Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
May 5, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #2,161 of 2,283
Interesting. Which mullard did you choose?
I am using Mullard 12au7 10m and the sound is just another league compared to any other 12au7 I've ever tried. I don't know how they would compare to e80cc's.
I still can't understand how these tubes work in the circuit, given the v and amps.

One last thing. I have seen somewhere is, that if you couldn't hit 9 o'clock your source was too hot. I am using a denafrips pontus 2 as a DAC and it's not a particularly hot DAC.
Curiously, with my caldera (mid impedance setting) on the XLR, I can go 11 o'clock, sometimes even 12 if I go bananas with the song. However with atrium open and 300ohm I am most of the time at 8-9 max, which is a quarter of the total volume, single ended. Looks like this amp has power to spare. But I am concerned with feeding it with a hot signal.
With the Beyern 1990pro at 250ohm (which by the way they sound like never imagined on the ha3a) I can to 10-11 o'clock too single ended.
Tried the AO with XLR and it's the same as se. So at my amp, it seems not to be much difference between se and XLR output.
Waiting for the AC I ordered with a 4.4mm ofc balanced to see if the output is lower.

At this moment I don't know. I don't feel like adding any volume attenuator or preamp. Not going to add a volume pot in the chain.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Edit: btw what power tubes do you prefer? 6v6 or 6v6gt? Vintage vs most modern version? The information I'm getting is mixed. Some says 6v6 tighter bass, others say otherwise. Some say 6v6 more vintage open sound with relaxed highs and more textured but less punchy bass, others say otherwise.
I can't seem to find a reliable source of information regarding that topic. Unless it's brand specific and each of them have different sound signatures.
At the moment I've got Mullard 6v6g yellow arrow st shaped, Mullard 6v6gt t shaped, and Mazda 6v6gt. I didn't expend too much of time with each of them to appreciate much difference.

Any thoughts too?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text.

Love ya 😘 happy 🎧 😁 💡🔥
I have the best version of Mullard 12AU7s, and the E80CC I was talking about above is also Mullard.
I don't know, if there is a generic difference between 6V6 and 6V6GT tubes, but the Bendix 6V6GTY tubes are the best I tried so far.
I don't have much experience with volume attenuators or preamps, so can't comment on that, but I am sure others will advise you.

May 5, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #2,162 of 2,283
Team BENDIX & E80CC:
IMG_2590.jpeg

:thumbsup:

May 5, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #2,163 of 2,283
I think, my E80CCs are properly burned in now. I have to say, these are a straight improvement and elevate the amp to next level performance. Initially I found them a little aggressive and brighter, but luckily after burn in the sound got fuller and the edges smoother. With these Mullard E80CCs the 3A sounds way more dynamic than with any 12AU7s I tried. It is a bigger, bolder sound with larger space, more contrast, detail and dynamic precision. The only downside is that you have even less room to adjust the volume knob.
Betula

Thanks for your assessment
Glad you are enjoying the E80cc's!

Agree with your comments and reason its hard for me to committ to purchasing more 12AU7's.
Almost pulled the trigger on a set of G73r Telefunken's, but at the end of the day without trying them was Leary of spending that much and possibly find out it did NOT give me anything more, or was less than the E80cc's. Was only curious as many call the G73r's the Holy Grail for 12AU7, and was wondering if the pairing with the 5992's (what many call the Holy Grail for 6V6) would sound like, but again don't want to spend that much to find out its NOT as good as the E80cc combo. Will probably wait until I can borrow some for a test, till then pretty much running the E80cc's
Talking with some on the other forums who have moved to the HA-6A, finding the E80cc's has more change on the HA-3A than the HA-6A, so I'm enjoying for me (right now and IMO) what is a great sweet spot of cost to sound improvement on the HA-3A.

I'm finding for volume, I'm between the 9 o'clock to just before 11 o'clock comfortably depending on headphone or IEM used via the 4.4mm jack.
I find this has been more than enough adjustment for my purposes.
The 4Pin XLR was definitely a little less adjustable, and the SE 6.5 output to me restricted the soundstage, so sticking with the 4.4mm jack for now. Yes I know there are some resistors in line that could mess with sound quality/purity, but TBH I have not heard it on my system.

