Bit Perfect Audio from Linux
Feb 25, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #541 of 546
I have not found anything that can play SACD ISOs on Linux. Can anyone recommend a good player comparable to Foobar2000?
Sorry late to the party, don't if it has been answered: JRiver Linux

May 1, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #544 of 546
I updated the AUR repository. There are still some problems with it, as the upstream is almost 1 year old, but I tried to fix it.
DVDA ISO playback temporarily disabled. (I have no idea which dependency it requires)

May 12, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #545 of 546
Guys any app other than DeadBeef player which plays bit perfect audio in Linux, got fed up with DeadBeef as it doesn't provide any library feature for browsing my music, tried Rhythmbox and Clementine both resamples the audio so can't use it.
Quodlibet would be the desktop app I recommend. LMS would be the full on music server program I would recommend.

May 12, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #546 of 546
My first post offered some tools to narrow down issues with the audio path. If I use both pulse audio and ALSA, I want to make sure my music player uses ALSA and doesn't mix the sound. For me, this is my only concern.

In your post #498 you are asking for proof that Linux offers bit-perfect sound. The question suggests that Linux isn't capable of outputting bit-perfect audio.
While I can't proof or disproof bit-perfect audio under Linux, at least not right now, I suggest to look at what vendors of top end audiophile music players are selling you: essentially Linux boxes.

I didn't do an all inclusive survey, but have a look at aurender, Lumin, Music Fidelity, Naim, and probably more. There are exceptions too: Taiko Audio Extreme runs a Custom Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC OS.

With music server vendors that run Linux, you have to look for the small print to identify them as Linux servers. I guess Linux still carries the stigma of a nerd OS.

I hope you accept this indirect answer. It's not a proof (perhaps someone else can proof it). My other post may help narrow down issues with your Linux audio configuration.
I think he's missing the point in a big way, and I think y'all are wasting your time trying to talk sense into this guy. He essentially think that "bit perfect" audio is some esoteric, mythical thing... it's not. It's very simple. Does it output digital audio at the original sample rate without conversion or EQ? If yes, then congrats you've got bit perfect audio. That is exactly what happens when you output to an ALSA hardware. Want proof? Well, that's what it was designed to do and it's not broken... so there you have it, bit perfect audio. Don't believe me? Go read the source code and see exactly what it's doing.

End of discussion. If that's the designed behavior, burden of proof is on him to prove that is not what it's doing.

Dude's just making his life way more complicated than it needs to be in order to feel special, and y'all are playing right into that.

I'm sure I'm about to be insulted, I'm ready. Let's go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back