ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Jul 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #781 of 801

I'm pretty sure I put each wire in the right place, so it's just my bad solder job with the red wire? I was afraid of it being too squished in there.

Did you use the original wires? The coating has to be removed correctly and it's difficult. I used non-coated stranded wire-26g or similar will work. Makes the job SO much easier.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #782 of 801
  Did you use the original wires? The coating has to be removed correctly and it's difficult. I used non-coated stranded wire-26g or similar will work. Makes the job SO much easier.

Yeah i used the original wires, I tried to burn off the coating with a match. It was pretty difficult and there was a lot of black soot on the wires afterwards. That may be the majority of the problem. I guess I'll try to re-solder with the original wires once more then if that does not work l'll try your method. Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of the thick black wire insulator that combined the 3 wires so they are loose inside the housing just so it won't be as cramped in there?

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #783 of 801

Yeah i used the original wires, I tried to burn off the coating with a match. It was pretty difficult and there was a lot of black soot on the wires afterwards. That may be the majority of the problem. I guess I'll try to re-solder with the original wires once more then if that does not work l'll try your method. Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of the thick black wire insulator that combined the 3 wires so they are loose inside the housing just so it won't be as cramped in there?

That won't really matter. I would just use 3 new small wires.

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #784 of 801
Just did the mod - was actually really easy - I replaced all three wires since it was no big deal.

Any recs for a good 3.5mm cable to go with this that is cheap?

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #785 of 801
  Just did the mod - was actually really easy - I replaced all three wires since it was no big deal.

Any recs for a good 3.5mm cable to go with this that is cheap?

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437146415&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+aux+cable

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #787 of 801
If you are using a jack that uses a nut to secure itself in place, I suggest you ditch the nut and just use a hot glue gun. Hot glue would provide a bigger surface area to anchor the jack. 

If using the nut, fastening it basically sandwiches the plastic housing to secure the jack. This is bad because the pressure caused by the cable getting pulled or tugged is translated to the very small amount of plastic that's holding the jack in place. This can cause the plastic around the jack to crack.

Perhaps I screwed the nut on too tightly or the cable got yanked too hard, but either way the housing around the jack on my M50s cracked and I just wanted to share that with you guys. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #788 of 801
  If you are using a jack that uses a nut to secure itself in place, I suggest you ditch the nut and just use a hot glue gun. Hot glue would provide a bigger surface area to anchor the jack. 

If using the nut, fastening it basically sandwiches the plastic housing to secure the jack. This is bad because the pressure caused by the cable getting pulled or tugged is translated to the very small amount of plastic that's holding the jack in place. This can cause the plastic around the jack to crack.

Perhaps I screwed the nut on too tightly or the cable got yanked too hard, but either way the housing around the jack on my M50s cracked and I just wanted to share that with you guys. 

I did not over tighten mine. Just enough to prevent movement, then a dab of hot glue to prevent it from backing off.

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #789 of 801
I been thinking of adding a removable cable to my Ath-M50 for some time now. The reason I haven't done it yet is that I don't want the end result to look bad ( like a picture I saw with glue gun glu all over the connector) but also I'm afraid I'll never be able to snap the cup back completely. They fit so much stuff that needs to be put back a certain way otherwise you'll crush something, the clips will keep popping open or you'll end up just breaking the darn thing. My iPod 5.5 came real close to becoming a permanent part of my wall because of that.

Anyway my question is, now that they came out with the Ath-M50x that has the removable cable, is it worth it to mod my regular straight cabled M50? I already have the headphones and the parts needed, I would just need to find best type of wire to make the cable.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #790 of 801
I been thinking of adding a removable cable to my Ath-M50 for some time now. The reason I haven't done it yet is that I don't want the end result to look bad ( like a picture I saw with glue gun glu all over the connector) but also I'm afraid I'll never be able to snap the cup back completely. They fit so much stuff that needs to be put back a certain way otherwise you'll crush something, the clips will keep popping open or you'll end up just breaking the darn thing. My iPod 5.5 came real close to becoming a permanent part of my wall because of that.

Anyway my question is, now that they came out with the Ath-M50x that has the removable cable, is it worth it to mod my regular straight cabled M50? I already have the headphones and the parts needed, I would just need to find best type of wire to make the cable.

Look back at my work. Does this look bad? No, looks stock. Use my parts and info. You can do it.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #791 of 801

Headphone was lying dead in my carton box because i couldn't fix it. Managed to get someone to help me repair it. 
But he seem to have done it in a different way. Idk if it actually affects the sound but it still sounds great to me.

Now it looks like this.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #792 of 801

Headphone was lying dead in my carton box because i couldn't fix it. Managed to get someone to help me repair it. 
But he seem to have done it in a different way. Idk if it actually affects the sound but it still sounds great to me.

Now it looks like this.

Looks like he didn't solder the wires, but just taped them. Should hold up.

Where did you get that cable? Looks nice.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #794 of 801
Just did the mod myself. Super easy turns out and I hadn't used a soldering iron in a decade!

Used a Dremel to do the cut so it could close around the jack. Tomorrow I'm replacing the ear pads with a velour and leather hybrid. So far though I'm loving the change!

May 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #795 of 801
Hello! The drivers of m50 and m50x are identical? Both Headphones sounds equal?

Well i mean, i want to know, from people that have m50's, if they want or if they could, change their m50's for the new m50x. And if this exchange, make any sense.

Im about to buy one m50, but i saw a video review, and the "reviwer" said, that the m50x have some slight improvements.

So m50x are rly better then m50? Or They are rly equivalent on sound quality? Im not worried about, the detachable cable detail from m50x!

Please help me!

And thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back