• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #46 of 92
My RPi is bit different as it has a DAC Hat that outputs balanced...

IMG_7954.JPG

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #47 of 92
Yep I have to fetch them as well, I wish it'd keep it all on local storage or that there was an option to do so. My Mercury V2 runs a compute module 4, works great. Looks like your pi is a full setup! Very nice, mine is just DDC.

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #48 of 92
Do you have place for one more person? I used to have modest rig what sound barely adequate. It was getting worst for last week until yesterday I accidentally connect another laptop. Difference was stunning -day and night. I would like to compare it to pretty good systems stuff I got.
I can bring ADI dac, HD800 original, Bathys and HE6V2 by request. Amp is pass ACP+ (Amp Camp Pre-Amp + Headphone Amp). I got another gear if you interested to hear -ask.
Vlad

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #49 of 92
Do you have place for one more person? I used to have modest rig what sound barely adequate. It was getting worst for last week until yesterday I accidentally connect another laptop. Difference was stunning -day and night. I would like to compare it to pretty good systems stuff I got.
I can bring ADI dac, HD800 original, Bathys and HE6V2 by request. Amp is pass ACP+ (Amp Camp Pre-Amp + Headphone Amp). I got another gear if you interested to hear -ask.
Vlad
Of course we have room for more! It's too late to add you to the list for loading bay access, but only a couple people are doing that anyway. Just carry your gear from your car to the building, or someone can meet you outside on the street to grab it from you.

Please PM me with your cell and I can provide mine in response so you can call for me to let you into the building when you arrive.

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #50 of 92
Really looking forward to our meet in a couple days!

FYI, my 8-year-old daughter insists she wants to attend. I warned her she'll be bored out of her mind, but she hasn't backed down yet. And I don't want to discourage the interest if it's legit. So, she may attend. I'll park her in front of her laptop in another room, or have my wife come get her, if she becomes a distraction.

Also, there's a great Vietnamese restaurant a short walk away. I may or may not grab dinner there after the meet. If I do, you're all welcome to join!

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #51 of 92

FYI, my 8-year-old daughter insists she wants to attend. I warned her she'll be bored out of her mind, but she hasn't backed down yet. And I don't want to discourage the interest if it's legit. So, she may attend. I'll park her in front of her laptop in another room, or have my wife come get her, if she becomes a distraction.

Also, there's a great Vietnamese restaurant a short walk away. I may or may not grab dinner there after the meet. If I do, you're all welcome to join!
I’d be up for dinner! also I’ll be bringing my Atriums. Forgot to mention haha

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #52 of 92
It's Thursday Afternoon! Two days to the big event :)

Have decided to also bring my LD MK9 and ZMF Aeolus cans. The MK9 is one of those "sleeper" amps. Sounds great but nobody bought it. I have the "Holy Grail" of 6SL7's for it as well.
The Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY brown base that was made long ago. I think the MK9 is seriously under appreciated.

You lucky dogs will get to audition it :)

So I will have a fully balanced RPi / SS amp and an old school SE tube rig.

~~JV~~

Nov 9, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #53 of 92

Count me in

Nov 9, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #56 of 92
She's awesome, and I can't stay the whole time. I'm happy to give her a ride if needed. I will try to swear less.
Oh, forgot to mention, our new member / attendee here is my daughter's 3rd grade teacher. :) (He also attended the last meet!)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #57 of 92
What hat do you use? I wasn't going to bring my pi (boss and kali/piano), but if I can make time to create a mobile library, I shall. Also, I plan to ask you all why you're all so excited about balanced, so come prepared.

Mine is a HiFiBerry Dac Plus Pro (the "Pro" part is the Balanced out).

Nothing wrong with single ended. But I do know balanced keeps the noise levels lower than single ended and probably why you tend to hear a bit more detail on a balanced system.

I did some work for a community FM Radio Station that was having troubles with sound quality. They had a mix of balanced and single ended in the audio chain. Changing all to balanced really upped the sound quality for them. Balanced pushed the noise levels way down. Audio quality was much better over the air. They did have some longer cable runs. Short runs like desktop headphone setups, balanced is far less of a benefit.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #58 of 92
Well said, that and topology matters. Some gear is built around balanced operation for best performance which skews results when testing SE. In a desktop environment, apples to apples (hard to do with varying implementations) there's not much of a difference. Long runs can change things.

Nov 9, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #59 of 92
Okay, I'm coming down the hill and grabbing my nephew, and maybe my son (both are enthusiasts!!), having a killer brunch and then we'll be coming by. I'm going to grab a backpack and load up some of my headphones. I won't be bringing any electronics so I'm hoping it's cool and there'll be some gear to plug in to.
I'm trying to think of what folks might want to hear. So, I'm thinking I'll bring my Verite Opens, HE1000's, Heddphone I, LCD-X's, and Clears. Take a look at my signature box and let me know if there is anything else you would like to hear and I'll gladly bring 'em.
Can't wait to get together with others that share the joy...
Tim

Nov 10, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #60 of 92
Okay, I'm coming down the hill and grabbing my nephew, and maybe my son (both are enthusiasts!!), having a killer brunch and then we'll be coming by. I'm going to grab a backpack and load up some of my headphones. I won't be bringing any electronics so I'm hoping it's cool and there'll be some gear to plug in to.
I'm trying to think of what folks might want to hear. So, I'm thinking I'll bring my Verite Opens, HE1000's, Heddphone I, LCD-X's, and Clears. Take a look at my signature box and let me know if there is anything else you would like to hear and I'll gladly bring 'em.
Can't wait to get together with others that share the joy...
Tim
I've never heard a Grado but am very curious to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back