Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
May 4, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #1,516 of 1,542
I didn't have them both on hand together. My hunch would be that the Valkyria might be just a bit more resolving to me, but that they're both close. In terms of actual detail retrieval, all three (including the HE90) are probably close/similar. But the HE90 is just so good in every category that overall it competes with anything at any level, for me. Before this, the Susvara is what struck me as the most complete headphone (as in lack of weaknesses and strengths across the board). The HE90 beats it at that and it comes across as overall very resolving. But I wouldn't expect to hear things that I wouldn't hear or as pronounced in the Valkyria and Caldera.
Thanks this help A lot
1714843675589.gif

May 5, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,517 of 1,542
Sharing here ahead of making for sale posts. I'll be putting up the CA-1a and Expanse in the next week or so, and totally at a fair price and open to fair offers. Just let me know ahead of time if so.

Also going to put up the Sr1a, but I want to send it to Raal first just to double check that everything is good to go. From day 1, the clipping on heavier bass tracks has been a bit too much/unacceptable to me and I want to make sure they're operating as intended before putting them up for sale. :)

I also said I would never do it, but I'm very likely going to put the HE60 up for sale. Need to think a bit more about it, but I keep reading posts about how people are really interested in trying them (and they're amazing for their tier), and I'm mainly keeping them for sentimental value and as a keepsake to have with the HE90. I overpaid ridiculously for my pair, but vow to give someone at better deal to a degree. Plus I have backups of everything, headband, cable, pads lol, this shouldn't just sit lol

Will likely put up the 009 as well. With the Immanis and SGL Sr., they will never get use lol. But one of my all time favorites.

Long story short, I'm getting tired of just seeing some of these headphones sit and they probably deserve better homes. With the Immanis coming in, plus one last major hobby purchase looming (you'll just have to wait and see :)), plus getting ready to move, it's time to clear house!

May 6, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #1,519 of 1,542
It makes sense to sell He60... You're way above in technical performance, equipped with many totl hps.
Some Young fella might start his journey with amazing tonality and decent tech senns.
You're way above regular headier in terms of gear collection. But keep in mind there are only 3 Orpheus'

---

Thanks for the input here. Yea that's how I've started to think through it. It was my first TOTL stat and I remember the experience vividly. It's said seeing it sit. However, it looks incredible next to the HE90, I really like how both of these headphones were built (and the old sennheiser style altogether). Simple, elegant and comfortable.

Also, sell wise, both the 009 and HE60 won't net me much, so it's seemed silly not to keep them. But yea, would be great to have in the hands of people actually using them.

------

Separate from the above, how are people with higher end/vintage cans storing them? I'm using the stax covers but it's unsightly and now with more cans just unsustainable. Thinking about looking into a humidity controlled cabinet. I can't deal with using all of the storage boxes separately.

May 6, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,520 of 1,542
Separate from the above, how are people with higher end/vintage cans storing them? I'm using the stax covers but it's unsightly and now with more cans just unsustainable

Stax covers for all vintage and estat headphones..

May 8, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #1,521 of 1,542
Stax covers for all vintage and estat headphones..

There just so damn ugly lol. I'm so tired of them. But I do think they're really effective. Would be nice to have an easy access cabinet I could just use. I think someone here mentioned having a humidity controlled case they use, I need to look into it.

May 8, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #1,522 of 1,542
There just so damn ugly lol. I'm so tired of them. But I do think they're really effective. Would be nice to have an easy access cabinet I could just use. I think someone here mentioned having a humidity controlled case they use, I need to look into it.

yes thought often of getting one, but would require too much space so let that idea go..

May 8, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #1,523 of 1,542

Attachments

• 438069748_1561436494417757_5650254679140300170_n.jpg
    438069748_1561436494417757_5650254679140300170_n.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #1,524 of 1,542
like here ?

storage.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #1,525 of 1,542
Glass cabinet. Not sealed or humidity controlled but the room is air conditioned. I think it was like $150 from IKEA.

And if you wanted, you could put thin rubber strips around the door and throw some of these in:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lockdown...2?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101012519

That's a nice looking cabinet. And yea I've also thought about using moisture absorbers in a non-humidity controlled cabinet, just not sure if I'll get it airtight enough to be valuable. I also have a dehumidifier and air purifier in the room. I'm also mainly looking for something for better organization, so a simple cabinet solution also helps.

like here ?

storage.jpeg

Yup something just like this. Is this something you use personally or have just seen around?

