The New Chord Quartet MScaler Discussion Thread
May 17, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #136 of 200
People happy to spend thousands on diy ferrite cables made in a shed but not on the extra it would cost between Hugo scaler and quartet
Well the price difference will not be nearly in the same category as adding ferrited BNCs to HMS was. My guess is we're talking a HUGE increase in price going from HMS to Quartet. But will there also be an easily audible, increase in SQ of a similar magnitude as the expected horrific extra cost with unamplified acoustic instruments music?
And do not forget that Rob admitted that those ferrited "made in a shed" BNCs improved SQ compared to the supplied ones with HMS and Dac used plugged in. But not running via batteries?
Interesting that he has made his own "identical to battery" PSU for Quartet. But will it work with Dave or any other Chord dacs as well or not?
And if not? WHY NOT?
Also interesting to hear him talk about competing pc pre upsamplers and algorithms .
But what if they too have improved their algorithms comparably recently?
The only such version I have compared with Robs mscaling was PGGB at some 30 M taps a few years ago.Interesting but too much hassle involved . Maybe Triode User could chime in on how things stand as far that competitor is concerned purely SQ wise when he has auditioned Quartet?
Personally I am of course very curious to hear how much Quartet actually improves SQ over HMS. But I am very unikely to get one unless Rob gives me one for free being "the unashamed fanboy I am,I am ....".
Stealing one would of course be an option. But this Atheist follows at least one of the Ten Commandments thoroughly. "Thow shalt not steal".
One thing will be quite certain though, price-wise Quartet will most probably NOT be talked about as "A steal for money" even among the most dedicated fanboys here.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #137 of 200
Maybe Triode User could chime in on how things stand as far that competitor is concerned purely SQ wise when he has auditioned Quartet?
Nick was one of, according to Rob's earlier post, 'select audiophiles' that had a listen on speakers with him?

May 17, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #139 of 200
Let’s just hope it has some save slots. Adjusting that 10 band eq every time I change headphone or to speakers would be a pain.

Make this a suggestion for @Rob Watts for if its not in there.
He can still implement some functions before it gets frozen with the release.

Perhaps we should create a wishlist

May 17, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #141 of 200
Perhaps we should create a wishlist
The 10 band eq with save slots and the one second delay setting for Nvidia Shield TV were the extras I wanted to have. Now I only wish it’s not too long until it comes out and it’s not too expensive.
This time it really seams to be my dream machine🙂.

May 17, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #143 of 200
One more interview:

So it shows the incoming samplerate on display.. @Rob Watts does (or can you make) it also show the bit depth of the source?

Screenshot_20240518-000633_Samsung Internet.jpg

May 17, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #146 of 200
I can already hear ASR people saying "oh they buy a 10 band eq for >15k" :sweat_smile:
It's usually that they can't afford nice toys, so they hate them and the people who own them instead. It's a sad existence. Much better to enjoy what one can.
Dmn
How can i edit a fogotten quote in a mssg 😑
Click on "quote" on the message. In the (new comment) editing box, click on the "[ ]" button to switch to the BBCode editor. Copy the entire quote text, including all the BBCode quoting tags.
Go back to the post you want to edit, and click on "Edit". Click on the "[ ]" toggle BBCode editor button on that too, and then you can easily paste the quote in where you wanted it.

May 17, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #147 of 200
"People who love nice things are going to love this. People who love inexpensive things are going to hate it"
Quote from my bike shop: Velosmith

May 18, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #148 of 200
It already has this - the DSP EQ has 5 settings, off and 4 settings that can be user set.
Will it be possible to make an assignment of one EQ preset to BNC outputs 1+2 and another EQ preset to BNC outputs 3+4?

Or as 1+3 and 2+4 pairs?

Thinking of speaker bi-amp configuration...

May 18, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #149 of 200
Will it be possible to make an assignment of one EQ preset to BNC outputs 1+2 and another EQ preset to BNC outputs 3+4?

Or as 1+3 and 2+4 pairs?

Thinking of speaker bi-amp configuration...
This is interesting indeed, one could ditch crossover filters in speakers. I would then really like to also see phase shifting options to align the speaker drivers 😃 One also needs two DAC's to feed the signals.

But i think the outputs are hardware circuit bound together by a multiplexer chip

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #150 of 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back