HiFiMan Susvara
May 18, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #25,742 of 25,993
Given your initial introduction prior to Susvara am I understanding you tome that the EF 1000 is perfect for Susvara n helping to dull some of the sharpness??? Sorry is I mam misunderstanding
The Susvara has no sharpness. It’s very resolving. The issue is likely your DAC or amp. I recalled having a similar problem until I upgraded my DAC and amp.

May 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #25,743 of 25,993
Given your initial introduction prior to Susvara am I understanding you tome that the EF 1000 is perfect for Susvara n helping to dull some of the sharpness??? Sorry is I mam misunderstanding
Everyone's ears are different and we all have different preferences, but I tend to echo psy472 that Susvara itself has no inherent sharpness - and I would add brightness, sibilance, & stridency. Susvara perfectly resolves whatever you feed it, so if you don't like what you're hearing there's a good chance you should either abandon Susvara and move on to something else, or join us way down the rabbit hole in finding the perfect chain to feed it so that it achieves sonic nirvana. YMMV. :wink:

May 18, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #25,744 of 25,993
The only thing you MUST consider is that susvaras are very inefficient, 83db at 60 ohms. Hence you need a lot of power and i think that manley marvel has not enough power to drive the susvaras. I m going feliks envy after summer. I think is priced more or less like the manley and is powerful enough.
I see a lot of good reviews on feliks envy! What DAC do you want to use with it?

May 18, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #25,746 of 25,993
or join us way down the rabbit hole in finding the perfect chain to feed it so that it achieves sonic nirvana.
Love this line. Become "one of us..one of us." :)

May 18, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #25,747 of 25,993
Friends, perhaps a stupid question, but maybe someone listened and compared: a susvara with a good amplifier, such as feliks envy or similar, will sound much worse than the sennheiser orpheus?
Totally subjective. The popular answer would be "of course not". But many of us feel that our carefully curated audio chain + Susvara matches or exceeds HE-1.

May 18, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #25,748 of 25,993
Friends, perhaps a stupid question, but maybe someone listened and compared: a susvara with a good amplifier, such as feliks envy or similar, will sound much worse than the sennheiser orpheus?
Chain synergy is key here. For the Orpheus to be the better than the Susvara with a good chain, you’d have to spend close to 6 figures.

May 18, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #25,749 of 25,993
Chain synergy is key here. For the Orpheus to be the better than the Susvara with a good chain, you’d have to spend close to 6 figures.
Also, it is not unfair to say that at least half the value of HE-1 is in the materials & presentation alone. HE-1 and its marble chassis and mechanized tube compliment are designed to evoke a feeling that you are experiencing something beyond anything else. But is the listening experience itself really beyond anything else? It's hard - nay, impossible - to remove the psychological factor. And Sennheiser has perfected that psychological factor.

I've heard HE-1, and I am personally not convinced that it outperforms my chain with Susvara. I'm not sure it doesn't, but I am also not convinced that it DOES.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #25,750 of 25,993
I see a lot of good reviews on feliks envy! What DAC do you want to use with it?
Im not an expert but i would say in the cheap side could be a gustard r26 and in the expensive but reasonable side maybe a holo may. The schiit ygdrasil is another interesting dac for its price. If you are interested in performing close to the HE1, look at trafomatic primavera amp. Its a beast, and makes susvara scale like no other.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #25,751 of 25,993
Susvara is a wonderful example of why “spend half your budget on the headphones” is an ideology that doesn’t work that well a lot of the time.

Budget headphones and IEMs are so far and away better than they were 10 years ago that they can resolve improvements in amplification and DAC that were unheard of in 2014. You can easily use a $200 IEM with a $1000 DAC/amp and get wonderful results. But if you reverse it, you don’t get a lot of love from a $1000 headphone if the DAC/amp is in the $200 range.

Something as resolving and honest as the Susvara can only be heard at its best with electronics and ancillaries that live in the same quality universe, and, inevitably, that means price comparable. My experience is that all TOTL headphones behave this way. “It can be driven by a phone” doesn’t ever mean it should be. Utopia is a great example there. It’ll run off a Mojo2, but you leave a bunch of its ability unused.

Yes, the transducer makes the biggest difference in presentation. No argument there. However, that isn’t itself an argument to not feed it with comparable electronics snd ancillaries.

This is a big call, and I apologise if it sounds harsh, but anyone who is hearing Susvara as anything negative (faults in presentation as opposed to preferences) isn't hearing it at its best and that usually seems to mean electronics that aren’t up to the job.

May 18, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #25,752 of 25,993
Sometimes i think we are exaggerating a little bit. Susvara sounds great whatever the source is. Even when i watch tv with a bluetooth connection, i get goose bumps sometimes. Just give it the power susvara needs and the fun is guaranteed. Then the quality of the sound will depend of the chain, but its the same for every hp.

May 18, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #25,753 of 25,993
Sometimes i think we are exaggerating a little bit. Susvara sounds great whatever the source is. Even when i watch tv with a bluetooth connection, i get goose bumps sometimes. Just give it the power susvara needs and the fun is guaranteed. Then the quality of the sound will depend of the chain, but its the same for every hp.

Even 128kbps MP3 from my Kazaa/Limewire days still sounds ridiculously good with Susvara

1716088231649.png

May 19, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #25,755 of 25,993
Thank you for all! 🙏🙏
Regarding the DAC, maybe someone tested the Cen Grand? DSDAC 1.0 deluxe
A popular DAC, for sure. The thing is, if you’re not really certain what kind of sound you’re after, most of the high quality DACs can be wonderful. Maybe it’s only when you develop a particular preference that different brands and models become more important to check out? I’ve settled on HMS/TT2, but I’m sure I could be happy with Holo, Weiss, Rockna…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back