Hope this help you to explain Hi-Res music to your CD friends
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #256 of 517
You’re joking, how ridiculous. I did not ask you to break down the concept of SPL, I just asked what 120dB below 90dBSPL was. And you present all those calculations and give me an answer in the wrong unit, the question was in dBSPL, not micro-pascals. And after all that, your answer is effectively WRONG, given the context:

So, your answer is 0.632455532 μPa which in dB SPL is -30dBSPL. All that break down of concept and calculation and you would have got the same answer by doing the obvious, simply 90 - 120. How absolutely typical, not only have you taken the most convoluted path possible but you’ve actually ended up with the wrong answer!! Given the obvious conditions, listening to a recording in typical breathable air, then no sound at all is roughly -23dBSPL. IE. Inside a hypothetically perfect anechoic chamber that allows absolutely no sound to enter and in which there is absolutely no sound being reproduced, the SPL would measure approximately -23dBSPL simply due to the sound created by the air molecules in the room colliding with each other (Brownian motion). If no sound being reproduced whatsoever is -23dBSPL then obviously -30dBSPL cannot exist, you cannot reproduce less sound than no sound.

Again, you’ve got that completely backwards, no real scientist would make a claim without knowing or at least finding out the conditions, only an ignorant person, an idiot or a“pseudo scientist” would! Using μPa, no reproduced sound at all (in air) would be roughly 1.4 μPa. So yes, absolutely 0.632455532 μPa = 0 μPa and indeed anything below roughly 1.4 μPa is “exactly the same” because lower than that does not exist!! This is only hypothetical though, in practice the quietest room ever built has a noise floor of -19.5dBSPL (roughly 2.1 μPa).

In terms of sound reproduction then yes of course they’re exactly the same, because I’m not an “ignorant person, an idiot or a pseudo scientist”!

It is perfect.

Would people consider something that has imperfections which do not exist in the real world to be perfect? What about sane, rational, realistic people?

You are contradicting yourself! You stated “I am not an audio science expert” and now you’re saying “to my trained eyes”. As the topic you’re arguing about is audio/sound science and you admit (and have clearly demonstrated!) you do not have expertise, then you do not have “trained eyes”.

If you were “interested in critical thinking” then you would adhere to the definition of critical thinking that you YOURSELF posted, but you do not! So, the only question remaining is: Are you only lying to us or are you lying to yourself as well?

At last, two relevant questions! The answer to the first one is: Nonsense/BS/Pseudoscience. The answer to the second one appears to be: Oh dear god Yes! Although it seems more likely that you are not mentally blocked, you are just pretending to be, in order to troll and spread pseudoscience.

The point above your most relevant questions is interesting though. The first sentence is at least partially false because I don’t think anyone here believes “Hi-Res is useless”, only that it is useless as a consumer distribution format. However, those with some expertise in the subject can/do indeed have different definitions of perfect! In the real world, we are dealing with absolute minimum limits under given conditions, at and beyond which we can legitimately describe something as perfect. We have the limits of human hearing, we have the limits of sound itself (as discussed above), we have the limits of an analogue signal (defined at least by Thermal/Johnson Noise) and then we have the limits of digital audio, which is quite different because that is not the real world, it’s the conceptual world of numbers, hence why we need ADCs and DACs of course. Therefore, as each of these limits is different, the point at which “perfect” is reached is different (although obviously not to an “ignorant person, an idiot or a pseudo scientist”)!

Your apparent concept of “perfect” is utterly irrelevant nonsense! It can never exist in any of these audio/sound areas (and is therefore useless/meaningless), it would require an infinite sample rate and bit depth in the digital domain, breaking the laws of physics in both the analogue and acoustic sound domains and being some sort of extraterrestrial god (not subject to the laws of physics) as far as hearing is concerned!

Why do you keep discrediting your own arguments? You quoted “critical thinking” from Wikipedia and then did NOT comply with the quoted conditions to achieve it. Now you quote Wikipedia again: “Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.” - Which is exactly what you are doing, thereby discrediting your own arguments due to confirmation bias!

Yes, we already know you are demonstrating confirmation bias and a lack of critical thinking, so why do you need to explain that to us explicitly with citations, why are you arguing on that basis in science discussion forums and what response do you expect if you just keep repeating arguments based on those fallacies (confirmation bias and a lack of critical thinking)?

G
Sorry for my ignorance. I am more than happy to learn from you regarding how to calculate SPL correctly if you don't mind.

Could you show me step by step how you come up with you answer (like what I did with my earlier reply).

As I emphasized, I am not an audio science expert, I am just trained to identify pseudo science claims. (BTW, I don't think audio scientist is trained to identify pseudo science claim, am I correct?).

