Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 18, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #5,221 of 5,313
Hello guys, new happy HE1000se owner here 🙂. Although tried to search this huge thread, I got mixed results with headphone cable recommendations. Can you please suggest a headphone cable (in any price range) you are happy with that complements the HE1000se's FR (maybe mainly used with an class A solid state amp)? And b) was there any kind of test or confirmation of speculations that HIFIMAN altered the FR of later produced HEKSE batch - I noticed they "upgraded" their generic "naked" cables with cloth-braided ones at some point in the past (which I just purchased). Thank you.
The stock black braid are very good, aesthetics aside. The are a copper/silver. If you want brighter get an all silver, or darker go all copper. Most importantly break them in before changing things around.

May 18, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #5,222 of 5,313
Hello guys, new happy HE1000se owner here 🙂. Although tried to search this huge thread, I got mixed results with headphone cable recommendations. Can you please suggest a headphone cable (in any price range) you are happy with that complements the HE1000se's FR (maybe mainly used with an class A solid state amp)? And b) was there any kind of test or confirmation of speculations that HIFIMAN altered the FR of later produced HEKSE batch - I noticed they "upgraded" their generic "naked" cables with cloth-braided ones at some point in the past (which I just purchased). Thank you.
Currently using the Meze silver plated upgrade cable. It provides slightly more clarity than stock cable and is much easier to manage as it is very flexible.
Relatively affordable too at 129usd.

https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-silver-plated-upgrade-cables?variant=31315944669241

May 18, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #5,223 of 5,313
The stock black braid are very good, aesthetics aside. The are a copper/silver. If you want brighter get an all silver, or darker go all copper. Most importantly break them in before changing things around.
In my own experience, the silver being brighter is somewhat true to a certain gauge (cable thickness). Once you go above a certain gauge thickness, the pure silver cable actually provides the benefits of both silver (clarity, airiness) and copper (body).

May 18, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #5,224 of 5,313
Hello guys, new happy HE1000se owner here 🙂. Although tried to search this huge thread, I got mixed results with headphone cable recommendations. Can you please suggest a headphone cable (in any price range) you are happy with that complements the HE1000se's FR (maybe mainly used with a class A solid state amp)? And b) was there any kind of test or confirmation of speculations that HIFIMAN altered the FR of later produced HEKSE batch - I noticed they "upgraded" their generic "naked" cables with cloth-braided ones at some point in the past (which I just purchased). Thank you.
You have to have a budget. There is no point in getting cables that cost more than your headphone unless you got the Susvara.

I shopped around cables a bit so here is my input: your cables should be at least 2 meters long in case you move about and end up snapping the connectors. Your cables should emphasize the qualities of the HEK or at least balance its signature and also cover up weakness of your DAC/Amp. That means you are going for either Silver based cables (increases resolution) or hybrid silver copper (reduced sibilance and harsh highs). Not all cables are the same. Just because it’s silver or whatever doesn’t mean it has quality sound. You get what you pay for.

If you want low budget but good sound, then audiophileninja cables.
If you want eye candy looks with higher end resolution and mid budget. Norne Audio Cables.
If you want to go crazy and you have a million USD, you can go for the Danacables Lazuli Voila.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #5,226 of 5,313
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. Even though it will be an overkill for most I will be saving for the Danacable as I like the idea of getting the most out of your gear with the best cables an cleanest power sources you can afford (to a some degree of course) and only after that upgrading your gear (amp, dac, etc.).

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #5,228 of 5,313
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. Even though it will be an overkill for most I will be saving for the Danacable as I like the idea of getting the most out of your gear with the best cables an cleanest power sources you can afford (to a some degree of course) and only after that upgrading your gear (amp, dac, etc.).
Then look at the Nirvana. I have those also. They are great. But the Lazuli Viola was made for the Susvaras. Not saying if want sound good. So that’s why a suggested the Rhapsody.

