Are you a console or PC gamer?
Aug 9, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #16 of 973
However, I still keep a small collection of retro consoles around, even if emulation is easy. There's just something about playing on the original hardware that emulation often can't quite replicate, especially on platforms like the Sega Saturn with a notoriously complicated architecture, and the N64, where 2D elements in Project64 just look like filtered garbage instead of clean sprites.

True that! I grew up on Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and PlayStation, and a bit of N64. I eventually started playing original NES games, which tend to be surprisingly difficult. I only played a friend's Sega Saturn, but remember it being quite fun. Later on I got consoles like the GameCube and PS3. The capabilities of newer consoles make for an interesting experience, but the games lack the genius of the classics.

One benefit of emulators is when the game is not released in English. For example, Mother 3 (the sequel to my second favorite video game EarthBound) was not released outside of Japan, so fans made their own English translation.

Speaking of N64 graphics, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D on 3DS blew my mind. Looks so much better than the original.

As a diehard PC gamer who hasn't touched a console in years, I don't look down on people who have no desire to game on a PC. If they enjoy their games and don't feel like theyre missing out then more power to them, its all about having fun

That's a respectful attitude to have. I'll become a PC gamer sooner or later. But I'm so in love with consoles I doubt I'd ever give them up!

I do have the PC remaster of my favorite video game, Final Fantasy VII. (Originally on PS1.) Haven't played it more than a few minutes yet. I want to get a custom desktop because I can't comfortably play PC games even though I have a gaming laptop. It overheats and instantly shuts off when I push it too hard, and it can't handle nearly as much as it could when I first got it. Perhaps RAM drives will make gaming easier. I got excellent results using them for HD videos and so on.

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #17 of 973

That's a respectful attitude to have. I'll become a PC gamer sooner or later. But I'm so in love with consoles I doubt I'd ever give them up!

I do have the PC remaster of my favorite video game, Final Fantasy VII. (Originally on PS1.) Haven't played it more than a few minutes yet. I want to get a custom desktop because I can't comfortably play PC games even though I have a gaming laptop. It overheats and instantly shuts off when I push it too hard, and it can't handle nearly as much as it could when I first got it. Perhaps RAM drives will make gaming easier. I got excellent results using them for HD videos and so on.

Ever since I watercooled my entire PC I'm more worried about why my components are above 30C rather than overheating
tongue.gif
 I admit its nice to just grab a controller and kick back on the sofa sometimes. I'm just a sucker for 144 fps and super maxed out graphics

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #18 of 973

Ever since I watercooled my entire PC I'm more worried about why my components are above 30C rather than overheating
tongue.gif
 I admit its nice to just grab a controller and kick back on the sofa sometimes. I'm just a sucker for 144 fps and super maxed out graphics

If you have a G-SYNC/ULMB monitor, in those games where you get 144 FPS I recommend instead setting refresh rate to 120 Hz, enabling Fast Sync or triple buffered V-Sync (try both), and enable ULMB.  Much smoother experience due sample and hold motion blur being eliminated.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #19 of 973

If you have a G-SYNC/ULMB monitor, in those games where you get 144 FPS I recommend instead setting refresh rate to 120 Hz, enabling Fast Sync or triple buffered V-Sync (try both), and enable ULMB.  Much smoother experience due sample and hold motion blur being eliminated.

My monitor can run at 165hz so thats what I usually leave it at (Acer XB270HU). Ive tried the ULMB and it didnt seem to make enough difference in blur for me to sacrifice 45hz

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 973
PC only, the  real way to games are played, if one has the right rig that is..enjoy

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #22 of 973
I'm mostly a PC player myself but I'll still play games on my PS4 for the exclusive or the bad ports.

I've been a PC player for my entire life, my first memory of gaming was playing Oids on my Dad's Macintosh. I didn't get into console gaming until I manage to buy my own console which was the Sony PS3. Because of this, I missed out on a lot of great games that were only released on N64, Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2. I still had vivid painful memories of walking into game shops but can only stare at the games that looked fun but I could never play. That's why I don't understand the players who are only dedicated to one platform and limit themselves.

More and more games are multi-platform nowadays, but sometimes there will still be ****ty PC ports(*cough*Arkham Knight*cough*). And some Japanese games still only release on console as well. I love my PC for its performance and versatility, console and handheld for its games that I would never be able to experience otherwise.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 973
Pcgamer since the early 80s. I did play a bit of Nes in the 90s but still stuck with pc games and sims to this day.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #25 of 973
  I consider myself a dedicated gamer so with that said; I game on both PC and console. I currently own an Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One. I then have two gaming computers one with a GTX1080 and the other with a GTX 980.