May 9, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #1,526 of 1,542
I'm also mainly looking for something for better organization, so a simple cabinet solution also helps.
Yup, this is what it was for me. The room is already relatively low humidity so I just wanted a way to organize and display them since it's just as much a collection to me as they are listening devices.

May 9, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #1,527 of 1,542
That's a nice looking cabinet. And yea I've also thought about using moisture absorbers in a non-humidity controlled cabinet, just not sure if I'll get it airtight enough to be valuable. I also have a dehumidifier and air purifier in the room. I'm also mainly looking for something for better organization, so a simple cabinet solution also helps.

Yup something just like this. Is this something you use personally or have just seen around?
Not mine... I saw it once and it caught my attention.

May 9, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #1,528 of 1,542
Yup, this is what it was for me. The room is already relatively low humidity so I just wanted a way to organize and display them since it's just as much a collection to me as they are listening devices.

Yea I have a dehumidifier and purifier in my headphone room as well. And that's the other thing. The Stax protectors just kind of ruin the collector aspect of things lol. But again, very affective and reassuring.

Not mine... I saw it once and it caught my attention.

Gotcha, yea same here. Maybe I go this route for just a select few and then stick to what I've been doing for the others.

May 11, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #1,530 of 1,542
IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

I've had the Pacific for almost a week. This thing is massive.. and gear is ALWAYS double the size you imagined when simply looking at the specs lol. Amazing craftsmanship and feel. Doesn't fit well on my current rack, which I'm going to replace either soon or after I move. So future pics will be limited as it's not in an ideal photo worthy space. But you get the idea :). I originally wanted to pure gold classic Pacific chassis, but that's been discontinued and I'm pretty sure anything with the engine 11 upgrade going forward is likely to be in this colorway.. in the end I have appreciated it quite a lot as it looks less gaudy and more similar to the gear I own.

As for the sound, I've intentionally been really lip tight as I typically am with new gear. I had been listening to the SGL Sr. and HE90 w/the Dave mainly leading up to its arrival, and have been using them mainly with the Pacific for consistency. Right now, I've come to two pretty consistent conclusions:

1. Resolution/Detail/Spacing: overall in these categories, the Pacific is pretty noticeably ahead of the MDave, which for me, was a bit unexpected and surprising. I've always figured, "how much better can things get in that regard?". But it was apparent from the very first listen.. a) a bigger stage and enveloping sound while maintaining the same since of intimacy and closeness, b) I'm literally hearing detail I haven't heard in songs before, and consistently, and c) vocals and instruments sound more detailed, clear and textured than ever.
  2. Tone/Timbre: from a tonal balance perspective, the Pacific with the tubes I have is pretty lush in the midrange, detailed in the highs, while being more resolving and transparent (clearer perceived window into the music) than the mDave, which is a major accomplishment. It also doesn't sound overly warm or "tubey", which was my primary reason in going with the Pacific over the GG. I want to maintain the transparency and neutrality the mDave provides to a large degree. Regarding timbre and weight of the music, it's pretty similar to the Dave. With the current tubes, I don't sense a much weightier sound, but rather an improved tonal balance.
  3. Bass impact/subbass: performance here is virtually the same, and in some cases, I'm even sensing less of a visceral impact and sub-bass rumble than w/the mDave. This difference is pretty slight, but it was unexpected and given my previous desire to improve upon mDave in this aspect, it stood out as not as impressive as I would have hoped.
    1. I do think (and hope) this is largely based on the stock tubes supplied with it, new production KR 5u4g rectifier and PX4 power tubes. From what I've read the PX4s can be a bit slower and softer in attack and 242s and others should be better. I also now have a Tak 274b tube (minimal improvement) and I'm likely closing in on a used matched pair of 242s

I haven't gone back to the Dave just yet the past week or so, as I've been purposely getting to know the Pacific. I want to clarify the above. The Pacific provides a bigger sound, stage, and window into the music (and as a result clarity). I'm hearing very minute details as I mentioned above more clearly. But tone (color wise) the Pacific has a hint of warmth over the Dave, which is definitely welcome, but is less transparent color wise than the Dave is.

Again, I've talked over and over about how that would be a benefit for me over the Dave, as long as resolution is maintained, but before even getting back to any A/B comparisons I can say the Dave is more transparent in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back