Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Dec 20, 2007 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,278

dBel84

Cavalli Tinkerer at large
I know there are a ton of DIY amps already on offer but thought some of you may be interested in this one too.

runeight has released his Bijou and many of us have already seen vixr's fine workmanship
1. 2. in the 'post pics of your build' thread. The official Bijou support thread and group buy for boards is over at Headwize but so many of "cross pollinate" that I thought it usefull to have a thread here too.

Further information regarding the details of the amp is available at runeight's web site, Cavalli Audio.

I can tell you from personal experience that this amp rocks and well worth consideration..dB

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 4,278
Thanks for the information! I've left a msg in the GB thread.
I had kind of lost track of the Bijou recently, so thank you!

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 4,278
I registered at Headwize a long time ago, but can't contact CMOY, to reactivate my account which lapsed. I'm trying to get in on the group buy for the 3 board set. thanks
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there are a ton of DIY amps already on offer but thought some of you may be interested in this one too.

runeight has released his Bijou and many of us have already seen vixr's fine workmanship
1. 2. in the 'post pics of your build' thread. The official Bijou support thread and group buy for boards is over at Headwize but so many of "cross pollinate" that I thought it usefull to have a thread here too.

Further information regarding the details of the amp is available at runeight's web site, Cavalli Audio.

I can tell you from personal experience that this amp rocks and well worth consideration..dB

Dec 21, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 4,278
The Bijou looks like a great amp, but i already have so many amps to build . . . .

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 4,278
I have lost count how many I have built, the trick is to give them away so that there is not an ever growing pile to remind you that's it's time to stop.
wink.gif

The Bijou I have built is for a friend, and I rue the day that I have to box it up. I will at least know that it will bring a smile into his life. His request for me to build him an amp, coincided with the early rumblings of the Bijou pcb prototype and I knew that it was going to be first rate.

After living with it for the past few weeks, I know that I will have to build one for myself..dB

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bijou looks like a great amp, but i already have so many amps to build . . . .

Yikes! Me, too. I sat down and figured out where this one would sit in line, should I build everything that I have boards for. It looks like if I take a mere 1 to 2 months per project (an incredible pace for me, likely not even possible) I could start the Bijou in February...2009...

I guess the reason I keep buying boards is because it's often difficult to tell if they will be available in the future. If I knew they would be, I could easily hold off and just "put it on the list". But without that information, I just keep buying. I suppose I could just continue my trend and sell off the boards that I've changed my mind on; The price of them really doesn't depreciate!

The one thing that makes this one even more enticing is that it could be available from Glass Jar Audio. Sourcing parts always eats up so much time for me, what with discussions about swapping caps, and parts options in general. Having a box of parts and boards would be quite a relief!

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 4,278
There's no estimated cost for the group buy boards? I suppose it probably won't be expensive . . .

Being a member of Team Cheap Bastards, I cringe at the thought of spending $200+ building the thing. Even though i know i probably wouldn't regret it.

The other problem for me is enclosures. I've got a few completed amps waiting for enclosures at the moment.

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 4,278
I should join your cheap bastards team as I must be one of the cheapest bastards out there
biggrin.gif
. I have yet to buy a commercial chassis, but then I don't own the masterpieces that the likes of AMB / Steinchen / Ferrari etc own. ( Vixr is excluded as he has "his own" mill and workshop = Team Lucky bastards
tongue.gif
)

A set of 3 boards will set you back $21 = 1 psu + 2 channels.

I can't comment on the cost of the kits as jeffr threw together a few proto kits at a very reasonable cost ( I could never have put it together for the same cost even excluding shipping - still don't know how he does it but he has a heart of gold ). The transformer alone will set you back about $70 with shipping, Angela has the best prices by far..dB

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no estimated cost for the group buy boards? I suppose it probably won't be expensive . . .

Being a member of Team Cheap Bastards, I cringe at the thought of spending $200+ building the thing. Even though i know i probably wouldn't regret it.

The other problem for me is enclosures. I've got a few completed amps waiting for enclosures at the moment.

Included in this offer are 2 amp boards and 1 power supply board. $21

The info is in the marketplace subforum on headwize.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 4,278
21 dollars. I have to get some just because they are so cheap. I have got to stop building amps.

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Included in this offer are 2 amp boards and 1 power supply board. $21

The info is in the marketplace subforum on headwize.
biggrin.gif

Ahh. In the metadata rather than the text of jrossel's post.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 4,278
Sounds like I'm in the same boat as a few others. I'm a few amps and several enclosures behind, not to mention some speaker rig gear and 7-8 old radios.

But I will order boards and parts. You never know when stuff will become unavailable, so it's best to buy and box it away.

As for enclosures, I've been repurposing stuff found at swapmeets and junk stores. Anything can be painted to match and combined with other stuff. You have to be creative; I just figured out how to make solid state amp enclosures from some random heatsinks off eBay, offcuts of aluminum plates I found and some Hammond enclosures. The trick is not to put everything in one box, but instead use several bolted to the top and bottom of an aluminum plate. That lets you use a lot of boxes and parts that you couldn't otherwise and with great shielding, as well. I'll mix up the paint between flat black and black wrinkle paint to add interest. Not a traditional look, but it works. Hopefully, I can get a few of these done and pics up in January.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The transformer alone will set you back about $70 with shipping, Angela has the best prices by far..dB

What trafo does it use? I'm assuming a Hammond has been spec'd for availability's sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back