Introducing HIFIMAN Ananda Nano
May 5, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #751 of 817
Nice. Seems perfect as far as being a clean/powerful headphone amp. Only problem is i'd be paying for features i don't need, like the preamp and the speaker outs.

Does the A30 have a DAC in it?
No DAC. You plug your monitor out to its input and go out of the Headphone amp to your monitors. Whenever you shut the headphone amp off, the signal go out to your monitors and vice versa.

May 5, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #752 of 817
No DAC. You plug your monitor out to its input and go out of the Headphone amp to your monitors. Whenever you shut the headphone amp off, the signal go out to your monitors and vice versa.
Oh interesting.
So, just so i understand... the speaker cables go from the output of my Antelope interface into the input of the A30, then another set of speaker cables go from the output of the A30 into the speakers?
And whether you have the A30 turned on or off determines whether speakers or headphones are playing?

May 5, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #753 of 817
Oh interesting.
So, just so i understand... the speaker cables go from the output of my Antelope interface into the input of the A30, then another set of speaker cables go from the output of the A30 into the speakers?
And whether you have the A30 turned on or off determines whether speakers or headphones are playing?
Precisely, yes.

May 5, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #754 of 817
So the more I use the Nanos both stock and with different eq settings, I am realizing maybe they aren't for me. No matter what eq settings I use they still sound a bit unnatural and metallic to me. I've passed my return window so I am debating selling them and my Focal Clear OG and just getting the Ayra Stealth or Organic as my singular pair of headphones. I wish I had a way to try out headphones before buying them but I have no stores within two hours of me.

May 6, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #755 of 817
Precisely, yes.
Interesting. Is there any disadvantages to this method? (like maybe having too much in the chain affecting signal purity?)

The problem i see with it is that then my headphones would be connected to the same source as my monitors (my interface), and ideally i'd like to set-and-forget a systemwide EQ for my headphones without it affecting my monitors. I fear that i'll forget to turn the EQ off for my speakers. :sweat_smile: Maybe a silly reason, but i do have ADHD so it's something to consider, haha.

May 6, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #756 of 817
Interesting. Is there any disadvantages to this method? (like maybe having too much in the chain affecting signal purity?)

The problem i see with it is that then my headphones would be connected to the same source as my monitors (my interface), and ideally i'd like to set-and-forget a systemwide EQ for my headphones without it affecting my monitors. I fear that i'll forget to turn the EQ off for my speakers. :sweat_smile: Maybe a silly reason, but i do have ADHD so it's something to consider, haha.
I don't think it's worst then any crossover or DSP (think Trinnov for example) you could think of putting in between your DAC monitor output and your monitor input. Personally, I wouldn't be worried. Its a True bypass when you look at the circuit.

Now for a 300$ Headphone amp with onboard DSP and true bypass, I can't think of anything worth mentioning. I mean, you're on a Antelope system so I wouldn't even bother checking out all those wacky portable and consumer product available.

I think if you were just a kid at Uni trying to plug his cans to his iPhone, we would be having a totally different conversation.

As I said earlier, I think a good move is saving a bit more and getting one of those RME ADI-2 Pro. But again, don't expect the 6 W per channel at 32 ohm of a dedicated Topping A30 Pro headphone amp. Not to point out the obvious but you'll be miles away from a Topping A70 Pro 17 W per channel amp and your primary goal here was to get something that would deliver power to your Nano's.

I think you're gonna have to make some hard internal decisions whether you go for a more expansive amp or change your AD/DA C all together.....Or simply have to live with your ADHD and it's consequences and get what you can afford for now and use your PC EQ.

May 6, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #757 of 817
So the more I use the Nanos both stock and with different eq settings, I am realizing maybe they aren't for me. No matter what eq settings I use they still sound a bit unnatural and metallic to me. I've passed my return window so I am debating selling them and my Focal Clear OG and just getting the Ayra Stealth or Organic as my singular pair of headphones. I wish I had a way to try out headphones before buying them but I have no stores within two hours of me.
That unnatural , metalic sound you are describing is specific to a lot of planars, electromagnetic and ribbon cans. That was also my impression the first time I got them. It took me about a week to get ''used'' to it. It's just a lot faster and sharper then dynamic paper cones and you can hear a lot of details in the upper range which really underline bad conversions be it the sound format or the DAC itself. I fear you'll find the same sound signature in the Organic. I know it might sound counter intuitive given the name but they are not THAT tamed in the treble region and they are sill planars.

If you like a more relaxed and laid back presentation, I believe a set of Sennies 660 HD v2 might be just what you need. Or some Neumann NDH 30 for that matter.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #758 of 817
I am debating selling them and my Focal Clear OG and just getting the Ayra Stealth or Organic
Haven't heard the Organic, but I had the Arya Stealth and the Nano at the same time to compare, and the Arya was the better one for me. The Ananda is good, but it's too dry and harsh sometimes. I kept the Arya. It's as resolving, but smoother and easier to listen to. And better in technicalities too as it should be being a tier higher headphone.

And btw, out of the two - Arya Organic and Stealth, the Stealth would be the more organic one in timbre, ironically :) According to reviews and comparisons on the net.

May 6, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #759 of 817
Haven't heard the Organic, but I had the Arya Stealth and the Nano at the same time to compare, and the Arya was the better one for me. The Ananda is good, but it's too dry and harsh sometimes. I kept the Arya. It's as resolving, but smoother and easier to listen to. And better in technicalities too as it should be being a tier higher headphone.

