Anyone interested in an amateur 10-way cheap chi-fi IEM shootout/review?
May 4, 2024 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kneelthepetal

New Head-Fier
Long story short I was drunk and ordered 10 highly rated <100$ chi-fi IEMs (long story). I don't intend to return them, so I was planning on opening one every few days and cataloguing my thoughts as I went for my own purposes. I have 0 experience or expertise and the review would be purposefully subjective so I take no offense if the answer is no. If people are interested I'll put a little more detail into my notes so I can format it into a review later.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 17
I did something similar, but as I was sober at the time, I only bought five. Been so busy I haven't even gotten around to opening them! :laughing: No pressure on you, but since you're noting their qualities anyway, I'd be happy if you shared your thoughts. :thumbsup:

May 5, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 17
Go for it, mate!

Technically, I guess 99% of reviewers are "amateurs" - doing it for love. I mean who can make a liveable income by reviewing IEMs and DAC/amp :beyersmile:

May 5, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the replies, I guess if I'm doing it anyway might as well get some writing practice in.
Here are the IEMs on deck for me, in no particular order:

20240505_230731.jpg

1. TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero: RED
2. Kiwi Ears Melody
3. SIMGOT EW200
4. TANGZU Wan’er S.G
5. Moondrop CHU II
6. KZ ZVX
7. QKZ x HBB
8. TINHIFI T3 plus
9. 7Hz Salnotes Zero
10. BLON x HBB Z300

The Kiwi Ears were the most expensive of the bunch (planar), but also left me dissatisfied...it was also the first IEM I ordered which kick started this whole mess. It's also why the rest are around $50 max (I felt kinda burned on the pricetag for what I got) so yes I know I'm missing stuff like the Hexa, Titan S, and Aria II. Maybe someone can help me pick one based on the results of this study. The Kiwi Ears are also the only planars on the list... if anyone knows of a sub $100 decent planar IEM I would be willing to give it a spin to see if it's just the Kiwi Ears or if I just hate planars.

So far I've been using the included cable/tips for each set. Plan is to use a 4.4mm Tripowin Zonie cable and a consistent set of tips (looking at the Dunu S&S) for the actual comparisons. Unless any of the above IEMs are know to come with some high quality tips?

Anyway, who knows how long this will take. I have a slight worry that my favorite IEM at the end of the day will be the last one I listened to since I would be used to that sound lol

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 17
It will still be worth the effort and probably a lot of fun for you to do. Just be as systematic and consistent in the testing approach as you can. I'll certainly enjoy the read.

May 5, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 17
May 5, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 17
NiceHck F1 Pro

Notice the Pro, not the older non-pro version.
I actually had that on my list for ~$100 IEMs lol, heard good things. Was looking at that alongside the Hidizs MP145 which is $35-ish more and the kiwi ears, ended up going with the kiwi ears since it was the cheapest of the 3... $99.99 MSRP for the F1 pro just barely make the cut off lol. I notice you've reviewed quite a few IEMs, do you think the sound between the two is that different?

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 17
I actually had that on my list for ~$100 IEMs lol, heard good things. Was looking at that alongside the Hidizs MP145 which is $35-ish more and the kiwi ears, ended up going with the kiwi ears since it was the cheapest of the 3... $99.99 MSRP for the F1 pro just barely make the cut off lol. I notice you've reviewed quite a few IEMs, do you think the sound between the two is that different?
You mean the MP145 and F1 Pro? I’ve reviewed both and I prefer the F1 Pro, but I know many who prefer the Hidizs and you can’t go wrong with either.

They likely have the same driver anyway.

May 6, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 17
We overlap on the Waner, Chu II and Zero. :relaxed:

May 6, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the replies; I guess if I'm doing it anyway, I might as well get some writing practice in.
Here are the IEMs on deck for me, in no particular order:

20240505_230731.jpg

1. TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero: RED
2. Kiwi Ears Melody
3. SIMGOT EW200
4. TANGZU Wan’er S.G
5. Moondrop CHU II
6. KZ ZVX
7. QKZ x HBB
8. TINHIFI T3 plus
9. 7Hz Salnotes Zero
10. BLON x HBB Z300

The Kiwi Ears were the most expensive of the bunch (planar), but also left me dissatisfied...it was also the first IEM I ordered which kick started this whole mess. It's also why the rest are around $50 max (I felt kinda burned on the pricetag for what I got) so yes I know I'm missing stuff like the Hexa, Titan S, and Aria II. Maybe someone can help me pick one based on the results of this study. The Kiwi Ears are also the only planars on the list... if anyone knows of a sub $100 decent planar IEM I would be willing to give it a spin to see if it's just the Kiwi Ears or if I just hate planars.

So far I've been using the included cable/tips for each set. Plan is to use a 4.4mm Tripowin Zonie cable and a consistent set of tips (looking at the Dunu S&S) for the actual comparisons. Unless any of the above IEMs are know to come with some high quality tips?

Anyway, who knows how long this will take. I have a slight worry that my favorite IEM at the end of the day will be the last one I listened to since I would be used to that sound lol
Let me know when you review 7. QKZ x HBB. I also decided to watch a few videos and foolishly purchased them and the Geek Wold Gk100. I did try out the Gk 100, but I guess I like a punchy bass, and bass is not their strength, so I will be selling them soon. Is it just me being a newbie, but how or where do you all try out headphones and IEMs before purchasing them, or is everyone just watching videos and reading reviews prior to buying IEMs?

May 6, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 17
The Kiwi Ears are also the only planars on the list... if anyone knows of a sub $100 decent planar IEM I would be willing to give it a spin to see if it's just the Kiwi Ears or if I just hate planars.
I never heard the F1 Pro but I am a fan of the Artti T10 most of the time just costing $55 it is competitive
chrome_06-05.png
chrome_06-05 (2).png

Screenshotted from Akros his video

Otherwise I am not that interested in the posted IEMs you will review but that shouldn't be a reason to stop you. Get some experience reviewing them and it may lead to something good!

May 6, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 17
Oh I am so down to follow this, although I'm more in an over-ear era at the moment. But the siren call of chi-fi is always there, it's a bit like gambling because for very little outlay one can hit a sonic jackpot - much more often than in actual gambling - and sometimes, well... at least in either instance either the documentation or a slogan on the marketing somewhere will be amusing, and that is said with all the love in the world. I have to think that at this point companies without a fluent/native English speaker just lean into it.

Do you mind if I ask you where you ordered them from, @kneelthepetal ? Ama? Ali? And thank you for sharing your journey with this 'little' haul haha. Are you planning on keeping them? No judgement as I recently blew past any level of "I've just got enough sets of headphones/earphones for each specific use case" into "I collect audio gear" territory myself, and that little transition was more or less enabled by the good folks hopefully earning something resembling a decent wage over in China.

May 6, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 17
You mean the MP145 and F1 Pro? I’ve reviewed both and I prefer the F1 Pro, but I know many who prefer the Hidizs and you can’t go wrong with either.

They likely have the same driver anyway.
Sorry, meant the kiwi ears melody and F1 pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back