Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
May 15, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #1,036 of 1,057
What is this about biasing? And is it relevant with this amp? See NOTHING about it in the manual

Not relevant. This amp auto biases like most modern tube amps.

May 15, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #1,037 of 1,057
But I do hear differences in ECC82 s when paired with one particular pair of power tubes. I find it interesting that my stock JJ ECC82 sounds better with my KT77s than the smooth plate Telefunken does. Is there such a thing as input output tube synergy between the two sections? Such that when changing output tubes you may find a different favorite ECC82?

May 15, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,038 of 1,057
I have Telefunken RFT el34’s which sound excellent. They were like 260 used on eBay. I have Sophia Electric which are smooth and musical. Also like KT77 by Genalex Gold Lion. New production out of Russia. Sound excellent also. I am finding thus far the el34’s affect tonality much more than the ecc82 tube roll does.

But I do hear differences in ECC82 s when paired with one particular pair of power tubes. I find it interesting that my stock JJ ECC82 sounds better with my KT77s than the smooth plate Telefunken does. Is there such a thing as input output tube synergy between the two sections? Such that when changing output tubes you may find a different favorite ECC82?
No. Telefunken ECC82 better with KT77s. Not stock JJ. Man! No quick a-b’s. Takes albums to figure this out! Takes time. This could drive someone insane. Yes, input tube can affect sound as much as output tubes. Double revision on what I said earlier.

May 15, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,039 of 1,057
I have Telefunken RFT el34’s which sound excellent. They were like 260 used on eBay. I have Sophia Electric which are smooth and musical. Also like KT77 by Genalex Gold Lion. New production out of Russia. Sound excellent also. I am finding thus far the el34’s affect tonality much more than the ecc82 tube roll does.
Oh, and I don’t like the new Russia production GL ECC82. Not nearly as good as my KT77s from them.

May 15, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,040 of 1,057
Just powered down amp switch not yet power supply and heard a loud pop in left channel of my HEKse. Was sure something was ruined. Tentatively powered it back up with volume all the way down and played fine once I slowly turned up the volume. What the heck happened?!

May 15, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #1,041 of 1,057
No thread for Auris 300B AE yet or any reviews and finding a lack of info generally, has anyone got any experience and can share impressions on it perhaps?

May 15, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #1,042 of 1,057
Just powered down amp switch not yet power supply and heard a loud pop in left channel of my HEKse. Was sure something was ruined. Tentatively powered it back up with volume all the way down and played fine once I slowly turned up the volume. What the heck happened?!

Never power an amp on/off with headphones connected, especially tube amps - the votlage swing can ruin a driver. Best practice is disconenct headphones and turn power off (similarly, turn on and then connect headphones)

May 15, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #1,043 of 1,057
Never power an amp on/off with headphones connected, especially tube amps - the votlage swing can ruin a driver. Best practice is disconenct headphones and turn power off (similarly, turn on and then connect headphones)
Thank you. I hope my HEKse ok. They SOUND ok. Guess it would be obvious if damaged.

May 15, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #1,044 of 1,057
So the Genalex new production Gold Lion KT77s are burning in nicely and sound superb with the Telefunken smooth plate ECC82. They are just as detailed and punchy as my Telefunken power tubes but are a touch brighter. In a totally tube like smooth, good way though. Best sound yet out of this amp. Thank God my HEKse are functioning perfectly after earlier scare😊.
So…would the Siemens 5814A triple mica sound better than my Telefunken smooth plate? I would love to know!

May 16, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #1,045 of 1,057
I know I’m posting a lot. I’m sorry. Am just wanting to be helpful and not only just asking questions.
Went back to said Peter Gabriel I/O album. Same Telefunken smooth plate 12au7. Rolled power tubes to the GL KT77’s. Mentioned last night I am on this combo now. Coming from Telefunken power tubes. Now with KTs the album requires less treble EQ. Less EQ is always better. I’d say the bass and mids sound just as good or better with KTs. Listening experience is up another half notch from superb performance other day. And KTs aren’t even burned in fully yet. Excellent combo! These power tubes are keepers. I know the Tele smooth is a great tube, having read more on it. I think I’m in a great place with this amp right now. 👍😊🎧🎶

May 16, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #1,046 of 1,057
Sadly, the second of the ecc82 Telefunken pair is dead. The left channel was staticy and I verified this to be from that tube. Is the equalizer too hot and overdriving the inputs and causing this?

May 17, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #1,047 of 1,057
The answer is no. I have discovered a not insignificant channel imbalance. Suspected all along. Really had to dig in to confirm. Perhaps is why two input tubes died. I’ve attached below what I just sent Moon Audio.

I have confirmed with different headphones and cables using several quality mono and left right test tracks that there is a significant channel imbalance, left weaker than right. It’s actually not subtle and it’s unacceptable at the price paid. I also made sure with these tracks that a ruled out tubes, as I swapped around all of them and confirmed the same problem. This problem likely is in the input section if it was the cause of the death of two matched Telefunken ECC82 tubes. So…the unit will need to be sent to you. BUT I LOVE IT AND WANT A REPLACEMENT. Another new Nirvana please, as I have a considerable tube investment in this amp and have learned what sounds best in it. Want the same amp.
Let me know next steps!

May 22, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #1,048 of 1,057
So while awaiting my replacement Nirvana I’ve consulted with an amp and EQ builder I know who is highly respected in the pro audio world. I’m actually having him build me an EQ. He said you absolutely CAN put an XLR balanced EQ ahead of the Nirvana AND use it in a boost situation and it won’t hurt amp or blow tubes. It seems I just got a defective amp and whatever was wrong in the amp that was causing weak left channel also caused that audible loud pop in the left channel and very likely also caused the death of my two matched Telefunken input tubes serially. Once I get another Nirvana going again I’ll report back, as I have 3 new NOS tubes waiting for it. Amperex 1959 Bugle Boy, RCA Clear Top, and another smooth plate Telefunken.

May 28, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,049 of 1,057
I was lucky to find a good conditioned Nirvana v2. After it was settled in my system,
I began rolling out both tubes, running a gold lion and PSVane EL34PHs (retro).
The amp is paired with Susvara and Utopia OG, very happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #1,050 of 1,057
I was lucky to find a good conditioned Nirvana v2. After it was settled in my system,
I began rolling out both tubes, running a gold lion and PSVane EL34PHs (retro).
The amp is paired with Susvara and Utopia OG, very happy with the results.
Please tell me, are the PSVane EL34-PHs similar sounding to the Gold Lions? I assume those are the KT77s? I have my replacement Nirvana coming Thursday (excited to get going again), and I intend to roll immediately. The KT77s are brighter than my Telefunken RFTs, but I wonder how the PSVanes compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back