ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 18, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #7,307 of 7,312
I really didn't anticipate to be such an outlier :grimacing:
There is nothing wrong with preferring the softer sounding suede pads. They probably fit your most listened music genres just well. :beerchug:

May 18, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #7,308 of 7,312
So based on the poll and all the positive comments I gave the thick pads another go and same results. When first try them, I actually really like the changes; more sub bass, big soundstage, and layering and separation. But then as I get to more familiar tracks like The Flaming Lips - One More Robot off Yoshimi album, things start to head south. The extra bass feels a little unbalanced and more like I’m listening to a closed headphone. I can feel the pressure but not in a good way. That track has this punchy deep bass that runs thru the track. And then the vocals are just a hint too recessed for my taste.
The longer I'm in this hobby the more I believe the adage "trust your own ears." :) Personally, I fell in love with the thick pads as soon as I tried them, until I swapped quickly between Caldera w/ thick pads and Susvara, and then Caldera+thick sounded thick and veiled. Went back to the stock pads, but was unenthusiastic about it. Switched back to the thick pads, and once again I love my Caldera. The moral of the story is don't switch back and forth. Pick a headphone for the evening and just go with it. :wink:

I doubt we will get many more votes, only two came in the last 48 hours.

I wouldn't say this is a proper representative survey about the preferences of all Caldera owners, but with 37 votes it definitely seems to reflect the choice of us forum dwellers.
I was expecting the stock and thick pads to receive pretty much equal number of votes, but it has turned out, twice as many owners actually prefer the thick pads to stocks (including me).

I have to add, that pad swapping can also be a fine-tuning tool to your system synergy, so some people might prefer different pads on different systems.
Also, high five to the only voter on the suedes. Dare to be different! :)
I hypothesize that ZMF owners are predisposed to liking warmer darker tunings, hence the thick pads are a popular choice among enthusiasts. Who's to say that an unbiased first time listener wouldn't actually prefer the stock pads? Either way, I simply went ahead and ordered all of the pads and will play with them all when I get bored.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7,309 of 7,312
Added the MT-604 to the mix, and really like how they add a little extra low end to the Caldera. And yes, those are the thick pads. :)

IMG_2095.png

May 18, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #7,310 of 7,312
The moral of the story is don't switch back and forth. Pick a headphone for the evening and just go with it.

That is one of the best advice you could offer, and I second that wholeheartedly.

One doesn't listen to music switching back and forth, or in comparison. And the brain takes time, 15-20 min or more, to "acclimatize" to a new sound profile. Quick switching doesn't let you know whether something is better or worse, and in fact distorts what it may sound like if you just let time pass.

The best way to listen is to relax and lean back. Let the music wash over you as you would actually listen to it naturally. It's the only way to find out what it may actually sound like to you..

Great advice!

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #7,312 of 7,312
Added the MT-604 to the mix, and really like how they add a little extra low end to the Caldera. And yes, those are the thick pads. :)

IMG_2095.png
Owned the MT-604 for a stint. It's really a fun, little tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back