Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 15, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #257 of 442
Just confirming, there's no portability features with the 620S, right? No earcups which can turn flat or included case?
I threw my HD 558 (same chassis, so roughly same size) into my backpack throughout college, but it's not a bluetooth travel headphone by any means.

May 16, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #258 of 442
Just confirming, there's no portability features with the 620S, right? No earcups which can turn flat or included case?
I could not find out about earcups being flat, but as for the case - "Looks like it comes with a carrying pouch but not a hard case." per headphones.com

May 16, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #259 of 442
Unfair to ask you to compare them to the E3, but overall your impressions were fairly positive?

I've pre-ordered the 620s as a work and "summer" headphone (open windows and fans when it's not too hot, noisy window ACs when it is). Hoping to get a really nice sound with good isolation for a fair price.

My only other wired closed back is the DCA Aeon Closed X (the Drop one), and it's great in theory but I get seal issues and weird resonances within the cup. The hazards of closed backs!
Yes. Of course the DCA E3 plays in a totally different league but that is also reflected in the 7 times higher price - but in the entry-to-lower mid tier price range they are quite a contender for the best closed backs.
My expectations for the HD620s were not very high but my very first impressions of the HD620s at the Sennheiser booth were surprisingly good. The moment I put them on, it felt like a good blend of lively natural mids with relatively good staging and openness plus (well controlled and not boomy :) ) bass presence. There are limits obviously - like I missed a bit of precision, imaging and separation but they are still quite good.

The isolation was excellent and comfort was also good (I have a rather big head) and after some time I had one of those rare moments where I actually forgot that I had headphones on while reading something and turned towards a non-existing sound source. That's the reason why I tried them with different amps / DAPs / genres almost every time I passed by the Sennheiser booth (which happend several times since I was at the High End for two days mainly for the headphones in hall 1). I listened to Electronica/Jazz/Acoustic/live recordings but not to metal or classic music.

I really think, it is a nice "portable" (it does not fold but it felt sturdy) closed back solution. They were also fairly easy to drive from my DAP - but take that with a grain of salt since I am writing this while I am in this moment A/B-ing my HE6se, DCA E3 and a HEDDphone ... so my definition of "easy" may not be generally valid.

From the Sennheiser line, I currently own the HD800s, HD6xx, HD660s(1), HD560s, HD490pro, HD280pro and some vintage models like the HD424/414/560ov2/540ref1/250Lin1/2... and among those, this is definitely one of the more comfortable ones for my head and ears... in terms of sound quality I liked them better than my 560s and 660s(1) and found them more versatile than some of the others which are only excellent on tube amps. But I would have to check that with much more listening time. I also liked them better than the new closed back Focal Azuryis (although I own a Bathys) presented there and many other closed backs I checked - including the entire catastrophically dreadful Hifiman closed-back line (I do have and love some of their open models).

However for your intended "summer use", the artificial leather pads may become a bit sweaty; at least my ears were already a bit warm after a longer session.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #260 of 442
However for your intended "summer use", the artificial leather pads may become a bit sweaty; at least my ears were already a bit warm after a longer session.
Indeed 👍

I am surprised to see how many people are happy about plastic pads. Not only Sennheiser, but across all brands 😏

May 16, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #261 of 442
I've pre-ordered the 620s as a work and "summer" headphone (open windows and fans when it's not too hot, noisy window ACs when it is). Hoping to get a really nice sound with good isolation for a fair price.
Thank you and welcome to the HD 620S Club!
Cinched pouch included, keeps the cables collected and the drivers shielded from dust.
I could not find out about earcups being flat, but as for the case - "Looks like it comes with a carrying pouch but not a hard case." per headphones.com
🎯
There are limits obviously - like I missed a bit of precision, imaging and separation but they is still quite good.
Give them some time, the above traits will reveal themselves to be stellar in this price segment.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 16, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #262 of 442

May 16, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #263 of 442
@TheFritz Excellent, detailed breakdown! Thank you for that.

I'm very excited to get the 620s.

It may be heresy around these parts but I have to admit I've never been much of a fan of suede pads 😱

Shocking, I know.

Leather/artificial leather has its drawbacks, but I'm generally more drawn to it.

May 16, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #264 of 442
How does it compare to the disappointing HD820, which costs five times as much and has received numerous negative reviews? I currently own the HD820 which i found dead sounding vs the other top closed cans, but I'm really seeking a high-quality closed-back headphone. The Sony MDR Z1R and Fostex TH900 remain at the top of my list, but their unnatural frequency response, characterized by an extreme V-shaped sound, doesn't appeal to me in long time listening in the office. I also tried the Focal Stellia, but found its sound too closed in claustrophobic . I'm hopeful that this new Sennheiser model will finally deliver a superior closed-back option that can outshine both the HD820 and MDR Z1R.

May 16, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #265 of 442
I am surprised to see how many people are happy about plastic pads. Not only Sennheiser, but across all brands 😏
I've just resigned myself to the state of affairs with earpads. It seems like most people actually are happy with imitation leather and velour and so on. For the most part, third-party pad makers will have something I'll like for a popular enough model, but they'll have to see demand for it and get their hands on a pair of the stock headphones and pads first. I'm optimistic that something from a manufacturer as large as Sennheiser is going to be popular enough to spur third-party pad makers into action and I can put up with the synthetic material for a while.

May 16, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #266 of 442
There is no need to wait for 3rd party pads. Sennheiser's own HD560s velour pads will fit. Unfortunately, according to Sennheiser, this change impacts sound signature. So far, they have not elaborated, what changes and to what degree. Will need to experiment, once demo versions become available.

Who knows, the change may not be that bad after all.

May 16, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #267 of 442
Dekoni have leather pads that would fit.
Their stuff is top notch quality.
How it would sound compared to stock pads? Remains to be seen... 🤷‍♂️

May 16, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #268 of 442
There is no need to wait for 3rd party pads. Sennheiser's own HD560s velour pads will fit. Unfortunately, according to Sennheiser, this change impacts sound signature. So far, they have not elaborated, what changes and to what degree. Will need to experiment, once demo versions become available.

Who knows, the change may not be that bad after all.
You can check this post by ericpalonen https://www.head-fi.org/threads/unveiled-meet-the-hd-620s.972764/page-8#post-18116790

and solderdude's measurement:
LIcOlFv.png

May 16, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #270 of 442
I've just resigned myself to the state of affairs with earpads. It seems like most people actually are happy with imitation leather and velour and so on. For the most part, third-party pad makers will have something I'll like for a popular enough model, but they'll have to see demand for it and get their hands on a pair of the stock headphones and pads first. I'm optimistic that something from a manufacturer as large as Sennheiser is going to be popular enough to spur third-party pad makers into action and I can put up with the synthetic material for a while.
There are millions of Sennheiser units out there that use this coupling for the earpads, not just the HD 620S. But of course I prefer our stock earpads for the stock sound signature, of course YMMV. The HD 620S pads are perforated on the inner lip and spec'd to a specific density of cushioning, so it is all but assumed that changing pads will alter the stock sound, for better or worse.
Yeah it's drastic, and negates the purpose of a sealed headphone (to have a more private listening experience).
@ericpalonen I just wanted to confirm the HD620S will use the same cable connector as the HD560S? I have a few aftermarket cables for the 560 that I'd like to use on the 620.
Correct, same connector.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back