In my younger years I would have definitely called myself a dedicated gamer. I would play almost every new game that came out on any system, any genre, etc. Nowadays with limited free time I tend to just stick to my handful of go-to PC games and the occasional new release that catches my eye

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #26 of 973
I'd say both of them. I own a gaming PC (with an i5, gtx 970, 16 gigs of RAM and gaming peripherals like mech keyboards, three of them, and 300+ games on steam and several more on origin, uplay and gog - I guess you could say I have built this machine towards gaming mostly) and an Xbox 360 with 100+ games on discs, and grew up with Sega Megadrive (Genesis) and Master System. Between growing up and being an adult I had both Playstation and Playstation 2, and yes, I still have FF7. However, before that I had an Atari 2600 and Commodore 64. I also once owned a PSP and Sega Gamegear. So, really, I am a bit of both. If I were to choose to keep only one I'd go with my PC, but I want them all.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #27 of 973
  I'd say both of them. I own a gaming PC (with an i5, gtx 970, 16 gigs of RAM and gaming peripherals like mech keyboards, three of them, and 300+ games on steam and several more on origin, uplay and gog - I guess you could say I have built this machine towards gaming mostly) and an Xbox 360 with 100+ games on discs, and grew up with Sega Megadrive (Genesis) and Master System. Between growing up and being an adult I had both Playstation and Playstation 2, and yes, I still have FF7. However, before that I had an Atari 2600 and Commodore 64. I also once owned a PSP and Sega Gamegear. So, really, I am a bit of both. If I were to choose to keep only one I'd go with my PC, but I want them all.

Forgot about my Atari 2600. I guess I also was a console gamer as far as the nes and atari are concerned, but did pc game a back to the comodore 64 and apple II

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #28 of 973
PC gamer. Unfortunately, due to a semi-nomadic lifestyle these past few years, I haven't been able to properly construct a nice desktop rig. I do have an ASUS gaming laptop however that serves me well - with a Nvidia 970M. More than enough for the likes of League of Legends and Overwatch, the two multiplayer games I play.

Looking forward to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but won't be able to play it until I submit my thesis on of before September 19th.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #29 of 973
I'm glad Final Fantasy XIII-2 is available on PC now via Steam. (I played it for hundreds of hours on PS3.) But I won't really be able to play it on a PC until I upgrade to the custom desktop I'm planning. My Alienware M11x R2 laptop just doesn't handle things like it used to, and it overheats and shuts off when I push it too hard. RAM drives are making things easier, like with HD videos, but I doubt even that would fix things when it comes to HD games. I'd also like to use some sort of controller similar to PS3. I think you can actually use a PS3 controller on a PC with the right setup. Gaming with a keyboard is rather alien to me, aside from emulators.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 973
  PC gamer. Unfortunately, due to a semi-nomadic lifestyle these past few years, I haven't been able to properly construct a nice desktop rig. I do have an ASUS gaming laptop however that serves me well - with a Nvidia 970M. More than enough for the likes of League of Legends and Overwatch, the two multiplayer games I play.

Looking forward to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but won't be able to play it until I submit my thesis on of before September 19th.

I'm looking forward to the Mankind Divided too. From what I've read from the reviews it seems like it's a strong sequel to a pretty good game. But currently I'm already spending most of my free time playing WOW and Overwatch, so I'm kind of torn between pre-ordering it now or wait until it's on sale.

I'm glad Final Fantasy XIII-2 is available on PC now via Steam. (I played it for hundreds of hours on PS3.) But I won't really be able to play it on a PC until I upgrade to the custom desktop I'm planning. My Alienware M11x R2 laptop just doesn't handle things like it used to, and it overheats and shuts off when I push it too hard. RAM drives are making things easier, like with HD videos, but I doubt even that would fix things when it comes to HD games. I'd also like to use some sort of controller similar to PS3. I think you can actually use a PS3 controller on a PC with the right setup. Gaming with a keyboard is rather alien to me, aside from emulators.

Yeah, I used to use MotioninJoy to connect PS3 controller and use DS4Windows now to connect PS4 controller to my PC. Action games play so much better on a controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back