Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #150,721 of 152,336
Oddly enough, no. He kept joking about the tubes I used so I named it after him. I designed it with components handed to me in a bucket, in order to win a bet and it had Russian WW 2 tubes.😉 After winning the bet I upgraded many components.
The amp itself is butt ugly, but looks was not part of the original criteria.😁
Joking? Me? Really? :laughing: I simply said they looked like the Q-tip jar my wife had on the bathroom counter, and wondered where the Q-tips were. One man's cotton swab dispenser is another man's triode, I suppose. 🤣

May 6, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #150,722 of 152,336
Joking? Me? Really? :laughing: I simply said they looked like the Q-tip jar my wife had on the bathroom counter, and wondered where the Q-tips were. One man's cotton swab dispenser is another man's triode, I suppose. 🤣
The German version of those tubes did not look any better.😁

May 6, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #150,723 of 152,336
Oddly enough, no. He kept joking about the tubes I used so I named it after him. I designed it with components handed to me in a bucket, in order to win a bet and it had Russian WW 2 tubes.😉 After winning the bet I upgraded many components.
The amp itself is butt ugly, but looks was not part of the original criteria.😁IMG_3377.jpeg
Me thinks it's puurty!

May 6, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #150,724 of 152,336
May 6, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #150,727 of 152,336
Still thinking about that "I have to ask: is your Cowen power amp as awesome as who it's named after?" comment. I totally understand...! 🤣
All things are relative and ad hominem attacks are not welcome here, I will just say the amp weighs a lot and the nearby air becomes quite hot.🤪

Oh I just received a Vali 3 as well as a GE 5 star 5670 from 1958. First the stock tube for a few hours, then the GE. Source is just a Pono player for now into Focal Utopia headphones. By first take this is going to be a fun little amp!
Ok the GE tube is spectacular, low gain setting especially. Bass is incredible.

IMG_7877.jpeg

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #150,728 of 152,336
All things are relative and ad hominem attacks are not welcome here, I will just say the amp weighs a lot.🤪

Oh I just received a Vali 3 as well as a GE 5 star 5670 from 1958. First the stock tube for a few hours, then the GE. Source is just a Pono player for now into Focal Utopia headphones. By first take this is going to be a fun little amp!

I use at times (prior to Schiit), a Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. It's a hybrid DAC, and I use a GE JAN5670W in it too. Very respectable sound from that tube...! 🥴

May 6, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #150,729 of 152,336
All things are relative and ad hominem attacks are not welcome here, I will just say the amp weighs a lot.🤪

IMG_7877.jpeg

I also use low gain at my Vali 2++, actually all amps I own at low gain is very good.

May 6, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #150,730 of 152,336
I use at times (prior to Schiit), a Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. It's a hybrid DAC, and I use a GE JAN5670W in it too. Very respectable sound from that tube...! 🥴
I may have one of those on the way too. Bendix may get here tomorrow, WE396 soon after.

May 6, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #150,731 of 152,336
If you like iOS, you have in large part FreeBSD to thank; based on (you guessed it) open standards 🙂
It's the inverse of that! BSD is a fork of a proprietary system - UNIX. UNIX was developed and owned by AT&T, then sold to Novell. Novelll gave stewardship (under pressure!) to X/Open and they, in their subsequent guise, worked to form the Austin Group that (eventually) combined POSIX, IEEE and UNIX into a single open standard.
The first was open version, UNIX 95, was distinguished by being the first version NOT to require the purchase of proprietary code - that is, one could produce one's own code from the open spec.

Footnote, Apple OS X is a certified UNIX system.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #150,732 of 152,336
It's the inverse of that! BSD is a fork of a proprietary system - UNIX. UNIX was developed and owned by AT&T, then sold to Novell. Novelll gave stewardship (under pressure!) to X/Open and they, in their subsequent guise, worked to form the Austin Group that (eventually) combined POSIX, IEEE and UNIX into a single open standard.
The first was open version, UNIX 95, was distinguished by being the first version NOT to require the purchase of proprietary code - that is, one could produce one's own code from the open spec.

Footnote, Apple OS X is a certified UNIX system.
As you say, they are now open standards. Not sure where the contradiction is.

May 6, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #150,735 of 152,336
As you say, they are now open standards. Not sure where the contradiction is.
BSD was and remains a specific fork of a proprietary system. It conforms to SOME standards, to varying degrees, (depending on which derivative version) but its real claim to fame has always been open source rather than open standards.

BSD seems to like to perpetuate the mess that was UNIX in the early days, by having a number of derivatives.

The good news is that the combined work of many individuals and companies has resulted in most operating systems bening mostly similar (enough) that the open systems wars of the 80s and 90s are relegated to history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back