Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #9,646 of 9,686
Yes it sounds nice byt i am surprised the sloppy build from the sony kimber versus the axios. As rhe weavings interloks on the sony KK are looser and in the axios are more tightly weaven, smaller interlocks and plus the axios has no y-splitter piece, the cable itself bifurcates from alone very cool

Sorry to resurrect a very old post. Obviously I was searching for a specific topic. :) My question is, what happens with the Axios no-splitter cable medium or long term? Is there a risk that the cable starts pulling apart into two cables further and further down? How has yours aged?

Just received mine today.

May 18, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #9,649 of 9,686
Sorry to resurrect a very old post. Obviously I was searching for a specific topic. :) My question is, what happens with the Axios no-splitter cable medium or long term? Is there a risk that the cable starts pulling apart into two cables further and further down? How has yours aged?

Just received mine today.
Hey mr. fantastic, looks like you're asking about the axios cable, which I have. I used to have the copper axios, but I liked it so much I upgraded to the silver Axios. The quality of the cable is incredible and the no splitter design is very strong and cannot be split unless one is extremely forcefully pulling the ends apart. The cable has been treated very well and still looks great and flawless, even tho I have accidentally tugged the cable when it was hooked in my desk drawer handle before.

May 18, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #9,650 of 9,686
Hey mr. fantastic, looks like you're asking about the axios cable, which I have. I used to have the copper axios, but I liked it so much I upgraded to the silver Axios. The quality of the cable is incredible and the no splitter design is very strong and cannot be split unless one is extremely forcefully pulling the ends apart. The cable has been treated very well and still looks great and flawless, even tho I have accidentally tugged the cable when it was hooked in my desk drawer handle before.

Thanks for the response! Great to hear they hold up great. In fact, I see now that it might even be impossible to split them further, as the cables intertwine when they join up. I guess this is a great solution: no weight from a splitter and perfect durability.

How has the change between the copper and silver versions been? Wouldn't silver in theory lead to a small accentuation of the treble?

May 18, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #9,651 of 9,686
Thanks for the response! Great to hear they hold up great. In fact, I see now that it might even be impossible to split them further, as the cables intertwine when they join up. I guess this is a great solution: no weight from a splitter and perfect durability.

How has the change between the copper and silver versions been? Wouldn't silver in theory lead to a small accentuation of the treble?
A properly built cable with OCC silver (which the AXIOS doesn't use) actually smooths out the highs, widens the soundstage and extends the low end.

May 18, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #9,652 of 9,686

The Cu Axios was fantastic, thanks mostly due to its incredible build quality and complex braid geometry. Looking back on it now, I really think material is the most fundamental element, the Silver is a perfect conductor and it makes the copper sound very lower fidelity in comparison, because yes, the treble seems to be accentuated and the silver seems to magically make resolution endlessly good, maximizing enjoyment level. I agree that it is a great concept with awesome durability. I can't go without mentioning how amazingly clear all frequencies are with the Axios AG, there's no loss in bass as there is no loss in anything.

May 25, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #9,653 of 9,686
As my son has now decided that he want to keep and buy my Z1R I have the Slappa transport case, the Lavri Grand 4.4mm balanced cable and the ddHiFi 4.4 to 4-pin xlr spare and want to sell it if anybody is interested. It has cost me over $800 including vat and shipping and I would like to get at least $450 incl. uninsured shipping to most anywhere in the world.

Actually am tempted, but not now, just bought a Focal Clear 😅

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #9,654 of 9,686

MDR Z1R is a great headphones in a market where making a closed back that universally fit everyone sonically is very hard. Everyone have their own Fav closed back tuning, some say the E3 is it, others the Verite Closed, but the Z1R definitely corner the more fun tuned sector very well.
Like Zeos said, everyone is in the race, revving their engine hard, seriously trying to win, while Z1R is out on the field, selling ice creams. 😁

May 25, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #9,655 of 9,686
May 25, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #9,656 of 9,686
As some people might know, the Moondrop CEO is a Sony Fanboy (owning the MDR-Z1R as well as the WM1ZM2 and the DMP-Z1. He even gave the DMP-Z1 to one of his employee for an commercial for their new phone ) and so the Moondrop Void was intentially tuned to sound close to the MDR-Z1R.

Was anyone able to compare them side by side? I do not assume they sound close at all, but it would be interesting to know what they actually do have in common.

May 25, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #9,657 of 9,686
As some people might know, the Moondrop CEO is a Sony Fanboy (owning the MDR-Z1R as well as the WM1ZM2 and the DMP-Z1. He even gave the DMP-Z1 to one of his employee for an commercial for their new phone ) and so the Moondrop Void was intentially tuned to sound close to the MDR-Z1R.

Was anyone able to compare them side by side? I do not assume they sound close at all, but it would be interesting to know what they actually do have in common.

MDR MV1 is already an open back that's tuned very close to the Z1R, it is about 20% more expensive than void tho.
Nice to see new option on the "smartphone as DAP" market. It's just price fall way too fast for any smartphone.
I wonder if their niche and low quantity of production will help them keep their used price high.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #9,658 of 9,686
MDR MV1 is already an open back that's tuned very close to the Z1R, it is about 20% more expensive than void tho.
Nice to see new option on the "smartphone as DAP" market. It's just price fall way too fast for any smartphone.
I wonder if their niche and low quantity of production will help them keep their used price high.
Its also built much better. The Void is an plastic bomber. But if nobody tested it yet, i might have to take on that duty myself^^

May 25, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #9,659 of 9,686
Its also built much better. The Void is an plastic bomber. But if nobody tested it yet, i might have to take on that duty myself^^
MV1 is 30 grams lighter while sporting aluminum grille. IMO if it's drop test the lighter ones usually survive better. If you talk durability of being sit on tho...
MV1 only feels cheap because of its lightness but that weight is intentional, it's one of the comfiest headphone you can have. MDR 1A lvl comfiness but with Alcantara-esque earpads that make it more breathable.

May 25, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #9,660 of 9,686
MV1 is 30 grams lighter while sporting aluminum grille. IMO if it's drop test the lighter ones usually survive better. If you talk durability of being sit on tho...
MV1 only feels cheap because of its lightness but that weight is intentional, it's one of the comfiest headphone you can have. MDR 1A lvl comfiness but with Alcantara-esque earpads that make it more breathable.
I didn't had the impression the MV1 feels cheap, only the Moondrop Void. I hope there is no misunderstanding here^^ i think the MV1 is built pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back