With my trained eyes (not as a audio science expert), I can identify psuedo science claims easily (of course I could be wrong too) but not SPL calculation in the audio science space.

But as I said earlier, the correctness of the calculation has nothing to do with my ability to identify pseudo science. If it was that easily, IMO, a lot of people who are good at SPL calculation would not be tricked in pseudo science claim. If you really want to know, IMO, only critical thinking can identify pseudo science.

Anyway, I really want to know how you calculate the SPL. If you don't mind, could you share with me how you calculate it? Thanks.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #257 of 517
I am still lookiing for a good DAC for DSD512 (or even DSD1024). I love DSD upsampling better than PCM in general.

HQPlayer’s noise shaper has something to do with your preference towards DSD and completely bypassing any filtering steps in your delta sigma DAC

May 6, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #258 of 517
HQPlayer’s noise shaper has something to do with your preference towards DSD and completely bypassing any filtering steps in your delta sigma DAC
Thanks for your reply. I did contact the developer of HQPlayer, Jussi Laako, via Roon forum and asked him a lot of questions.
He is so helpful and I did learn a lot from him regarding both HQPlayer specific and non-HQPlayer specific knowledge.

BTW, he was also banned from ASR as he brought some incompatible info / facts to them. LOL.

May 6, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #259 of 517
BTW, as we discussed earlier, different filter would have different impulse response.

Is there any measurement to quantify the level of ringing artifacts caused by different filter?

May 6, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #260 of 517
BTW, as we discussed earlier, different filter would have different impulse response.

Is there any measurement to quantify the level of ringing artifacts caused by different filter?

Quantifying the ringing artifacts is beyond my knowledge. As far as I know is that the steeper the attenuation at Nyquist, the longer the ripples and ultimately the longer the delay between input and output. And that’s why Jussi doesn’t recommend using long filters like Sinc-M or Sinc-L without oversampling to 1.5MHz or you face a long, long delay before you hear music

If you’re looking for a DAC, Holo Audio May is the best choice for HQPlayer since it has a dedicated 1-bit Sigma Delta encoder that’s separate from the discrete ladder DAC and can accept DSD1024 and 1.5MHz PCM

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #261 of 517
Sorry for my ignorance.
No you are not, if you were sorry would not keep demonstrating ignorance repeatedly!
Could you show me step by step how you come up with you answer (like what I did with my earlier reply).
I already did, 120dB below 90dB SPL is -30dBSPL, 90 - 120 = -30. I don’t know how to break it down step by step more than that. Maybe try 90 - 1 and do that -1 operation 120 times, if you’re not capable of figuring out 90 - 120 in one go. If you can’t figure that out for yourself, no wonder you need to be sorry for your ignorance!

Your calculation provided the correct result, as 0.632455532 μPa = -30dBSPL. However, it was a ridiculously over convoluted way of doing it and it was wrong as the question was asked in dBSPL not Pascals but mainly it was wrong because even converting into the correct unit, your result cannot exist as sound. A fact you seem more than happy to ignore, even though it goes to the heart of your claims!! Tell me again with reference to your Wikipedia quotes what that demonstrates!
As I emphasized, I am not an audio science expert, I am just trained to identify pseudo science claims.
I understand now, you can identify pseudo scientific claims in audio science because you don’t have any expertise in audio science. Thanks for that little gem, much appreciated! lol

Just out of curiosity, did your training only cover other people, EG. Were you only trained to identify pseudoscience claims made by other people but not pseudoscience claims you make yourself?

G

May 6, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #262 of 517
Quantifying the ringing artifacts is beyond my knowledge. As far as I know is that the steeper the attenuation at Nyquist, the longer the ripples and ultimately the longer the delay between input and output. And that’s why Jussi doesn’t recommend using long filters like Sinc-M or Sinc-L without oversampling to 1.5MHz or you face a long, long delay before you hear music

If you’re looking for a DAC, Holo Audio May is the best choice for HQPlayer since it has a dedicated 1-bit Sigma Delta encoder that’s separate from the discrete ladder DAC and can accept DSD1024 and 1.5MHz PCM
I think the higher the upsampling rate, the longer delay Sinc-L would take. I did DSD256 with Sinc-L, it was pretty long delay

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #264 of 517
No you are not, if you were sorry would not keep demonstrating ignorance repeatedly!

I already did, 120dB below 90dB SPL is -30dBSPL, 90 - 120 = -30. I don’t know how to break it down step by step more than that. Maybe try 90 - 1 and do that -1 operation 120 times, if you’re not capable of figuring out 90 - 120 in one go. If you can’t figure that out for yourself, no wonder you need to be sorry for your ignorance!

