Best IEM tips?
May 2, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #3,271 of 3,352
Which tips have you had the best luck with?
This depends heavily on the shape and length of the nozzle, but my favorites are Velvets, Baroque and Spiral Dots FX9, (the older ones). I have many many different tips to test with if problems. Also all Acoustune x07, x08, x70 and variants and copies of these are good to have handy😊

May 2, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #3,272 of 3,352
Exactly! It was driving me totally nuts to the point where I thought I had a defective right-side IEM. Sometimes it closes off completely, but other times it's just a rolloff in the treble that starts somewhere in the 6k-8k region. It makes things like cymbals, hi-hats, and other sparkly sounds shift to the left side of my head. Very disorienting.

Only solution I've found so far is to try and get a very shallow and loose fit. Not ideal, especially for things like walking which immediately shakes the IEM loose from its very tenuous seal. Sounds like I just need to keep searching for better fitting tips...

It's not quite that. If the seal is especially secure on the right, it's like it gradually keeps suctioning into my ear until the sound closes off entirely either from my ear canal closing or from the tip's bore hole closing (not sure which). But most of the time, even if I have only a moderate seal and moderate insertion depth, I get treble roll off (and only ever on the right side). I can manually push the face plate of the IEM forward (prying open my ear canal front to back) which gives me perfect clarity on that side, but obviously I can't just hold it there all the time. Dunno. It's a puzzle.

Happens with any one of the dozen or more tips I've collected now, including more unusual ones like double-flange tips. And it happens on both my longer nozzle IEM (though not as severely) and my short nozzle IEM.
These are graphic of frequency I heard when using samsung phone in this audiotion.
Ru6 connected to phone and headphone is the RR1 estat.
You can try.
Screenshot_20240502_143952_Adapt sound.png
Screenshot_20240502_144245_Adapt sound.png

Add Hd800s audition
Screenshot_20240502_145704_Adapt sound.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #3,274 of 3,352
Samsung phone can compensates FR for each ear after automatic check individual listening ability
Seems like a good way to check for hearing imbalances between ears, but I'm hesitant to use those measurements for EQ since you'd be doing so according to "equal volume," which in my experience never sounds quite right. But it does seem like a useful way to check for where and how one's hearing might fall away.

This depends heavily on the shape and length of the nozzle, but my favorites are Velvets, Baroque and Spiral Dots FX9, (the older ones). I have many many different tips to test with if problems. Also all Acoustune x07, x08, x70 and variants and copies of these are good to have handy
Totally. Was mostly just curious. I've tried all of these except for the Acoustunes. They're on my list now. Next up I've got the three different shapes of Comply foams coming.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #3,275 of 3,352
Does anyone know who makes the fiio hs19 kit ? I can’t imagine fiio made them and figure they must be sourced. I like the foam tips in it and the black and red silicone.

It’s leading me to discover others.
Not sure but some of them look like Acoustune AET07 and AET16... Some of the Acoustune tips I got with my OG Timeless are really good by the way, sound has more texture then a lot of well known tip brands which often sound plasticky (that includes that JVC Spiral Dots which are overrated IMO). I think it has to do with the stem material which is unusually thick. I have some old Fiio FA1 tips that look similar and that sound extremely good with the Timeless.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #3,277 of 3,352
Not sure but some of them look like Acoustune AET07 and AET16... Some of the Acoustune tips I got with my OG Timeless are really good by the way, sound has more texture then a lot of well known tip brands which often sound plasticky. I think it has to do with the stem material which is unusually thick. I have some old Fiio FA1 tips that look similar and that sound extremely good with the Timeless.
Yes! I didn’t want to get laughed at, but I love the sound of them. I haven’t found anything that fits and sounds as good.

May 3, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #3,280 of 3,352
With $5 for this tool, it is cheaper than grap a taxi to go doctor for checking.
My L ear appears not good as the R and listening about 9% less sensitive in comparision

1714737328521.jpg1714737544503.jpg20240503_181047.jpg
Might want to use spoiler for pics like these.

May 3, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #3,283 of 3,352
Do others of you find you need more gain/volume with foam tips? I can't tell if foam tips sound more muffled or if it's just a decrease in SPL compared to other tips. Kicking them up like 3-5dB seems to level out most of the perceived differences to other tip types, but I can't tell if that's just my ears falling for the "louder = clearer" trap.

May 3, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #3,284 of 3,352
Do others of you find you need more gain/volume with foam tips? I can't tell if foam tips sound more muffled or if it's just a decrease in SPL compared to other tips. Kicking them up like 3-5dB seems to level out most of the perceived differences to other tip types, but I can't tell if that's just my ears falling for the "louder = clearer" trap.
Foam tip for mids.
When need highs, silicon/rubber may be suitable.
I tend to crank up volume when lacking/reduction of highs and/or low.
Do you?

May 3, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #3,285 of 3,352
Foam tip for mids.
When need highs, silicon/rubber may be suitable.
I tend to crank up volume when lacking/reduction of highs and/or low.
Do you?
I guess that's why I was asking. For me, I can't quite tell if foam tips are damping only certain frequencies or if they are simply quieter across the entire spectrum (compared to silicone tips).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back