Best lossless compression format for a rockboxed iMod
Jan 6, 2008 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kuba

Head-Fier
I finally got my iMod after a three-weeks wait. I decided to rockbox it and after doing so, I'm not sure which compression format I should choose. Is every lossless format really lossless? If yes, what are the audible differences between the formats?

Please give me your reccomendations (also for a program which I could use for ripping my music). Thank you in advance.

P.S. I already gave it a listen with The Dark Side of the Moon (in Apple Lossless). Even in my native language (Polish) I can't find the right words to say how tremendously good it is, even without burn in. Ken, Vinnie: thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 24
Every lossless format is lossless, or else they are lossy.
Hence there are (or should be) no audible difference between them.

I recommend Max.
A great open-source CD ripper, which support all of the most popular codecs (Apple Lossless, FLAC, WavPack, MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, etc.).

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 24
Like krmathis said "every lossless format is lossless".

But I recommend you to use flac.
Flac is designed in a way that it consumes more resources for the process of encoding and less resources for the process of decoding.
This reduces player battery charge consumption.

In addition flac is open-source (free).

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 24
I agree. Lossless is lossless. I have found that the important thing is what software you use to rip the CD. Originally, I used Exact Audio Copy to do lossless rips, which was fantastic. Later I gave iTunes a try, which was horrible. Now I use dbPoweramp to rip to FLAC and I can then make copies in ALAC for my iPod and MP3 for my PSP (which does not currently support lossless formats).

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 24
Nice thread.

I have questions for the group. What kind of battery times are you guys with Rockbox on your iMod getting?

and

would a lossless rip be vastly differing when using EAC, MAX or iTunes applelossless setting. (also MAX seems to take 2 to 3 times as longer for me to rip a CD)

a nice supplemental read here

Radified Guide to Ripping & Encoding CD audio (with EAC & the LAME MP3 encoder)

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 10, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice thread.

I have questions for the group. What kind of battery times are you guys with Rockbox on your iMod getting?

and

would a lossless rip be vastly differing when using EAC, MAX or iTunes applelossless setting. (also MAX seems to take 2 to 3 times as longer for me to rip a CD)

Kb

Oh, only about 5 hours. Blah. And I think EAC is best for quality and probably speed. Just my opinion after using some others with jitter correction.

Oh, and with the Japanese release of DSOTM, it is beastly. I use FLAC. The vCap dock really makes this soundtrack for me. I listened to it for two hours with a group of friends once on some fair speakers (with the wizard of the oz sync on the big HD).

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 24
Funny thing is, i don't really find myself in many situations that have me on my transportable rig for more than 4 hours in a stretch. So i couldn't say what the total run time on my iMod is. As for rockbox on it, it does seem to suck more power then the regular firmware though. Guess it's time to splice a dock connector end to my old battery rig for the old M3 of mine. 40,000 mAh of battry power.
smily_headphones1.gif
Got me across the continental US. Amp ran out first though.
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 24
I love APE followed by FLAC. Since Rockbox can't play APE, I use FLAC.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 24
There's been some work being done that over the last couple of weeks that should improve Rockbox battery life on the iPod 5G. These improvements are not available yet in the official distributions but I expect that they will be soon.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's been some work being done that over the last couple of weeks that should improve Rockbox battery life on the iPod 5G. These improvements are not available yet in the official distributions but I expect that they will be soon.

AMEN!!!

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great news!
Cause last time I tried Rockbox on my 5G iPod it lasted only half the time compared to the original firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back