And btw, out of the two - Arya Organic and Stealth, the Stealth would be the more organic one in timbre, ironically :) According to reviews and comparisons on the net.
Yea, The Nanos are super technical but just too dry for me. Do you still own the Ayra Stealth?

May 6, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #760 of 817
That unnatural , metalic sound you are describing is specific to a lot of planars, electromagnetic and ribbon cans. That was also my impression the first time I got them. It took me about a week to get ''used'' to it. It's just a lot faster and sharper then dynamic paper cones and you can hear a lot of details in the upper range which really underline bad conversions be it the sound format or the DAC itself. I fear you'll find the same sound signature in the Organic. I know it might sound counter intuitive given the name but they are not THAT tamed in the treble region and they are sill planars.

If you like a more relaxed and laid back presentation, I believe a set of Sennies 660 HD v2 might be just what you need. Or some Neumann NDH 30 for that matter.
I've owned the Nanos for over a month and honestly I think I prefered the edition xs in terms of sound. It was less detailed but more natural sounding. I just hated the comfort. I returned the hd660s2 and bought the nano. Thought my clears were better in everyway over the hd660s2 and made them redudent to me. Maybe Audeze lcd x is what I'm looking for.

May 7, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #761 of 817
Do you still own the Ayra Stealth?
I do. I bought them in March.

I think I prefered the edition xs in terms of sound.
I used to have the Edition XS as well. The Nanos are generally better, but I caught myself switching to Edition XS from the Nanos sometimes when my ears had enough of their razor sharp sound.

The Arya Stealth is a big upgrade from the XS though.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #762 of 817
Hi guys, i am using Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Pads on my Ananda Stealth and Ananda Nano pairs with no EQ.
My setup is Tidal (iPhone and laptop) -> DAC SMSL DL200 -> AMP TOPPING A30 Pro.

1.Before Topping i was using a Schiit Magni Heresy as an amp, and i have to tell you, THERE ARE audible differences, Schiit being very dry and analytical, especially in high frequencies, so not a good pair for Hifimans.
I am not talking about key specs of those two amps, but clearly i can hear differences between the two.
2.I find the Dekoni pads not better than stocks in the comfort department, but more important, in sound quality, in my opinion making Anandas less metallic and more natural in timbre. At least this is my impression.
But it is a bit difficult to A-B the stock pads and Dekonis because the clips on Dekonis are tight and might broke if you mount and remount multiple times.

Regards,
Razvan

May 7, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #763 of 817
I don't think it's worst then any crossover or DSP (think Trinnov for example) you could think of putting in between your DAC monitor output and your monitor input. Personally, I wouldn't be worried. Its a True bypass when you look at the circuit.

Now for a 300$ Headphone amp with onboard DSP and true bypass, I can't think of anything worth mentioning. I mean, you're on a Antelope system so I wouldn't even bother checking out all those wacky portable and consumer product available.

I think if you were just a kid at Uni trying to plug his cans to his iPhone, we would be having a totally different conversation.

As I said earlier, I think a good move is saving a bit more and getting one of those RME ADI-2 Pro. But again, don't expect the 6 W per channel at 32 ohm of a dedicated Topping A30 Pro headphone amp. Not to point out the obvious but you'll be miles away from a Topping A70 Pro 17 W per channel amp and your primary goal here was to get something that would deliver power to your Nano's.

I think you're gonna have to make some hard internal decisions whether you go for a more expansive amp or change your AD/DA C all together.....Or simply have to live with your ADHD and it's consequences and get what you can afford for now and use your PC EQ.
I found a good deal on the 2nd-hand market for a Topping L70 and a Topping DX5. What do you think of them?

RME ADI-2 is well out of my reach, and i'm content enough with my Antelope interface as far as DA conversion to my speakers, so the RME wouldn't be the most optimal use of money right now.
Speaking of which, do you know if the DA conversion to the speakers generally uses the same DAC as the headphone output? Or are they usually different? If they are the same DAC, then i might as well just get an amp, because the DAC for my speakers is quite good. If that's what's getting used for the headphones too then that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #764 of 817
I found a good deal on the 2nd-hand market for a Topping L70 and a Topping DX5. What do you think of them?

RME ADI-2 is well out of my reach, and i'm content enough with my Antelope interface as far as DA conversion to my speakers, so the RME wouldn't be the most optimal use of money right now.
Speaking of which, do you know if the DA conversion to the speakers generally uses the same DAC as the headphone output? Or are they usually different? If they are the same DAC, then i might as well just get an amp, because the DAC for my speakers is quite good. If that's what's getting used for the headphones too then that's good enough for me.
I'm not sure I understand your question.

As far as I know, there's no AD/DA conversion happening in the L70. It's an amp.

I'd only get the amp if I was you.

May 7, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #765 of 817
I'm not sure I understand your question.

As far as I know, there's no AD/DA conversion happening in the L70. It's an amp.

I'd only get the amp if I was you.
Sorry, i'm tired, i forgot to specify what i was talking about. Let me rephrase...

Speaking of which, do you know if the DA conversion to the speakers of the monitor/XLR output within a typical interface (i.e. my Antelope) generally uses the same DAC as the headphone output? Or are they usually different the monitor output and HP outputs using their own separate DACs?

If they are the same DAC, then i might as well just get a headphone amp (instead of a DAC-amp), because the DAC for my speakers interface's monitor output seems quite good, and if that's what's getting used for the headphones what the headphone output is using too then that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back