Audeze LCD-5 - The all new Audeze Flagship
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #151 of 167
Could really use some thoughts/advice.

I have a very nice collection - VC, Utopia, HD800S and Aeolus - and I have the Chord Hugo TT2/MScaler and A&S Kenzie to drive my collection.

I’m trying to determine from reviews and impressions whether the LCD-5s will bring a different flavor than what I have, or simply provide marginal improvements over these wonderful headphones. I’ve never heard Audeze so don’t have that frame of reference.

If the Audeze provides a different take, a different sound, I’m all in. I’d be less excited if it were in the same neighborhood of what I have.

I can purchase with a return policy but would rather know if this is a fool’s errand before I even start. Thanks for any advice/impressions.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #152 of 167
Could really use some thoughts/advice.

I have a very nice collection - VC, Utopia, HD800S and Aeolus - and I have the Chord Hugo TT2/MScaler and A&S Kenzie to drive my collection.

I’m trying to determine from reviews and impressions whether the LCD-5s will bring a different flavor than what I have, or simply provide marginal improvements over these wonderful headphones. I’ve never heard Audeze so don’t have that frame of reference.

If the Audeze provides a different take, a different sound, I’m all in. I’d be less excited if it were in the same neighborhood of what I have.

I can purchase with a return policy but would rather know if this is a fool’s errand before I even start. Thanks for any advice/impressions.
Sounds to me like you need to audition it yourself to make the informed decision that would suit you best., This is because it might be hard, if not impossible, for a third party to determine what you personally consider to be "marginal" or within "the same neighborhood." Plus nothing beats first hand trials : It is always possible that you might not like the LCD-5 for reasons of personal taste, even if it presents you with a sonic flavor that is substantially different from those that are already available to you.

To assure you that this is coming from a position of good faith, and not "trolling," I'll let you know that my unfiltered answer to your question is "Yes, go for the LCD-5," as I consider it to be an excellent choice that would offer you a solid and exciting alternative complementary flavor to those in your existing collection. The only consideration that is giving me pause is what I say in paragraph 1, above :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #153 of 167
Sounds to me like you need to audition it yourself to make the informed decision that would suit you best., This is because it might be hard, if not impossible, for a third party to determine what you personally consider to be "marginal" or within "the same neighborhood." Plus nothing beats first hand trials : It is always possible that you might not like the LCD-5 for reasons of personal taste, even if it presents you with a sonic flavor that is substantially different from those that are already available to you.

To assure you that this is coming for a position of good faith, and not "trolling," I'll let you know that my unfiltered answer to your question is "Yes, go for the LCD-5," as I consider it to be an excellent choice that would offer you a solid and exciting alternative complementary flavor to those in your existing collection. The only consideration that is giving me pause is what I say in paragraph 1, above :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Good advice and advice I took. Bought them - 🤞🤞🤞

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #155 of 167
I wonder, a used Susvara or a new LCD-5 coming from HD800?

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #156 of 167
I wonder, a used Susvara or a new LCD-5 coming from HD800?
My 2 cents. You already have the HE-6 adapter and AHB2, going with a used Susvara should be fairly easy. If you end up not liking the pairing, then you could always re-sell the Susvara on the used market for a smaller loss than you would have if you'd gotten the LCD-5 and resold.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #157 of 167
Bought them and cannot believe how amazing these sound. Hyper-detailed, deep-bass'd (especially after applying EQ via Roon) and silky smooth. Even accounting for the new-toy factor, these may be my favorite headphones, period.

Is the LCD-5 more detail or same level as the Focal Utopia? I am trying to find something that have better detail retrieval than the HD800 seems to me I need to focus in to get the details I want to hear. Need to try something that push out the details instead of searching for them. Thanks.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #158 of 167
Is the LCD-5 more detail or same level as the Focal Utopia? I am trying to find something that have better detail retrieval than the HD800 seems to me I need to focus in to get the details I want to hear. Need to try something that push out the details instead of searching for them. Thanks.

I read other (more expert) reviews suggesting that the Utopia is the king of detail. Resolve's YouTube review suggests that detail retrieval is superior on the Utopias, but I have to say, I hear more detail with the LCD-5, details I simply don't hear in the Utopias unless the LCD-5 identifies them in the first place. You don't have to search for the detail - you can pick an instrument and it's essentially isolated from all others.

All of which doesn't even touch on the sheer pleasure of the LCD-5 sound. By comparison, the Utopia sounds more clinical, narrower in soundstage. And seriously - this is coming from someone who loves the Utopias. But, apparently, not as much as the LCD-5s!

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #159 of 167
I read other (more expert) reviews suggesting that the Utopia is the king of detail. Resolve's YouTube review suggests that detail retrieval is superior on the Utopias, but I have to say, I hear more detail with the LCD-5, details I simply don't hear in the Utopias unless the LCD-5 identifies them in the first place. You don't have to search for the detail - you can pick an instrument and it's essentially isolated from all others.

All of which doesn't even touch on the sheer pleasure of the LCD-5 sound. By comparison, the Utopia sounds more clinical, narrower in soundstage. And seriously - this is coming from someone who loves the Utopias. But, apparently, not as much as the LCD-5s!
Would the LCD-5 be more detailed than the Susvara?

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #160 of 167
no, both are as detailed as one could need

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #161 of 167
no, both are as detailed as one could need
So to bone it out what are the major differences between the 2 without the hype and being realistic, coming from HD800 so hoping for something major advancement to mak a decision what route to go, do not have the opportunity to listen to both as living too far away from civilization...7,5 hour from a pair of used Susvara and 3 hours away from an LCD-5.....Sweden....

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #162 of 167
the lcd-5 is far easier to drive...is more forward and aggressive and has slightly more bass...the susvara is a monster to drive...has a more open soundstage...is a more ethereal experience...is for me more comfortable

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #163 of 167
the lcd-5 is far easier to drive...is more forward and aggressive and has slightly more bass...the susvara is a monster to drive...has a more open soundstage...is a more ethereal experience...is for me more comfortable
Hmm, you are not making it easier for me.....guess I have to rent a car and spend a weekend...

May 6, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #164 of 167
Hello fellow LCD-5 owners. I recently purchased these great headphones and really love them...so engaging and addictive to listen to. Just want to ask, how do most of you care for the leather ear pads of the 5? Thank you.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #165 of 167
Hello fellow LCD-5 owners. I recently purchased these great headphones and really love them...so engaging and addictive to listen to. Just want to ask, how do most of you care for the leather ear pads of the 5? Thank you.
Dekoni makes leather earpad wipes, I got a few when I purchased some sheepskin pads for my susvara. I have been using those and they work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back