Dac from android smartphone to active speakers.
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jpolop

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am new in the world of audio and I've just bought an Edifier S1000DB active speaker. I'd like to reproduce the FLAC files from an android phone without losing quality, so I've thought about purchasing an external DAC to replace the one from the phone. Does a DAC produce a significative improvement using it with an active speaker as the Edifier and a smartphone?
If it was the case, with a budget of 50-150 $ what DAC, without amp and non portability needed, should i consider?
Thanks

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi everyone, I am new in the world of audio and I've just bought an Edifier S1000DB active speaker. I'd like to reproduce the FLAC files from an android phone without losing quality, so I've thought about purchasing an external DAC to replace the one from the phone. Does a DAC produce a significative improvement using it with an active speaker as the Edifier and a smartphone?
If it was the case, with a budget of 50-150 $ what DAC, without amp and non portability needed, should i consider?
Thanks

If you're not using lossless files I'd go with what's convenient and free: Bluetooth.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 10
For $150, you could just get a DAP (Digital Audio Player) with a line-output function.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 10
If you're not using lossless files I'd go with what's convenient and free: Bluetooth.
The point is that I'm using lossless files.

For $150, you could just get a DAP (Digital Audio Player) with a line-output function.
Will I get a better sound with a 150$ DAP that when a 150 $ DAC + a phone? I prefer yo have all in one device bus if the diferente is significative I could go for a Fiio Mi6 or something like that.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Oh yeah FLAC.

I'd just worry about compatibility with your phone followed by whether it has 2V output. AFAIK the Modi3 should have wide compatibility range since it has a separate power input.

Thanks for the help. I can't find any local seller for the Modi 3 in my country (Spain); and knowing there are posibilities that it doesn't work fine with my phone, importing it from US or a foreign country would make a devolution too complicated.

My phone is a Samsung A10, if it makes a difference for choosing the DAC.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 10
The point is that I'm using lossless files.
Will I get a better sound with a 150$ DAP that when a 150 $ DAC + a phone? I prefer to have all in one device bus if the diferente is significative I could go for a Fiio Mi6 or something like that.
FiiO M6, all in one device for your needs (may need to buy separate memory card).
It's the kind of setup I would use, for your situation.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Bluetooth (when properly implemented) sounds fantastic, but if you are one of the many who think they can hear a difference then the other suggestions are the way to go. I have enjoyed good quality audio reproduction all of my life and I would be shocked beyond belief if you could ever tell the difference when doing blind listening tests. I used active speakers like this in a nearfield listening situation so I have also done exactly what you are looking to do. Nice speakers, I'm sure that you'll enjoy them.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the help. I can't find any local seller for the Modi 3 in my country (Spain); and knowing there are posibilities that it doesn't work fine with my phone, importing it from US or a foreign country would make a devolution too complicated.

My phone is a Samsung A10, if it makes a difference for choosing the DAC.

I don't know which ones are available there for cheap other than an ODAC from Head N HiFi in Switzerland.

To be honest though if $99+shipping is too risky you might as well look around for used gear and use BT on that speaker in the meantime. There's nothing wrong with waiting if it gets you something that gets shipped to you without any tariffs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back