HE1000 SE vs V2
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

h2oglasses

Head-Fier
I have been enjoyed with Arya SE, but began venturing a new word.
Originally I was thinking to get a HE1000SE for finer resolution and larger sound stage over Arya,
but realized that some of experts say has too bright characteristics.
whereas, the v2 softer with competitive quality to SE.
Also, I noticed that HiFiMan still sells v2.

Now, lookin for advise to decide which product I should go.
My main music genre is general classical, especially Piano related music.
As it's going to consume all my fund for a new phones, I stay with the current gears, i.e.
- RME ADI-2 DAC FS,
- Phonitor Xe.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

M.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 32
I just made the same upgrade and went with the HE1000SE. The increase in detail and stronger bass were the main drivers. I have run them using the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack and find that it controls the highs well. Very clear but not as harsh. The highs of the Arya V3 never bothered me and neither does the Hekse so far. However, I have also run them of the head amp on the DAVE and the highs are sharper.

Hope this gives you some form of reference.

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 32
From memory, My experience from a couple of years ago when going from the he1000v2 to se:

the se may have been a tad brighter. The brightness does come back a bit over a bit if time. On the other hand the treble is a bit better controlled in the se.

that was one of the differences between the two.

I found that the se has PRECISION placement in its staging. Very tight punchy bottom end whilst the v2 has a bit more texture/tactile nature.

the se is very easy to drive well. I very much enjoyed it straight out of my ipad as well as my desk top gear. I have not found any other top end headphone that does so well with inexpensive gear.

the v2 is very well priced at the moment at $1999

you could buy that and layer pay $1000 to upgrade to se of hifiman keep that offer running (best to check with them in that)

personally i found the uograde from the v2 to se as a luxury more than a necessity

i only sold the se after i bought the susvaras

all this is just my humble opinion feom my own experiences in this subjective hobby

all the best

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 32
Thank you very much for your feedback. Eventually I chose V2. My plan is go to Susvana, if I need more performance immediately.
The SE is considerably more bright compared to the HE1000V2. This brightness adds to a higher level of perceived technicalities but comes at the cost of musicality and richness of tone that the HE1000V2 has.

The V2 sounds considerably more akin to the Susvara in more ways than the SE does so if your eventual goal is to upgrade to the Susvara I'd focus your attention to the V2.

The V2 is now discontinued by HiFiMan and priced dropped accordingly so now is the time to buy one if you're looking.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 32
Depends. What's your equipment? Tastes? Budget now and say 2 years. Ultimate goal.

The SE is more - more lows, more highs, more hifi. If your listening background is all amplified and processed - then this is your can. If your other equipment is warm/clear it might be a great match.

The v2 is to me more analog, more true timbre. It's more vivid in the highs than the E2 or HEX v2 but it falls more into that camp. It's weakness is the bass which isn't satisfying as the SE, and no match for the HE-6 SE v2 - never mind the OG.

The other side is the SE, and Arya pre SE, etc.

The Susvara fits in between - perhaps w/ a lean towards the v2. But it's a step over both. A notable one.

Value? V2 or Arya SE make good choices. But i'd take D8000 used over both.

I can't see at this moment the SE being a good deal unless it's your final happy stopping point. D8000 for me - or Susvara.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 32
Mighty impressed by HE1000 V2, it's like a mix between HD800 and HE6SE, even better details and layering than HD800 yet some good weight down low, bass slam is phenomenal, hard hitting and full of texture. Build quality is also surprisingly nice for HifiMan, nothing like HE6SE, except these infamous medical tube cables (does anyone actually use those? :smile:)
Why these phones are not more popular or talked about? 🤷‍♂️

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 32
The Arya Stealth and HE1000se are excellent headphones with their own merits.. You would probably struggle to find the differences unless you directly compared both in your listening environment. The difference to me seems to be the level of details retrieved as it relates to staging. For example listening to Kendrick Lamar - @#$%! Don't Kill My Vibe... the synths sound as if they are panned from left and center to infinite space on the HE1000se vs an arms length on the Arya Stealth.. I wouldn't necessarily call the HE1000se bright ... rather source dependent.

I have listened to the HE1000se on Questyle's Golden Reference System, Weiss DAC501/ Headamp GS-X Mk2, iBasso DX300, TEAC UD-505/Burson C3XR, and Burson C3XR. At no point did I feel like any of these pairings were too bright or tiring to listening to at length. I chose the HE1000se over an LCD-4z for the comfort, clarity, and the enjoyment I got from listening in these various setups. A little extra warmth definitely won't diminish the listening experience.

I can't speak to how the HE1000 V2 compares sound wise but if it's anything like the upper echelon of Hifiman's offerings it's probably another great headphone. If you can... audition both versions.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 32
Mighty impressed by HE1000 V2, it's like a mix between HD800 and HE6SE, even better details and layering than HD800 yet some good weight down low, bass slam is phenomenal, hard hitting and full of texture. Build quality is also surprisingly nice for HifiMan, nothing like HE6SE, except these infamous medical tube cables (does anyone actually use those? :smile:)
Why these phones are not more popular or talked about? 🤷‍♂️

HE1000 v2 is a bit laid back, music is more enjoying with HE6se

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 32
HE1000 v2 is a bit laid back, music is more enjoying with HE6se
Laid back? May be comparing to SE only, they are more aggressive than HD800 to the point I've questioned my acquisition, took few headtime hours to let ears burn in and make a peace with that.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 32
The burn-in completed, hearing much more open sound with HE1000 V2.
I really like them now! I agree that AryaSE makes sound a little more forward, especially the vocals, but
V2 provides more texture and musicality IMO.
I listen to 95% general classical, and 5% of '50s-'60s jazz, for which I choose HE1000 V2 over Arya SE without hesitation.
It would be an extrapolation, therefore I have no idea abut the accuracy of my assumption, but if I can apply the trend on Arya V2 SE on HE1000,
I guess HE1000SE would have better technicalities than V2,
but I read couples statements that V2 has more sound stage, which I personally confirmed the trend on Arya (V2 to SE).
Therefore I can declare now that I am well settled with HE1000 V2.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 32
I really like them now! I agree that AryaSE makes sound a little more forward, especially the vocals, but
I listen to 95% general classical, and 5% of '50s-'60s jazz, for which I choose HE1000 V2 over Arya SE without hesitation.
It would be an extrapolation, therefore I have no idea abut the accuracy of my assumption, but if I can apply the trend on Arya V2 SE on HE1000,
but I read couples statements that V2 has more sound stage, which I personally confirmed the trend on Arya (V2 to SE).
As long as you are content and Happy with the end result. Hearing your favorite songs in all their splendor is the most gratifying part of this hobby of ours.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 32
does anyone here have any experience with the LCD-5 and any of the HEK variations or Susavara... how does the LCD-5 compare sound wise to the Hifiman phones...

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #15 of 32
Can the V2 be driven with a DAP, like the M17 or the DX320?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back