Let's Talk Preamps!
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
I checked for a thread on this but didn't see one. If so, please let me know where. I wanted to cover a few basic topics and get member's feedback.

1. Do you use a preamp in your system chain? If not, why?

2. If so, did you see a noticeable improvement? Also, what preamp do you use?

3. Preamps for headphone amplifiers = overkill?

4. What are some of the best preamps offered?

5. What has been your experience overall? Positive, negative, or indefferent/no difference.

6. I have no idea, what's a preamp? :joy:

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 2
I do use a pre-amp, but I don't know that it's strictly speaking necessary for everybody to do so, especially not with the prevalence of DAC/HPA combo units that have a pre-amp function. However, my own system is also a weird blend of modern and vintage, so... Yeah.
My own system chain is PC > Fiio K7 > Acurus L10 > Acurus A100. I put this together with an eye towards future expansion, so will be adding additional source components down the line, CD player, turntable, that sort of thing, and the L10 will give me the inputs I need for that. It also just looks nice and the volume knob has a lovely feel, which is more than can be said for most of the other DAC/HPAs I've messed with. The Fiio is not bad, but it still feels cheap compared to the machined excellence of the Acurus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back