Focal Hadenys & Azurys Review & Measurements
May 14, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #121 of 189
It's really nice to see two new mid-fi closed-backs being released (Azurys and the upcoming Sennheiser HD620S).

Ordering the 620S is a given for me. Not sure about the Azurys, but it will depend on whether it can be run balanced, which I thought was a definite "no", now I'm hearing the jury isn't out yet? I hope some reviewers will shed some light on this.
id bet the Azurys will outperform the 620s considerably. Focal are just so much better at closed backs than Sennheiser 😏

May 14, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #122 of 189
I've never tried a Sennheiser closed-back and just accepted open-back is all they're good at. This is the first time I've been motivated to buy a closed-back from them. And Focal is the best for isolation. Wearing the Celestee was almost like having active noise canceling.

So I'm very curious to see if Sennheiser can step up their closed-back game and if Focal can replicate their usual closed-back experience in the lighter-weight "cheaper" form factor.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #123 of 189
id bet the Azurys will outperform the 620s considerably. Focal are just so much better at closed backs than Sennheiser 😏
I was looking at the HD 620S but Sennheiser’s track record of closed-backs and past experience with them haven’t been good, there have been decent ones but Senn seem to miss the mark more than anything. It’s not really a FR response thing, they’re often just lacking and don’t sound right. Maybe the HD 620S will be the one that will finally breaks the trend of subpar closed-backs and I do hope to hear it if reception ends up positive after the initial hype. But wonder if it will reach its asking price range in terms of sound quality or end up being a bit overpriced for what it is.

I have heard many good things about Focal Closed-backs. So been very eager to try one for a while. I mostly been enjoying Beyer closed-backs, and tried a few Audio-Technica’s, Sony’s, and Fostex’s I liked. Haven’t heard many planar closed-backs.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #124 of 189
I have to take a listen at the dealer someday. Hope It is not too much for me.

Don't worry.... the little blue dwarf doesn't have that pronounced woom woom sound like the Stellia 😎

NOMAX

Ps.nevertheless still a little too much for my ears...that's why I give the Hadenys my recommendation (less as Azury)

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #125 of 189
Don't worry.... the little blue dwarf doesn't have that pronounced woom woom sound like the Stellia 😎

NOMAX

Ps.nevertheless still a little too much for my ears...that's why I give the Hadenys my recommendation (less as Azury)
I personally like a prominent bass, so the Azurys may be more to my tastes, but can't always tell unless I listen to both.

May 14, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #126 of 189

NOMAX

How does the bass on Azurys compare to Radiance? If it is about equal, then it will be fine to me.
I understand Hadenys is better than Azurys. But at home, I have LCD5, Utopia already. I assume I would never use Hadenys at home. But certainly will use Azurys while travelling. Not a fan of Bathys.

May 14, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #127 of 189
How does the bass on Azurys compare to Radiance? If it is about equal, then it will be fine to me.
I understand Hadenys is better than Azurys. But at home, I have LCD5, Utopia already. I assume I would never use Hadenys at home. But certainly will use Azurys while travelling. Not a fan of Bathys.
If Azurys is a Radiance in a smaller package I'll buy in a heartbeat. That headphone is great, and having it in a light form factor would be pretty awesome.
I was looking at the HD 620S but Sennheiser’s track record of closed-backs and past experience with them haven’t been good, there have been decent ones but Senn seem to miss the mark more than anything.
If you're after prominent bass and closed back Sennheiser are your kryptonite lol

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #129 of 189
C'mon, Elegia is better than Celestee & Radiance everyday ... except if you like exagerated bass.

Do you like Bathys ?
I'd rather use my BT Sennheiser PXC 550-II than the Elegia without EQ, and not at all for the bass. Elegia was probably the worst headphone I ever bought (for my HRTF and taste, of course. Maybe for you it's perfect!).

Coming back to the Hadenys, it will probably be my first day1 buy in the headphones world. I'm looking for a good sounding lightweight can to use every day at my desk.

May 17, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #133 of 189
Tried both in a local shop - Hadenys for me! There's just something in the treable that made me smile!
I think many people will smile when they listen Hadenys for only 700 euros 👍☺️

NOMAX

PS.Just imagine how much Hadenys would cost if only a few hundred of them were sold instead of few thousands😉

May 18, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #135 of 189
Pre-Ordered this beauty...

20240518_154056.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back