ALO/ Red Wine Audio Desk Top Headphone Amp (Amphora) W/ PHOTOS
Mar 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #151 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had another head-fier's Amphora arrive today, while he is in Iraq serving our country. It is my job to do the burn-in, listen to it, and let some other local head-fiers like Blutarsky, Sherwood and Naamanf listen to it as well. Then it will go on to some Florida head-fiers for more listening and enjoyment.

<snip>

Thanks a lot for the impressions, and the beautiful pictures!
biggrin.gif

Stunning amplifier indeed...

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #155 of 203
Well, I received mine today from Vinnie at the NYC meet. It is breathtakingly beautiful and sounds fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

If you look at the above picture, the one on top of the rest looks like mine.

I got #011/100. I will post impressions in the other thread when I get to spend some intimate quiet time with it.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #157 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of wood are those "blackish" Amphoras?

PS: Each Amphora truly is unique, my finish looks a bit different than the ones posted. I'll try and upload photos of mine later.

Claro walnut,

I buy from

Goby Walnut & Western Hardwoods

Some images of Claro are here

Exotic Wood walnut, claro

Beautiful stuff.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #158 of 203
Larry, I do look forward to your impressions at the 200 hour mark. I would think that after such a burn in the sound would have settled and a more accurate representation of the unit would be achieved. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #159 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I do look forward to your impressions at the 200 hour mark. I would think that after such a burn in the sound would have settled and a more accurate representation of the unit would be achieved. Thanks.

Yup - I have 39 hours on it right now, and will repost back at 200.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #160 of 203
Having heard the Amphora this weekend at the NY meet, I will say that it is just about perfect at the unity-gain setting with Etymotic ER4P's. Plenty of volume, and absolutely no hiss. Amazingly full sounding, including very nice bass, yet completely unforced. Love the Goldpoint attenuator too.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #161 of 203
My question no dac in the amphora what would be a top shelf dac to go along
with the amphora ? also being the amphora is a headphone amp would the dac
need be a DAC AMP like RS predator any thoughts welcome as i am all ears
and new to the audiophile seen money is not a object but overkill is.
thanks much

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #162 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALL EARS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question no dac in the amphora what would be a top shelf dac to go along
with the amphora ? also being the amphora is a headphone amp would the dac
need be a DAC AMP like RS predator any thoughts welcome as i am all ears
and new to the audiophile seen money is not a object but overkill is.
thanks much

Do you really mean top-shelf, or do you mean a DAC in the $300 - $1000 range?

I am using Amphora right now in my hotel room with Macbook and a $275 iBasso D10 portable DAC line-out with Soloz 12-strand minin-RCA into the Amphora and then into my ATH-ESW10. And last night I was listening to the Amphora with my iMod which has some music on it that is not on my laptop.
Sound is very good despite the low cost of the DAC.

Another very nice small and not too costly DAC is the Gamma 1 (AMB design) which MrX could build at I'm guessing under $300 - or a $399 Headroom Micro DAC or DACMagic or Pico DAC-only (coming soon).

It sounds even better off my full size PS Audio Digital Link III DAC (retail $995).

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #163 of 203
THANKS HEADPHONEADDICT I PROBABLY WOULD SPEND IN THE $500 RANGE FOR A DAC I ALSO HAVE MAC BOOK PRO, 30GIG IMOD VIDEO, WAITING FOR MY AMPHORA SO ITS RESEARCH TIME FOR THE BEST SOUND I CAN GET WITH IN MY BUDGET FOR A DAC , SO ITS SAFE TO SAY DONT GET A
AMP DAC BUT, A DAC ONLY,SOUNDS LIKE BLISS COST'S $$$$$
WHAT ABOUT ADDING A UPPER END SOUND CARD , WILL THAT TAKE A DAC'S PLACE ? HOW DOSE THE AMPHORA /MAC SOUND ? I WILL BE USING SE530 TILL I EITHER GET EDITION 9 OR HD800 A PAL WILL BE PICKING UP FOR ME IN GERMANY.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #164 of 203
I wish the knob were made out of wood too or a kind of metal where the shape and color didn't clash with the wooden body so much. Maybe a knob that is a bit more shallow rather than sticking out so far.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #165 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALL EARS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THANKS LARRY I PROBABLY WOULD SPEND IN THE $500 RANGE FOR A DAC I ALSO HAVE MAC BOOK PRO, 30GIG IMOD VIDEO, WAITING FOR MY AMPHORA SO ITS RESEARCH TIME FOR THE BEST SOUND I CAN GET WITH IN MY BUDGET FOR A DAC , SO ITS SAFE TO SAY DONT GET A
AMP DAC BUT, A DAC ONLY,SOUNDS LIKE BLISS COST'S $$$$$
WHAT ABOUT ADDING A UPPER END SOUND CARD , WILL THAT TAKE A DAC'S PLACE ? HOW DOSE THE AMPHORA /MAC SOUND ? I WILL BE USING SE530 TILL I EITHER GET EDITION 9 OR HD800 A PAL WILL BE PICKING UP FOR ME IN GERMANY.

The Amphora right out of the Macbook headphone doesn't sound very good, because the Macbook Pro sound isn't very good. The iBasso D10 as a DAC is all you really need to enjoy the Amphora off the Mac - it will connect via USB or Optical, and can charge off the USB port without being plugged into the wall, so you are still totally off grid.

The Pico DAC only would also be an excellent choice - I have used the Pico DAC-amp for over a year as a DAC/pre-amp, and the DAC-only will have a clean line out and run entirely off USB without needing to plug into the wall.

The Gamma 1 can charge via USB, and has optical, coax and USB DAC like the D10, for about the same price and size - but it doesn't run off battery with an iMod or have a headphone amp - it is laptop/mac/pc only. (you could plug phones into the line out like Wiatrob, but it isn't optimal as anything but a DAC-only).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back