

On a side note, I was testing the settings of Apple Music. I switched it to Hi-Res Lossless. The Auteur sounded more punchy, but it sounded harsh at times. I did not like it. I’ll test it again just to be sure, but for now I switched it back to Lossless. The Auteur is back to giving me that sweeter and smoother presentation.

Agree the Auteurs are wonderful for vocals and I like them for Blues genres as well. For country vocals I break out some George Jones and Merle Haggard. I miss ol' Possum and Merle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back