As mentioned previously I do have other brands of E80cc's and the sound does change slightly, but it is pretty much personal taste, and is dependent on source and what is in the rest of the audio chain that will affect this. From memory of your previous posts, and your signature, we share many of the same items in our sound chain, so perhaps when you find some deals on other brands, you might want to give them a try.

Again thanks for sharing, and ENJOY the setup.

May 5, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #2,164 of 2,283
Betula

Thanks for your assessment
Glad you are enjoying the E80cc's!

Agree with your comments and reason its hard for me to committ to purchasing more 12AU7's.
Almost pulled the trigger on a set of G73r Telefunken's, but at the end of the day without trying them was Leary of spending that much and possibly find out it did NOT give me anything more, or was less than the E80cc's. Was only curious as many call the G73r's the Holy Grail for 12AU7, and was wondering if the pairing with the 5992's (what many call the Holy Grail for 6V6) would sound like, but again don't want to spend that much to find out its NOT as good as the E80cc combo. Will probably wait until I can borrow some for a test, till then pretty much running the E80cc's
Talking with some on the other forums who have moved to the HA-6A, finding the E80cc's has more change on the HA-3A than the HA-6A, so I'm enjoying for me (right now and IMO) what is a great sweet spot of cost to sound improvement on the HA-3A.

I'm finding for volume, I'm between the 9 o'clock to just before 11 o'clock comfortably depending on headphone or IEM used via the 4.4mm jack.
I find this has been more than enough adjustment for my purposes.
The 4Pin XLR was definitely a little less adjustable, and the SE 6.5 output to me restricted the soundstage, so sticking with the 4.4mm jack for now. Yes I know there are some resistors in line that could mess with sound quality/purity, but TBH I have not heard it on my system.

As mentioned previously I do have other brands of E80cc's and the sound does change slightly, but it is pretty much personal taste, and is dependent on source and what is in the rest of the audio chain that will affect this. From memory of your previous posts, and your signature, we share many of the same items in our sound chain, so perhaps when you find some deals on other brands, you might want to give them a try.

Again thanks for sharing, and ENJOY the setup.
Thanks! Yes, I have intention to try other tubes as well, a bit later. Tube rolling never ends, but this is a pretty happy place right now. :)
I have read a few times, that the difference between E80CC brands is less than the difference between 12AU7 brands. Perhaps someone with more experience could confirm this. Regarding which headphone output to use, I think that is very much audio chain and headphone dependent.

May 5, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #2,166 of 2,283
Hi Dexterama, the more I research this amp, the more it looks like a good value. Did your amp come with the protective cage?
Every unit comes with the Faraday cage and it does actually help with outside interference.

May 5, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #2,168 of 2,283
Thanks, TheAbyss2022. What exactly do you mean when you say outside interference?
Electrostatic and electromagnetic potential interference such as a mobile phone sitting next to the amplifier.

May 5, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #2,170 of 2,283
Thank you. So, other than other DACS/AMPS, no electronics? Zach mentions in his review plugging the amp into its own outlet. Has this been your experience?
Most tube amplifiers will have some level of background noise depending on the tubes you get or if you have ground loop issues etc., I had some background noise when I first got the amplifier but I got the iFi GND Defender which solves that issue.

May 5, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #2,172 of 2,283
Are you plugged into a surge protector or straight into the wall outlet?
I live in a recent building with modern, quality wiring and tight outlets. I plug the entire system on the same duplex outlet, the amp on one plug, the rest on the other. I use a shielded AC cable on the amp and plan to put another on my DAC. The amp is dead silent until i crank the volume to 3:30-4:00, enough to destroy ones eardrums with efficients headphones like those i use. This is a very nice amp:)

May 5, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #2,173 of 2,283
I live in a recent building with modern, quality wiring and tight outlets. I plug the entire system on the same duplex outlet, the amp on one plug, the rest on the other. I use a shielded AC cable on the amp and plan to put another on my DAC. The amp is dead silent until i crank the volume to 3:30-4:00, enough to destroy ones eardrums with efficients headphones like those i use. This is a very nice amp:)
Thanks, Hickory Deadglove. A duplex outlet is akin to a surge protector? Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back