IBasso DC-Elite . . . The no compromise DAC/AMP with a true Stepped Attenuator
May 6, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #421 of 450
Yes, iem and elite can be problematic, especially the brighter sensitive ones. On the other hand, I recently tried elite with aeon x and elite handled them even via se. I also think the Elite with full-size headphones is incredibly good.
Great to know - my target use is the easier to drive planar cans at low-mid volume....not going to slam them.

RU7 has great synergy with earpad rolled monoprice M565Cs - which is like the lush planar version of sennie HD600s with more micro-plankton and better imaging..

May 6, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #422 of 450
I have been using the Elite with the Sony R-10, an extremely enjoyable pair-up that allows them both to shine. I cut the cable on the Sony and put on an adapter, which allows me to use any plug I want to with the R-10.

May 7, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #423 of 450
I don't know if is the right thread... but I'll try to ask for advice here.

I want try extra battery for this device with CB19 cable, but i don't have experience about that.

Now i take "battery" only from the phone, but... is there an audiophile powerbank? :D

Thank you!

May 7, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #424 of 450
I don't know if is the right thread... but I'll try to ask for advice here.

I want try extra battery for this device with CB19 cable, but i don't have experience about that.

Now i take "battery" only from the phone, but... is there an audiophile powerbank? :D

Thank you!
I bought an Anker Power Bank IQ 3.0 which works perfectly. It is 10,000 mAh and has a readout of time to full charge and time remaining when in use. It is very small, only about twice the size of the Elite and using the CB19 will run the Elite for over 30 hours.

May 8, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #425 of 450
May 8, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #426 of 450
Just got Elite OOTB I feel it's a step in the direction of Hugo 2 vs Cayin RU-7 on first impression..can 'see' the layering and spatial difference to RU-7 immediately and tonally cooler as well.

Time for the brain burn-in to unfold.

May 8, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #427 of 450
Just got Elite OOTB I feel it's a step in the direction of Hugo 2 vs Cayin RU-7 on first impression..can 'see' the layering and spatial difference to RU-7 immediately and tonally cooler as well.

Time for the brain burn-in to unfold.
The Elite is a real high end source, uncolored (just a smidge of warmth), dynamic, layered, with a deep and powerful bass. I still cant believe how can you pack such performance in such a small device.

May 8, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #428 of 450
The Elite is a real high end source, uncolored (just a smidge of warmth), dynamic, layered, with a deep and powerful bass. I still cant believe how can you pack such performance in such a small device.
In your experience, which totl DAPs can it be compared to?
I'm currently selling Elite to upgrade to one of the flagship DAPs (Shanling M9 OG, HiBy RS8, Cayin N8ii), but wondering if I'll get a real increase at the day-and-night level or not..

May 8, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #429 of 450
In your experience, which totl DAPs can it be compared to?
I'm currently selling Elite to upgrade to one of the flagship DAPs (Shanling M9 OG, HiBy RS8, Cayin N8ii), but wondering if I'll get a real increase at the day-and-night level or not..
When it comes to the mentioned daps, you will gain very little if anything, unless you need more power to drive more demanding headphones.

May 8, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #430 of 450
When it comes to the mentioned daps, you will gain very little if anything, unless you need more power to drive more demanding headphones.
Ok, then let's think backwards, are there any portable DAPs that will beat the Elite like night and day?
Or is the bar so high that it makes no sense to overpay the conditional $2000 to get a 10% difference?

May 8, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #431 of 450
Ok, then let's think backwards, are there any portable DAPs that will beat the Elite like night and day?
Or is the bar so high that it makes no sense to overpay the conditional $2000 to get a 10% difference?
No dap on the market will beat the Elite SIGNIFICANLTY.
I currently have the AK sp1000, have had the sp2000 (like the sp1000 very slightly more but the sp2000 is hell of a dap), sp2000t, dx300, dx320, Kann Max, Shanling M9 and have tried many other daps.
I already reported in other thread about IBasso dongles that to my ears the sp1000 is slightly better- silghtly wider soundstage, bit more textured bass and more extended trebles. But these are nuances at best. Can i hear them? Yes i can but do they add any significant value to the sound? I would say NO.
To be honest, if someone takes the sp1000 from me today and leaves me with the Elite, i would be equally happy. The Elite presents such a high level of sound that you will be hardly pushed to justify any other purchase, especially a TOTL dap.
If your finances allow you to buy a TOTL dap and it wont cause any financial problems for you, then a TOTL dap would be a better choice imo. In this scenario you get an all in one device with even more power that will definitely not sound worse or even slightly better.
In other case, the Elite is a no brainer but it has its own drawbacks too, especially one the most significant- it needs a source that will deliver a lot of power via USB output. So at least PC, laptop or a smartphone which doesnt have power limitations, like Samsung or Sony. It also will empty the battery of your smartphone quickly (i can get max 5h of playback from my Samsung s20 but there are new phones, with better battery life). You can also use the trick with IBasso CB19 cable and draw the power from a separate powerbank. People report that in this case, the Elite reaches its peak in sound quality.

May 8, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #432 of 450
Does moving the Elite to full DSD 512 on the app takes the sonic brightness down a notch ?
I'm guessing it upscales (hardware side) whatever its fed - barring matched DSD.

May 8, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #433 of 450
Does moving the Elite to full DSD 512 on the app takes the sonic brightness down a notch ?
I'm guessing it upscales (hardware side) whatever its fed - barring matched DSD.
There's no built-in Upsampling but I've just tried to do Upsampling to DSD256 in Roon and my impression is indeed that this is taking the brightness edge up top and making it overall smoother.
Sources also play a big role.
Switching from Apple Music to Qobuz is like lifting warm blanket, so besides using external DSD conversion software you can try playing Apple Music 🫣😉
Regarding all this brightness talk, it's also up to pairing.
Using a neutral to warm IEM you will appreciate the accuracy and reveilling nature.
Playing for example my Aroma Fei Wan depends on source (as mentioned above).
If I want smoother presentation I am using Ibasso D16

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #434 of 450
There's no built-in Upsampling but I've just tried to do Upsampling to DSD256 in Roon and my impression is indeed that this is taking the brightness edge up top and making it overall smoother.
Sources also play a big role.
Switching from Apple Music to Qobuz is like lifting warm blanket, so besides using external DSD conversion software you can try playing Apple Music 🫣😉
Really ? With Cayin RU-7 having that feature of 3 DSD levels - it tends to alter the sound on the hardware-side as far as I'm aware.
Why would the iBasso app have those 3 settings for DSD ?

May 8, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #435 of 450
Really ? With Cayin RU-7 having that feature of 3 DSD levels - it tends to alter the sound on the hardware-side as far as I'm aware.
Why would the iBasso app have those 3 settings for DSD ?
Completely different design
DC Elite is a ROHM DAC implementation.
RU7, N7 or D16 are 1 Bit implementations which are doing DSD conversion on the fly
1 Bit implementations are usually smoother and analogue sounding whereas ROHM DAC is the most technical, detailed and reveilling (depending on factors mentioned above)
On top regardless of implementation the different DAPs and Dongles are tuned differently as @RIGATIO mentioned before.
RU7 for example has some raised treble besides being 1 bit DAC.
Different tunings are achieved also for example by using differently tuned amps behind the DACs even though on paper they have the same DAC chipset.
So different DAPs and DACs can sound different also because of such individual modifications done by the manufacturers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back