Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
May 15, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #2,941 of 2,949
before I upgrade to 1.5 firmware, i would like if those who did the upgrade noticed any new problem or sonic signature change ? thanks...

May 15, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #2,942 of 2,949
before I upgrade to 1.5 firmware, i would like if those who did the upgrade noticed any new problem or sonic signature change ? thanks...
There is always this question of whether the sound has also been changed with the new firmware. Please, don't ask that anymore 🙏🏻

The answer is and always will be, unless Cayin says otherwise: no!

May 16, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #2,943 of 2,949
There is always this question of whether the sound has also been changed with the new firmware. Please, don't ask that anymore 🙏🏻

The answer is and always will be, unless Cayin says otherwise: no!

Firstly, you can roll back firmware to the previous version, so if you don't like a particular version of firmware for whatever reason, you can roll back to the previous firmware.

We had a very lengthy debate regarding whether firmware will change the sound signature of the N30LE. We have clarified many times that Cayin doesn’t adjust the sound signature through a firmware update, we have been very particular about this practice since the original N6 DAP and we have explained our position in previous product discussions (HERE, HERE). We prefer fine-tuning the sound signature of our product through circuit design, choice of components, and adjustment of circuit operation parameters, this is our strength and the basic building block of the Cayin house sound. So if you are asking for Cayin's official position, then it will always be our answer, so there is no point in asking Cayin again. We respect the user's subjective listening experience and will always be prepared to serve as a facilitator.

Regarding v1.5, we added an alternative EQ option, the feature won't kick in unless you enable it in the new PEQ user interface, we didn't change anything audio algorithm or DAC setting, I can't see any reason that the firmware will change the sound signature.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 16, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #2,944 of 2,949
Firstly, you can roll back firmware to the previous version, so if you don't like a particular version of firmware for whatever reason, you can roll back to the previous firmware.

We had a very lengthy debate regarding whether firmware will change the sound signature of the N30LE. We have clarified many times that Cayin doesn’t adjust the sound signature through a firmware update, we have been very particular about this practice since the original N6 DAP and we have explained our position in previous product discussions (HERE, HERE). We prefer fine-tuning the sound signature of our product through circuit design, choice of components, and adjustment of circuit operation parameters, this is our strength and the basic building block of the Cayin house sound. So if you are asking for Cayin's official position, then it will always be our answer, so there is no point in asking Cayin again. We respect the user's subjective listening experience and will always be prepared to serve as a facilitator.

Regarding v1.5, we added an alternative EQ option, the feature won't kick in unless you enable it in the new PEQ user interface, we didn't change anything audio algorithm or DAC setting, I can't see any reason that the firmware will change the sound signature.
Your answers are always so politically correct, you are a great one, kudos for that 👍🏻

May 16, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #2,945 of 2,949
For Sus def to weak.
I was also intersted in Sus and dug deep into the rabbit hole but managed to climb up because i figured out that i need at least a 10k desktop amp to drive them properly.

I then switched tracks and picked up Utopia. I am driving the Utopia from a Feliks Euforia AE with NOS Tubes which also may be the best amp for ZMF HP excluding Caldera.

Nevertheless, traveling with my desktop gear is out of question. A semi portable solution would be highly appreciated. A all in one desktop DAP, with the SQ performance of N30 or above and a little bit more powerful.

Back to N30.
I am still on FW 1.2 and have noticed since couple of days that i have a 100% consistent listening experience when i begin listening in SS Mode for 5 min, then engage Classic Tube, then after 5 min P+ and Hyper Mode.
Before shutdown, i go back in SS Mode.

Maybe it is just placebo because other circumstance have changed, but i thought it is worth sharing.
Maybe Lotoo mjolnir ?
I know is semi portable and I remember it had enough power but I am not sure about that
I remember I loved the sound but then I never listened to N30 N8ii sounded beautiful

May 18, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #2,946 of 2,949
@Andykong

Perhaps you have a solution to my problem.

I love the N30 so much that I don't want to do without it for gaming with the Playstation 5. Is there any satisfactory solution to connect the N30 to the Playstation 5? Unfortunately, the N30 is not UAC 1.0 compatible. Are there any alternatives if you think about the connections of the N30? I'm afraid not, but maybe I'm missing something.

May 18, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #2,947 of 2,949
@Andykong

Perhaps you have a solution to my problem.

I love the N30 so much that I don't want to do without it for gaming with the Playstation 5. Is there any satisfactory solution to connect the N30 to the Playstation 5? Unfortunately, the N30 is not UAC 1.0 compatible. Are there any alternatives if you think about the connections of the N30? I'm afraid not, but maybe I'm missing something.
Did you try USB in?
Or HDMI ARC via HDMI-C?

I don't have a N30LE, but those are the things I'd try

May 18, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,949 of 2,949
USB In does not work because the N30 is not UAC 1.0 compatible / the Playstation (xbox and Switch) do not support UAC 2.0.

What do you mean? How is that supposed to be connected?
I have been thinking about that HDMI topic too.
The problem is about the supported standard protocols and the involved Latency.
There are hardly any DAPs supporting UAC1 so N30LE isn't exotic in these regards.
N30LE features a mini HDMI port but that one is supposed to be used only for I2S streaming to a connected DAC (I've tested that for example successfully with Holo Spring 3 KTE) and not vice versa.

The only way I can imagine is some bridge device like HDMI video - audio splitters which then have to support USB UAC 2 connections.
Not sure these exist and if that ll be a mismatch of price and use case I suppose 😉

Another way I have thought about is Bluetooth receiver function (never tried this with N30LE so not sure that will work at all).
Have read though that PS5 isn't supporting external Bluetooth audio devices.
So then maybe only the TV / soundbar (some Sony Soundbars support transmitter mode) could send some Bluetooth signal to an external receiver device...
I have successfully used such Bluetooth movie streaming setups years ago for example with Shanling M8 DAP or Qdelix 5k before switching to AppleTV and Airpod Max 😉
Uncertain about Latency again in that Bluetooth scenario

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back