Any news on the Questyle CMA Twelve?
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #121 of 134
I'm still evaluating Schiit Mjolnir 2 and CMA 12 with He1000se. I'm slightly leaning towards CMA 12 because it's tighter and sweeter. Both warm to varying degrees. Not talking tube amps kind of warm but just sufficient to make it sound more musical.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #122 of 134
Oh I did not even know about this thread, I have owned a CMA12 for a few Months now, and its a brilliant amp that I love very much.

I pair it with both my HD800S and HD6xx, and it has great synergy with both of them, nice clarity/details, good bass impact, great imaging/soundstage. It is honestly an awesome AIO.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #123 of 134
Things moved fast for me @Bruc3 . My CMA 12 is no more, replaced by Elekit TU-8500 and TU-8200.

Enjoy though because the CMA 12 is one of the few ss amp that really surprised me with how good it sound. Even the dac and of course the preamp.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #124 of 134
My CMA 12 is no more, replaced by Elekit TU-8500 and TU-8200.

Im not surprised, I feel you have always been more of a tube guy and that Elekit sounds like something special.

For ss like you said the CMA12 sounds great, and for me no longer feel the urge to chase another ss amp/dac.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #125 of 134
The CMA 12 appeal to me because it has a slight warm tint in the tone. It's certainly not like the bright Topping A90 that my son has. This is where matching with dac and headphone is important. imo both amp can sound good with the right combination.

It's just that with He1000se and CMA 12, I'm totally contented ... until I use one of my tube amps. :wink:

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #126 of 134
I had the opportunity to do a in-depth comparison between the CMA Twelve Master and 600i.
My main headphone is an HD800 that I am using with the Oratory1990 Harman Preset with Peace GUI. I also tested a Focal Clear (which I sold now), a Meze Empyrean and an HD800S.

CMA 600i vs Twelve Master:
Both units are really fantastic devices and one can be happy with owning either of them.
The 600i is clearly tuned differently then the Twelve Master, meaning the 600i is a little dryer + colder sounding with more "slam" character (upper base hits tighter, trebles however peak a little more).
This is especially beneficial in genres like EDM or synthesizer beats.
However the different tuning of the 600i also has the side-effect of the 600i being a little "harsher" when listening back to back with the Twelve Master, meaning you can listen to the Twelve Master longer without noticeable fatigue (at higher volume levels).
On the other hand the Twelve Master sounds "unexciting" at first when directly switching from the 600i, as its missing a little bit of that additional energy the tuning of the 600i brings, however once the ears adjust to the tuning difference it is very balanced and almost a little "tuby".

Headphone pairing:
  • Focal Clear (tested without EQ and with Oratory1990 preset) - really metallic timber (both on 600i and Twelve Master, EQ off or on), I would say stay away from Focal headphones in combination with an Questyle 600i or 12/12 Master. This headphones sounds MUCH better (no sharp trebles + metallic timber) with an Cocktail Audio HA500H (which I also own).
  • Meze Empyrean (tested without EQ and with Oratory1990 preset) - Sounds much more engaging then with other Amp's, the whole FR becomes much "tighter". However there is a slight sharpness in its treble (depending on the track).
  • HD800/HD800S (tested without EQ and with Oratory1990 preset) - Unsurprisingly the HD800(S) pairs really well with both Questyle Amp's, without EQ the 800S sounds better (which is to be expected). However with Oratory1990 EQ applied, both Headphones sound identical with the exception of the 800S becoming louder at the same volume setting due to the lower decrease in pre-gain. Both headphones get more then loud enough. I STRONGLY encourage people owning an HD800 or HD800S + Questyle AMP to try Oratory1990's EQ preset, as it sounds simply fantastic. No treble harshness at all, very punchy base and overall very enjoyable sound signature. With all other AMP's I have tried, the HD800(S) still has an harshness in it's treble presentation (even with EQ appiled), but all of this is completely gone when using it with Questyle 600i/12 Master.
Edit (picture of the stack):
IMG_20210214_091209.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #127 of 134
On the other hand the Twelve Master sounds "unexciting" at first when directly switching from the 600i, as its missing a little bit of that additional energy the tuning of the 600i brings, however once the ears adjust to the tuning difference it is very balanced and almost a little "tuby".

Comparing my CMA12 to my OTL tube amp, I also agree that CMA12 has a slight tubey and warmish sound signature for an solid state amp.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #128 of 134
If I have to make a list, from being the least warm to the warmest in sound:
- XI Audio Formula S
- Wells Audio Milo Kozmo Vishay
- Questyle CMA 12 Master
- Violectric V281

I do agree with slight tubey nature on 12 master, and that's also one of the reasons why I made immediate jump from drier 600i.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #130 of 134
I am so curious that what is different between the master and the 12 version.
Rogers ceramic PCB on the master as well as some hand matched components for the balanced right/left channels.

From their website:
There are two versions of CMA Twelve, the first is the CMA Twelve Standard, the other being the CMA Twelve Master. The CMA Twelve Master has a “MASTER” laser etching, and features a ROGERS Ceramic PCB to ensure the ultimate performance for sound quality and in specifications. The finish of both the CMA Twelve Standard and CMA Twelve Master are both available in your choice of Golden or Black.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #131 of 134
Rogers ceramic PCB on the master as well as some hand matched components for the balanced right/left channels.

From their website:
There are two versions of CMA Twelve, the first is the CMA Twelve Standard, the other being the CMA Twelve Master. The CMA Twelve Master has a “MASTER” laser etching, and features a ROGERS Ceramic PCB to ensure the ultimate performance for sound quality and in specifications. The finish of both the CMA Twelve Standard and CMA Twelve Master are both available in your choice of Golden or Black.
Thank you so much

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #132 of 134
I just purchased a CMA Twelve Master from Audio 46. It should be here next week.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #133 of 134
Still waiting for my clear top lid to arrive but wow, the Twelve Master is sounding FANTASTIC!
Once a Burson Soloist 3X arrives, I will compare the TM to the Denafrips Ares 12th-1/Burson combo.
They will drive a pair of HEK V2 Stealth.
IMG_20230915_044514425_HDR.jpg

May 17, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #134 of 134
I just posted my thoughts on the CMA Twelve Master here
Hello Slim 1970 and forum colleagues. I bought a Questyle CMA Twelve Master. It works great but the source button on the device doesn't work. Nothing happens at all when I press it. Is that because I only have one source. However, the selection works on the remote control. Am I doing something wrong or is the button broken?
Thank you for a short message! Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back