RAAL-requisite: The Official VM-1a Discussion Thread
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #46 of 75
the answer to question 1 is yes, the filters were designed to eliminate the adapters which I love,the tubes do indeed run hot

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #47 of 75
This is at work? Wow, how do you get any work done? Hope you have some security cameras setup.

How is the temp in the lower racks? If you could get 2" more space by lowering those it might be enough, if no, then a whisper fan on the side of the amp away fro where you listen.
LOL! Yeah, I understand why you say that. Though, for me, for about 70% of my work, I find music to be either neutral or increase productivity. No security cameras, but I built my audio rack to lock my equipment in place (hence it looks like a cage) and I attached a metal tab to which I connected a padlock and security cable to the gear on the top shelf.

Thanks for the suggestions on the heat problem--I did exactly that and also swapped my preamp (which runs a lot cooler than the VM-1a) with the RAAL amp. I will probably still add some insulation to the bottom of the top shelf, but it appears to have done the trick!

PXL_20230726_173358626.PORTRAIT.jpg

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #48 of 75
LOL! Yeah, I understand why you say that. Though, for me, for about 70% of my work, I find music to be either neutral or increase productivity. No security cameras, but I built my audio rack to lock my equipment in place (hence it looks like a cage) and I attached a metal tab to which I connected a padlock and security cable to the gear on the top shelf.

Thanks for the suggestions on the heat problem--I did exactly that and also swapped my preamp (which runs a lot cooler than the VM-1a) with the RAAL amp. I will probably still add some insulation to the bottom of the top shelf, but it appears to have done the trick!

PXL_20230726_173358626.PORTRAIT.jpg
It is an amazing stack. Just the construction alone, never mind the equipment. Is it vulnerable to fire suppression?

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #49 of 75
It is an amazing stack. Just the construction alone, never mind the equipment. Is it vulnerable to fire suppression?
Thanks! By "vulnerable to fire suppression", do you mean whether it could be damaged by building sprinklers in the event of a fire? Thankfully, no, not where it's positioned.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #50 of 75
Thanks! By "vulnerable to fire suppression", do you mean whether it could be damaged by building sprinklers in the event of a fire? Thankfully, no, not where it's positioned.
Yes. I do have the trait of seeing things and running down a long list of "what if's". But of course you have it covered.

It's a tour de force, I'm not prone to envy, but, in this case... yeah...

Jul 27, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #51 of 75
Yes. I do have the trait of seeing things and running down a long list of "what if's". But of course you have it covered.

It's a tour de force, I'm not prone to envy, but, in this case... yeah...
Ha! I'm a lawyer by training so I know all about the "what ifs".

And it's making me blush knowing my system is envied. :beerchug::L3000:

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #52 of 75
Ha! I'm a lawyer by training so I know all about the "what ifs".

And it's making me blush knowing my system is envied. :beerchug::L3000:
I became addicted to ribbon tweeters 40 years ago. The SR1a was great to hear, but out of reach for me. The CA-1a however within reach, so there is hope, so is the BMR Philharmonic Monitor kit w/ Raal tweeters. But the Dave and Raal amps.... not in this life.

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #53 of 75
This amp is only able to power Raal headphones based on the plugs in the front?

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #54 of 75
This amp is only able to power Raal headphones based on the plugs in the front?
The VM-1a? Yes, that's correct. It's designed to only drive RAAL-requisite HPs.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #55 of 75
The VM-1a? Yes, that's correct. It's designed to only drive RAAL-requisite HPs.
Uggg love the CA-1a but having an amp for each headphone is becoming a pain. Guess I’ll have to make some decisions…

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #56 of 75
Uggg love the CA-1a but having an amp for each headphone is becoming a pain. Guess I’ll have to make some decisions…
You could reach out to the manufacturer, Solaja Audio, and see if they have any new amps planned that might be a good fit for you?

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #57 of 75
Oct 24, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #58 of 75
It is possible to connect other headphones via an adapter like the one supplied with the HSA-1b. There was a short discussion about this on the headphones.com forum (https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal-requisite-the-official-vm-1a-thread/17247/3). To be clear, this is not something Raal recommends and they point out that that was not what it was meant for and may result in a higher than acceptable noise floor and the required cable is not available by itself for purchase. I have tried it with a few headphones and thought it sounded lovely. Keep in mind that I do not consider myself the most experienced or discriminating listener and many things that are described by some as great differences are quite subtle to me.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #59 of 75
It is possible to connect other headphones via an adapter like the one supplied with the HSA-1b. There was a short discussion about this on the headphones.com forum (https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal-requisite-the-official-vm-1a-thread/17247/3). To be clear, this is not something Raal recommends and they point out that that was not what it was meant for and may result in a higher than acceptable noise floor and the required cable is not available by itself for purchase. I have tried it with a few headphones and thought it sounded lovely. Keep in mind that I do not consider myself the most experienced or discriminating listener and many things that are described by some as great differences are quite subtle to me.
Thanks! I'll take a look at this. The good news is I heard back from the makers of the VM1a and they said they are in the works of the VM2 which will be able to drive planar, dynamic, Raal, and speakers with around 30W of power. I'm sure it will be a pretty penny but that may be a future solution. For now I'm plugging the converter box to my tube or SS amps. Jot R is ok but it is lacking to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back