634EARS: Impressions, Discussions, and Appreciations Thread
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 702

Ace Bee

Headphoneus Supremus
logo.jpg

Born Out of Hobby of DIY earphones
634EARS was created by Musashi Saita from his hobby of making DIY earphones in pursuit of the sound he liked for his own enjoyment. He wanted to share the happiness he creates with other like-minded people as well, and hence the brand was born.
Musashi san named the brand after his own name - the number 634 is also pronounced as Musashi or Rokusanyon in Japanese. It is also known as Rokusanyon Ears.

Trivia: The tallest tower in Japan, the Sky Tree, has a height of 634 meters

100% Handmade
One of the specialties of 634EARS earphones is that they are 100% made by hand - preparation of housings, tuning of driver, assembly - everything. Through repeated trial-and-error learnings are incorporated to achieve the desired result.

Dynamic Drivers for Music
All 634EARS iems are based on Single Dynamic Drivers only, with aim of creating sound more musical than analytical. Musashi san prefers dynamic drivers as he feel tuning them is the best part of making the earphones by himself. Repeated experiments and trial-and-error methods are followed to develop the method of tuning different types of sound.

Customised Design and Sound
The USP of 634EARS lies in the fact that the materials can be chosen from a pre-defined set of choices to create a sound that is most suitable for the buyer. A mostly common material is wood. There is a wide variety of woods to be chosen from for any model. They do not only provide aesthetic aspects, but also distinctly affect the sound characteristics as well. Different woods have different inherent properties, which directly changes subtle but audible aspects of sound. These effects cannot be anticipated, and rigorous testing by trial-and-error method is done to identify them. Currently wood is mostly used for the backplates, but earlier it was also used to design the housing itself.
There is also the option to select metal backplates - Stainless Steel, Brass, and Copper. They also have distinct effect on sound likewise. There are some quite visually pleasing different types of Brass and Copper options as well.
In some cases, the tuning of the driver is also altered slightly according to the choice of backplate to provide the most optimised sound.

For the current flagship model, LOAK, there are different choices of housings based on Titanium, Stainless Steel, Brass, etc. Several limited-edition variations of LOAK have also been released with unique housing combinations, the details of those are mostly found on their instagram page. For all variations the tunings are different as well for the most optimised sound.

Current Product Catalogue
There have been a lot of different models available from 634EARS over the years. Not all of them are available at the moment. The current product catalogue is as follows:

https://634ears.com/en/category/products/earpones/

loak-tcl-c.jpg

loak-top-c.jpg

LOAK-SCL-1.jpg

LOAK-SOP-1.jpg

loak-ts.jpg

miroak.jpg

9ine.jpg

How to order
The ordering process for models with pre-determined fixed tuning can be done from the Order section of the official website. However, buying a 634EARS iem is an interactive process based on the buyer's individual preferences, and hence the best way to order is to have a conversation with them via mail or via their official instagram page.

Official Website
https://634ears.com/

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 702
As posted in the Watercooler thread,

I will share what I have pmed @Scuba Devils @Xinlisupreme @weexisttocease.

I guess I should start with the flagship the Loak-T (CL).

Will go into the models that are available and skip the ones that are limited runs and remakes since those are not easily available and you probably have to stalk him by email to come across these.

What I chose was Purpleheart wood, which is a hard wood and also fairly dense wood.

The Loak-T (CL) is very fast, sharpish and bright but it also depends on the type of wood you choose.

Since Purpleheart is hard and dense, the details are sharp but within tolerable levels, bright but not piercing bright, there is body and weight in the notes since it is more dense, but the bass is still quite neutral and not heavy.

The highs are quite extended and soundstage is quite wide.

It is very resolving and also very transparent. What I like about the 634 house sound is that it is still transparent regardless of whether it is bright or dark all throughout the models.

I would also describe the house sound as very expressive and the micro details are very delicate sounding and draws you into the music.

The other Loak I have is the Loak-TB, the Loaks with the metal backplates are tuned differently. They are slightly thicker sounding and bassier, but still very transparent with the same delicate details.

What is different with the Loak-TB is the mids and highs are very vibrant and vivid. It is quite gorgeous sounding with that wonderful brass resonance. I use this to listen to metal a lot but it is also very lush with vocals as well.

