Schiit Lyr+ : Impressions Thread
May 18, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #1,336 of 1,355
Of the tubes that I've tried, I would say that pretty much all of them offer fantastic sound staging. As far as distinguishing sound characteristics go, excellent and even holographic sound staging has been the main benefit of the Lyr+ vs my Violectric V550 or RNHP. I would appreciate some suggestions for tubes that might offer a more stereotypically tube qualities, or am I asking too much of the Lyr+ given that it's not an OTL amp in the first place? I do enjoy it very much, in fact the Lyr+ is EASILY the best $500 I've ever spent in HiFi.

May 18, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #1,337 of 1,355
Of the tubes that I've tried, I would say that pretty much all of them offer fantastic sound staging. As far as distinguishing sound characteristics go, excellent and even holographic sound staging has been the main benefit of the Lyr+ vs my Violectric V550 or RNHP. I would appreciate some suggestions for tubes that might offer a more stereotypically tube qualities, or am I asking too much of the Lyr+ given that it's not an OTL amp in the first place? I do enjoy it very much, in fact the Lyr+ is EASILY the best $500 I've ever spent in HiFi.

I think it's a bit half and half. One as you said this hybrid tube amp so inherently it will just be not as tubey.

Another thing is that I noticed you've tried mostly new production tubes, I find most new production tubes more or less sound the same character wise.

You should look into NOS tubes from the 1950s era lol. There is a Lyr tube rolling thread which has a lot of info.

But for starters I do enjoy CBS JAN CHS 6SN7WGTA and Sylvania 6J5GT x 2 (need twin tube adapter). There are other great options out there.

OH I do have a question, how do you find RNHP compares to Lyr+?

I keep reading conflicting results, some say RNHP is mid centric and roll off treble a bit, but some say RNHP is neutral so I'd find it boring coming from tube. Always wanted to try it but not sure if I should if I already enjoy the tube (colored) sound.

May 18, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,338 of 1,355
I think it's a bit half and half. One as you said this hybrid tube amp so inherently it will just be not as tubey.

Another thing is that I noticed you've tried mostly new production tubes, I find most new production tubes more or less sound the same character wise.

You should look into NOS tubes from the 1950s era lol. There is a Lyr tube rolling thread which has a lot of info.

But for starters I do enjoy CBS JAN CHS 6SN7WGTA and Sylvania 6J5GT x 2 (need twin tube adapter). There are other great options out there.

OH I do have a question, how do you find RNHP compares to Lyr+?

I keep reading conflicting results, some say RNHP is mid centric and roll off treble a bit, but some say RNHP is neutral so I'd find it boring coming from tube. Always wanted to try it but not sure if I should if I already enjoy the tube (colored) sound.
To me, the RNHP is neutral to slightly warm. It's a good amp in spite of the makers complete lack of respect for their own customers...lol. I've heard details through it that I've never heard from other amps and also it does have a very natural sound quality that is unique to my ear, so I keep it around. It's no where near as entertaining to listen to as the Lyr+. I've heard the Lyr+ for a couple of months now and I'm still digging through my library and finding albums to listen to or new music even. I have one NOS tube, the RCA GTB, definitely old but I can't say that it sounds especially different than the new ones I've got.

May 18, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,339 of 1,355
It's a good amp in spite of the makers complete lack of respect for their own customers...lol.

Ehhhh......? I don't follow the company enough to know the gossip side of things, what happened?

I've heard details through it that I've never heard from other amps and also it does have a very natural sound quality that is unique to my ear, so I keep it around.

Yeah that's what I read too, sounds like it has an unique sound signature so some people keep it around for that.

It's no where near as entertaining to listen to as the Lyr+. I've heard the Lyr+ for a couple of months now and I'm still digging through my library and finding albums to listen to or new music even.

This is my other concern, I generally like the "fun" sound. And I already have Lyr 3, so feel like there is a high chance that for my preference I might just like the Lyr 3 better.

I have one NOS tube, the RCA GTB, definitely old but I can't say that it sounds especially different than the new ones I've got.

From what I've been told, how old a tube is generally goes like this:

GT = older production
GTA = revised, later production, for the most part sounds like GT or GTA are both good
GTB = newer production, again, unofficially I've been told GT and GTA are better

So I don't know how accurate this is, also I've been told year of production year is important too, like shoot for 1950 ~ early 1960.