Your calculation provided the correct result, as 0.632455532 μPa = -30dBSPL. However, it was a ridiculously over convoluted way of doing it and it was wrong as the question was asked in dBSPL not Pascals but mainly it was wrong because even converting into the correct unit, your result cannot exist as sound. A fact you seem more than happy to ignore, even though it goes to the heart of your claims!! Tell me again with reference to your Wikipedia quotes what that demonstrates!

I understand now, you can identify pseudo scientific claims in audio science because you don’t have any expertise in audio science. Thanks for that little gem, much appreciated! lol

Just out of curiosity, did your training only cover other people, EG. Were you only trained to identify pseudoscience claims made by other people but not pseudoscience claims you make yourself?

G
"Your calculation provided the correct result" <=== Cool, thanks for your verification. It is good that my calculation is correct but in different unit.

"I understand now, you can identify pseudo scientific claims in audio science because you don’t have any expertise in audio science" <=== It is not a correct description. I would re-write like the following if I were you:

"I understand now, you can identify pseudo scientific claims in audio science because you have critical thinking and the knowledge in various areas, like Physics, Computer Science, and Psychology so that other people cannot BS with you easily. You will be able to debunk these BS easily with supporting facts"

My background in Psychology trained me to identify pseudo science claims. My other qualifications (Physics and Computer Science) trained me the other areas of science. I learned the sampling theory decades ago. Therefore, scientists / engineers cannot just BS with me easily. LOL.

I think I have a weird background and somehow looks to me that it fits perfectly to debunk pseudo science claim. Of course, I need to leverage the expertise from you guys in the audio science area too as I am not an expert in audio science like you guys. Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, with your expertise in the audio science, do you know if there is any measurement to quantify the level of ringing artifacts caused by different filter in a DAC?

Cheers. :gs1000smile:

May 6, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #265 of 517

G
BTW, did you check if you have confirmation bias with my little test?

May 6, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #266 of 517
BTW, did you check if you have confirmation bias with my little test?
BTW, you have not posted a confirmation bias test. You have claimed a scaled down optical illusion is a confirmation bias test, when it reality it stays an optical illusion illustration!

May 6, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #267 of 517
I think the higher the upsampling rate, the longer delay Sinc-L would take. I did DSD256 with Sinc-L, it was pretty long delay

Hmm. I haven't tried the Sinc-L with DSD rates lower than DSD512 during the time I was able to demo the May but the delay was definitely there but not 5 seconds long or something like that. Others forgo HQPlayer and just buy the Chord M-Scaler cause they've got tons of spare $$$, and they can use a smartphone and not tied to a software on PC to get the same feature of oversampling externally

May 6, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #268 of 517
BTW, you have not posted a confirmation bias test. You have claimed a scaled down optical illusion is a confirmation bias test, when it reality it stays an optical illusion illustration!
Here you are again: confirmation test

You can consider it as an optical illusion illustration if you want. I don't really care how the test is called.

Let's call it an activity if you feel that would make you feel better.

The little activity consists of a few pictures and a few questions regarding the pictures.

Based on the answers to the questions, it would help you to understand if you have confirmation bias.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 23.02.32.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 23.02.32.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
May 6, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #269 of 517
Here you are again: confirmation test

You can consider it as an optical illusion illustration if you want. I don't really care how the test is called.

Let's call it an activity if you feel that would make you feel better.

The little activity consists of a few pictures and a few questions regarding the pictures.

Based on the answers to the questions, it would help you to understand if you have confirmation bias.
You claim you have the skills to debunk pseudoscience, but this is an example of you engaging in it! You've just admitted you've made up this scenario of an optical illusion being a confirmation test. You yourself said the squares were a solid gray if they are rendered in the original image. Then you claimed that if the same image is scaled down, that if you say the squares are solid, you suffer from confirmation bias. It is amusing how much of a stretch you're making in trying to fit the definition with an optical illusion. As I said before, I'm trained in graphics, and know that the center column squares are solid values, but they look like gradients due to the other columns being gradients. Me knowing the answer isn't from a crowd of people suggesting my beliefs: it is me knowing what an optical illusion is and I explained how it works. The optical illusion is also the same if the image is 4000px wide or 300px.

May 6, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #270 of 517
Hmm. I haven't tried the Sinc-L with DSD rates lower than DSD512 during the time I was able to demo the May but the delay was definitely there but not 5 seconds long or something like that. Others forgo HQPlayer and just buy the Chord M-Scaler cause they've got tons of spare $$$, and they can use a smartphone and not tied to a software on PC to get the same feature of oversampling externally

I just did a test. I waited 30 seconds before I can hear the music.

May be it's related to my PC (32G, i7-13700HX, RTX4050 6G)

Screenshot 2024-05-06 231114.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back