For the Miroak, I have the Miroak-S (stainless steel backplate), which is slightly darker and more relaxed sounding. It is slightly warmer and more vocal centric. Also very transparent and I would say the midrange is a bit more forward.

On to the 9iNe, this is the one with the darkest background and also the darkest of the models. I went with pink ivory on this.
The 9iNe is a bit of an odd one as it is still burning in for me even after long hours of running in.

It started out with a very thick and forward midrange and very heavy midbass and eventually as it was burning in the mids started opening up and the midbass became less heavy, but it is still a bit heavy.

However, the 9iNe is still very lush sounding for me and really shines with EDM.

Mine is still needs more hours on it.

The latest update from my friend's set was the level of warmth took a small dip, and that creates a upward larger headroom and imaging gets better pinpoint accuracy.

So will get back to you on the 9iNe as it changes.

You can refer to this for the choice of wood:

https://634ears.com/blog/wood-eng/

Choice of wood for the 9iNe:

https://blog.634ears.com/en/blog/9ine-wood/

you can also email him and just chat and ask him what to choose with what you like to hear.

As for the Loak-S, which is the Loak with the stainless steel nozzle, I don't have one, so not sure how it sounds.

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 702
Looking forward to this thread, big fan of smaller makers with true passion in their craft.

Feb 15, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 702
Will eventually share my impressions on the other two limited experiment 634Ears that I own later, the Loak BSB and Loak-S96.

Also have the Ober-B which I am not sure if it is still available to order, but mine was a remade item.

Would like to take this opportunity to welcome any 634ears users and those interested in getting the 634ears to this thread.

If there are any Head-fiers in Singapore interested in demoing any of these, just drop me a pm, I can arrange to meet up for a listening session.

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 702
52659F7C-3057-4B5B-AA6E-120CD14EF1FF.jpeg

I have a pair of the now discontinued SARN II. The line was then the gateway to get to know the 634Ears house sound. Knowing the characteristics of how aluminum can sound, I went with two of my favorite tonewood.. cocobolo and ebony (hybrid) to get a feel before ordering the higher tier lines. I was very much impressed that I ordered another SARN II in dry cocobolo that now has become my favorite IEM. Too bad the SARN was discontinued as it was IMO the most responsive and most influenced by the type of wood chosen.

To anyone considering 634Ears, I would highly suggest to read about tonewoods and know their sound characteristics.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 702
Feb 15, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 702
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 702
Will eventually share my impressions on the other two limited experiment 634Ears that I own later, the Loak BSB and Loak-S96.

Also have the Ober-B which I am not sure if it is still available to order, but mine was a remade item.

Would like to take this opportunity to welcome any 634ears users and those interested in getting the 634ears to this thread.

If there are any Head-fiers in Singapore interested in demoing any of these, just drop me a pm, I can arrange to meet up for a listening session.
Hi hi, could you pls share what is BSB and S96? Thanks 🙏🏻

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 702
Hi hi, could you pls share what is BSB and S96? Thanks 🙏🏻
Loak BSB is actually remake item, part of the trio that Musashi-san made from brass parts that he acquired back, he made 2 Loak BSB and a Loak SBS from those parts.

So the Loak BSB has brass nozzles and brass backplate with stainless steel body while the Loak SBS is made out of stainless steel nozzle and backplate with brass body.

All 3 have the same tuning as the Loak-TB, but because of the different parts, they sound different from Loak-TB.

327694595_1241514246442968_2440861174392067118_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn4At4Sv5Uk/

The Loak-S96 is also sort of an experiment by Musashi-san, made out of front and back stainless steel darkening and stainless steel body.

He only made 4 of these and probably will not make anymore because according to him the backplate does not dye very well.

This is my latest acquisition. For now I can say it is a pretty balanced sound signature where by none of the frequencies stands out and probably the most layered sounding 634ears I have heard.