But then again shopping for NOS tube there's too many tell tales. I can't tell you "for sure" if you should follow something or not. It's a bit of hit or miss LOL. Also I'm still learning and is not an expert at this.

Best course of action is probably make a post in the Lyr Tube Rolling thread, and tell them your sound profile preference and see if anyone can steer you into the right direction. :relaxed:

May 18, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #1,340 of 1,355
Ehhhh......? I don't follow the company enough to know the gossip side of things, what happened?

Yeah that's what I read too, sounds like it has an unique sound signature so some people keep it around for that.

This is my other concern, I generally like the "fun" sound. And I already have Lyr 3, so feel like there is a high chance that for my preference I might just like the Lyr 3 better.

From what I've been told, how old a tube is generally goes like this:

GT = older production
GTA = revised, later production, for the most part sounds like GT or GTA are both good
GTB = newer production, again, unofficially I've been told GT and GTA are better

So I don't know how accurate this is, also I've been told year of production year is important too, like shoot for 1950 ~ early 1960.

But then again shopping for NOS tube there's too many tell tales. I can't tell you "for sure" if you should follow something or not. It's a bit of hit or miss LOL. Also I'm still learning and is not an expert at this.

Best course of action is probably make a post in the Lyr Tube Rolling thread, and tell them your sound profile preference and see if anyone can steer you into the right direction. :relaxed:
The RNHP was never designed for audiophiles. One look at one and you'll instantly see it was just meant to be a piece of studio gear. When audiophiles started buying them they very quickly raised the prices $200. Even worse, they repackaged pretty much the same amp in a nicer case and charged $1200 for it. They pretty much destroyed their own success and are now a cautionary tale of sorts.

May 19, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #1,341 of 1,355
The RNHP was never designed for audiophiles. One look at one and you'll instantly see it was just meant to be a piece of studio gear. When audiophiles started buying them they very quickly raised the prices $200. Even worse, they repackaged pretty much the same amp in a nicer case and charged $1200 for it. They pretty much destroyed their own success and are now a cautionary tale of sorts.

LOL oh yeah I mean I knew Rupert Neve Design was always meant for studio gear. And I knew about the price hike just didn't make the connection as to why. So this is the reason eh? I guess the Fidelice line was just the nail to the coffin.

That's interesting to know. But luckily when I search for RNHP I had the old market value in mind, so I guess I'm safe.

But as it stands maybe I'll focus more on Lyr 3 first, I'll come back to RNHP when I have excess funds way later. :joy:

May 19, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #1,342 of 1,355
Better yet, get a 2x 6J5-to-1x 6SN7 adapter and run 2x Sylvania 6J5s. Not only more affordable, but sonically as good or better than most "top-tier" [and pricey] 6SN7 tubes that I have tried. Separation and soundstaging with the 2x 6J5 cannot be beat IMHO.
I might have to try this. Not that I need to buy more tubes. 😆

May 21, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,344 of 1,355
Just got a lyr+ and it failed within 10 minutes of use 😂 😔
Mine occasionally glitches with power cycles, but corrects after turning off again, waiting then turning on.

May 21, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #1,346 of 1,355
You're not truly a Lyr+ owner until you've had one die. It's part of the Lyr+ experience.

May 21, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #1,347 of 1,355
I got my Lyr+ on Saturday and it is still working! I'm still waiting for the tube I ordered from Tube Depot, however, so maybe it is waiting until the tube is installed to break down. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 21, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,348 of 1,355
Just got a lyr+ and it failed within 10 minutes of use 😂 😔
You're not truly a Lyr+ owner until you've had one die. It's part of the Lyr+ experience.

LOLLLLL sorry to laugh at your misery but this is too funny.

I don't know, this just reminds me those classic movies where the protagonist must endure a certain "test" to obtain power, but failure will result in death.

Something like that. 🤣

Though I currently holds Lyr 3, do I need to experience death to obtain new power?

May 21, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #1,350 of 1,355
I’ve had the Lyr+ for a little over a week and I’m really loving it. No problems so far, about to buy a new tube for it. The stock Tung sol isn’t bad, but not very tubey sounding very neutral
... you will get more 'tubeyness' with an RCA 6SN7. Just know that as a hybrid VT / SS headphone amplifier, Lyr+ has a limit to the 'tubeyness' presented to the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back