May 19, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #5,229 of 5,313
Then look at the Nirvana. I have those also. They are great. But the Lazuli Viola was made for the Susvaras. Not saying if want sound good. So that’s why a suggested the Rhapsody.
Even what I just stated about cables and clean power I'm not sure if I am mentaly prepared for either Nirvana or Voila... 🤯🤣

May 19, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #5,230 of 5,313
Even what I just stated about cables and clean power I'm not sure if I am mentaly prepared for either Nirvana or Voila... 🤯🤣
This would age really well I believe..)

May 20, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #5,231 of 5,313
Was there any kind of test or confirmation of speculations that HIFIMAN altered the FR of later produced HEKSE batch? I noticed they "upgraded" their generic "naked" cables with cloth-braided ones at some point in the past (which I just purchased) and I am curious if maybe the later batches were also tweaked for less brightness.

May 20, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #5,232 of 5,313
Good day fellas.
I have never heard HE1000SE.
Looking for a possible comparison to HE-6, which I have.
Trying to sell my HD800 and replacing it with HE1000SE.
If anyone has heard both HE-6 and HE1000SE I would highly appreciate for a sound comparison.

Thank you in advance!
I used to own the HE-1000SE (HEK) and still own the HE-6SE (HE6). While I had them both, here are my findings in no particular order;

• HEK was more versatile and easier to drive
  • HEK was slightly more comfortable because of the shape
  • HE6 slammed harder when driven properly
  • HE6 was more intimate vs HEK staging wise (even with the grill mod)
  • HE6 and HEK both sound great out of the box but HE6 could be tweaked to slightly improve it while HEK didn't need to
  • HEK is taller and wider but HE6 goes deeper

Note: My chain at the time was as follows:
DAC: Holo Audio May
Amp: Studio Six, La Figaro 339, Pathos InPol Ear, ECP DHSA 3F

May 20, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #5,233 of 5,313
I used to own the HE-1000SE (HEK) and still own the HE-6SE (HE6). While I had them both, here are my findings in no particular order;

• HEK was more versatile and easier to drive
  • HEK was slightly more comfortable because of the shape
  • HE6 slammed harder when driven properly
  • HE6 was more intimate vs HEK staging wise (even with the grill mod)
  • HE6 and HEK both sound great out of the box but HE6 could be tweaked to slightly improve it while HEK didn't need to
  • HEK is taller and wider but HE6 goes deeper

Note: My chain at the time was as follows:
DAC: Holo Audio May
Amp: Studio Six, La Figaro 339, Pathos InPol Ear, ECP DHSA 3F
Thanks, man!
Although newer SE-version is quite a bit inferior to HE-6 but there are similarities and I can now better picture what to expect.
One thing Im thinking is there more clarity and detail...
I saw someone having having some problems with refurbished 1000SE but those were not from Hifiman store, and Ive heard lots of positives about their customer support in problem cases so I guess its easy just to return if your item happens to be in terrible shape.

May 23, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #5,234 of 5,313
I had the HE1000se for almost two years and sold it for an Abyss PHI TC. I regret selling it a little because I liked the extremely open and large soundstage. Since the price of the SE has dropped significantly, I'm thinking about buying it again, is that a sensible idea or what alternatives are there currently, since the HE1000se is already a few years old.

May 23, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #5,235 of 5,313
I had the HE1000se for almost two years and sold it for an Abyss PHI TC. I regret selling it a little because I liked the extremely open and large soundstage. Since the price of the SE has dropped significantly, I'm thinking about buying it again, is that a sensible idea or what alternatives are there currently, since the HE1000se is already a few years old.
I think it's a very sensible idea.

I did the opposite... I sold the TC and soon after bought a 1000se (back when the price was still $3500). I never regretted it. For $2k new today, it's a very compelling headphone, one of the best at that price surely even amongst current headphones, if you like the 1000se sound. I still think about getting one again. You really can't beat that price for what you get IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back