326029488_1370163487066544_5244358576002267367_n.jpg

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 702
20230215_165709.jpg

9iNE: My unit is made with a Rosewood backplate, default tuning. It is paired with Satin Audio Theia II cable and Azla Sednaearfit Max eartips. The sound profile is a bit on the relaxed side with the most warmth. Bass is on the heavier side. Midrange is decently clean and crisp with a touch of warmth. Treble region is relatively laid back but still has a nice amount of sparkles, notes are crisp, extends well. Stage is decently wide and deep, with an above average height. Separation is also quite good.

20230215_165729.jpg

MIROAK-S: My unit is paired with Satin Audio Theia II cable and Azla Sednaearfit eartips. At its price point, the MIROAK-S is simply a marvel. It is a bit more neutral compared to 9iNE but still has a touch of warmth. The bass has slightly less heft but still punches quite well and is quite articulated. Textures and details are relatively more prominent. Midrange has more transparency and clarity. Treble has comparatively more energy and air but is not pushed forward too much. The notes are slightly bigger, feel more alive, are a bit more crisp but not overly sharp. The soundstage is noticeably bigger, more open, more three dimensional. Separation and imaging is improved as well. The leap in the performance is quite noticeable from 9iNE to MIROAK-S.

20230215_165746.jpg

LOAK-T(CL): My unit has a Cocobolo wood backplate, is paired with Effect Audio Ares S cable and Tri Clarion eartips. The tuning is 3222 (Bass-3, Sharpness-2, Directness-2, Rear vibration absorber-2). Immediately as you start listening to it you will understand that this is playing at a whole different level. The sound feels like floating around you. Each note is more distinctly defined, is bigger, and feels even more tangible. Bass slam is more tight, has more perceivable details and textures. Midrange is even more transparent and airy, with crystal clear background. Treble is more forward, has more energy and excitement, feels truly ethereal. Overall the sound is much more dynamic. Soundstage is considerably bigger in all direction, more airy, with sharper imaging that leads to a near holographic experience. Takes my breath away every time I listen to it. Although, the upper mids might hint towards very slight discomfort on some tracks with really harsh and torturous emphasis in that region, but very rarely I experience that.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 702
Loak BSB is actually remake item, part of the trio that Musashi-san made from brass parts that he acquired back, he made 2 Loak BSB and a Loak SBS from those parts.

So the Loak BSB has brass nozzles and brass backplate with stainless steel body while the Loak SBS is made out of stainless steel nozzle and backplate with brass body.

All 3 have the same tuning as the Loak-TB, but because of the different parts, they sound different from Loak-TB.

327694595_1241514246442968_2440861174392067118_n.jpg

The Loak-S96 is also sort of an experiment by Musashi-san, made out of front and back stainless steel darkening and stainless steel body.

He only made 4 of these and probably will not make anymore because according to him the backplate does not dye very well.

This is my latest acquisition. For now I can say it is a pretty balanced sound signature where by none of the frequencies stands out and probably the most layered sounding 634ears I have heard.

326029488_1370163487066544_5244358576002267367_n.jpg

If you can make a comparative study among the LOAK-T(CL), LOAK-BSB, and LOAK-S96, that would be enriching!

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 702
9iNE: My unit is made with a Rosewood backplate, default tuning. It is paired with Satin Audio Theia II cable and Azla Sednaearfit Max eartips. The sound profile is a bit on the relaxed side with the most warmth. Bass is on the heavier side. Midrange is decently clean and crisp with a touch of warmth. Treble region is relatively laid back but still has a nice amount of sparkles, notes are crisp, extends well. Stage is decently wide and deep, with an above average height. Separation is also quite good.
Thanks for starting the thread. Have my 9ine on order with cocobolo. Your description here definitely sounds like what I would hope for, though it does make me wonder if I chose the right wood or should have stuck with the rosewood, even just from an aesthetic standpoint... Either way, hoping mine should be ready to ship later this week or shortly afterwards.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 702
Thanks for starting this thread, @Ace Bee!

I'll be sure to post pictures and initial impressions when I receive my 9iNE with padauk wood. Like @mashuto, my set should be ready to ship later this week or sometime next week.

I've not a had a single DD IEM in my rotation since the NF Audio NM2+ which I find borderline unlistenable without heavy handed EQ. Looking forward to having a set that should be tuned much more to my preferences and also looks quite stunning to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back