DC Meet: Pictures and comments
Aug 25, 2002 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
The main table contained tube gear. Sources included an Ariston RD11s turntable into Adcom GFP-565 preamp, and Sony 9000ES

meet1.jpg

The second table contained solid state gear. Sony NS500V with Grado RA-1, Grado HPA-1, and, thanks to Headroom’s educational loaner program, the Headroom Maxed Out Home with premium module, and Headroom Max with stepped attenuators. A Cosmic was also present, although not in the pictures.

max.jpg

Behind the Headroom amps, the AudioValve RKV driven by Kenwood player:

rkv.jpg

The MicroZOTL, driven by Rotel 955- Monarchy DIP - GW Labs DSP – ART DI/O. Source on bottom is Apex AD600A. Note the Sony DVD player at the right…

berning.jpg

Another view of the main table, showing the Melos, and backs of the X-Can, along with Moretto HAP-03. The small device on top of the Melos is the Radii Audio HAP-04, which will allow the HAP-03 to play low impedance loads. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the adapter to use it L

meet2.jpg

A rear view of the vintage Fisher receiver brought by mkmelt. Not only were we able to listen to headphones using the jack on this receiver, but we were also able to hook the AKG K-1000 to the speaker outputs for some of the sweetest sounds of the day.

fisher.jpg

A front view of the Fisher. In front is a Radii Audio HAP-02 preamp. The headphone output on this preamp is very good indeed! Between them, so small it’s looking lost, is the EarMax Pro.

earmax.jpg

Hirsch, Driftwood, Steve999, dcg, and mkmelt (seated). Not pictured: Harv and Dusty Chalk

group.jpg

I'll leave identification of all the headphones in the pictures to the experts here....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 32
Dear Head-fellows !!

It was a hell of a show !!Congratulations !!

Hirsch, what the stock power cable delivered from the factory with micro-ZOTL? Is this the one in the pic?

Id of pic not fair !! Please...

Best from

Ari

Aug 25, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Lots of fine gear, Hirsch. I know you guys had a great time. Thanks for posting the pics and I can't wait to read the comments.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sure !! Thanks for the pics !! Can't wait also for the comments !!

Ari

Aug 25, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 32
OMG
Look at all that gear, it makes my head spin! It must have taken a couple hours just to assemble and switch cables on all this stuff,
you guys are sick...........no doubt!

Hey where are the alcoholic beverages?

I can tell Dusty was there by the Halou CD, heh,heh.

Aug 25, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
OMG
Look at all that gear, it makes my head spin! It must have taken a couple hours just to assemble and switch cables on all this stuff,

It took about four hours to put everything back and rewire my setups.
tongue.gif
The problem IMO was auditory overload. With that much present there was simply too much to listen to.

Important Note: You heard it here first: We were able to get very good deep bass using the AKG K-501. Amazing. I tried for weeks to get that, and couldn't. But I've got to admit it's there in the 501 somewhere...

Aug 25, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 32
Hirsch,
Heck with the 501, did you find an amp that was more satisfying for you with the R10 bass-wise? I know you had some mis-givings. Did you try the EMP? Did that help? How was it with the Max with stepped attenuator?

Can't wait for the group's comments, that's an amazing collection of gear! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

markl

Aug 25, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 32
Damn, that Fisher is clean! It looks new!

Looks like you guys had a great time. It is nice to see these get togethers happening all over the place.

Aug 25, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 32
Looks,like you guys had lots of fun.You are all my kinds of guys.You had a turntable and and a vintage Fisher.That Fisher is indeed clean.I'm glad to see you guys got to enjoy the wonerful sounds the Fisher can make.The headphone Jack on this receiver is awesome and with a few mods it sounds world class.I don't want to tout those too much because this will only help drive prices up again.

If you guys don't mind,would you please offer some sonic impressions of the gear.Specifically the Fisher and the HD600 with the Equinox.maybe even the the RKV and the Hd600.The Chicago guys are gonna have to do a meet soon(before the snow falls) cause all you other guys are making us look bad.

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 32
EMP vs. Moretto

Fischer vs. Head amps

Did you attempt the K1000s with the Zotl?

What a great gathering!

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Yup. Quote:

Hey where are the alcoholic beverages?

Ah, we were intoxicated by fine tunes and the comeraderie of fellow compatriates, no need for chemical excess...besides, with all the money we've spent on gear, can't afford other addictions (at least, not until the economy turns around). Quote:

I can tell Dusty was there by the Halou CD, heh,heh.

Good eye.

Yes, I was there, and I had a blast. I want to thank everyone for coming. It really is the only time for me to share everything (equipment, thoughts, etc.) with other living, breathing, human beings. I picture most of you over the net as your avatars (which would make MacDEF a seizure).

I definitely got an overload. OMG, I have too many phones, and I want more. I am definitely getting the K1000's that are on special at headroom, they are the first headphones (technically: earspeakers) that I have ever heard that actually have a soundstage. And I would love to get a pair of the K501's, they really sound good straight out of the Kenwood RD-VH7. I don't know where anyone gets off saying they don't have bass. It is definitely there. It's sort of like the Sennheiser HD600, in that it needs proper amplification, but it's definitely there. I think the two are comparable. Neither are like the DT770 and the CD3K, but they're quite good if you have a headache and you don't want to be overwhelmed. I had my own personal "bass-off" of the CD3K vs. the DT770, and I have to admit, I'm not sure which has the better bass, they are both quite good. Kelly, you may want to look at this phone, too.

I really dug that Fisher, too.

I was already familiar with most of the equipment that was there, so the most of the time was spent with the K1000's, the K501's, some time with the R10's, and...actually, I really like those MDR-F1's -- good bass for an open phone.

Hirsch! I can't believe you didn't get any shots of the "mystery phone"! I'll have to bring it over, again.

Tuberoller -- I don't think anyone tried the StefanArt Equinox with the Fisher.

I own both the StefanArt Equinox and the RKV, but the latter is unplugged right now, so I can't give you my impressions on the combination. I didn't try it at the meet because...well, it was mine.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can listen to those any time...I tried to concentrate on listening to "stuff that was not mine".

But my room is in the middle of re-arranging, so that will have to wait. (I have all three cables, though only the Clou blue, so will compare all three at some point.)

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
Hirsch, what the stock power cable delivered from the factory with micro-ZOTL? Is this the one in the pic?

Uh, no, that's not the stock cable, it's an upgrade cable, and no, it's not fair.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 32
How about the RS-1/RA-1 VS. HP-1/HPA-1? Just curious for an unbiast opinion of those two . . . or a description of each's abilities- as in what and what they don't excel in . . . Thanks!

Also waiting for any other thoughts on whatever you listened to at the meeting!

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
EMP vs. Moretto

Not really a fair comparison, since the EMP was designed for low impedance phones, and the Moretto HAP-03 was not. They're both cute, though! Quote:

Fischer vs. Head amps

The Fischer certainly held its own. The only headphone I didn't like out of it was the R10. Quote:

Did you attempt the K1000s with the Zotl?

Hirsch said the MicroZOTL was probably too low-powered for the K1000, so I took his word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back