Erzetich Charybdis
May 3, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #241 of 264
my point is the envy to my ears sounds better on the mid or high gain and with the charybdis I can only use it on low gain
I see thanks for clarifying. An attenuation cable might be worth trying out in that case

May 3, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #242 of 264
A local dealer here has these on nice price and all the impressions/reviews I have read is making me itchy to get one.

I only have portable stuff to use this with (Ibasso PB5+N7 and Shanling H7) for now, and it seems these cans are highly efficient so these amps should play them well?

May 3, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #243 of 264
A local dealer here has these on nice price and all the impressions/reviews I have read is making me itchy to get one.

I only have portable stuff to use this with (Ibasso PB5+N7 and Shanling H7) for now, and it seems these cans are highly efficient so these amps should play them well?
The portable amps will power them just fine, but I wouldn't consider those headphones great as portable headphones if you intend to go around with them

May 3, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #244 of 264

I use my N3 Ultra Dap with them in Tube mode PGGB @768KHz 24bit. The best portable sound I have ever heard, but I wouldn't go outdoors wearing the Charybdis though lol.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #245 of 264
I agree, I initially bought them combined with wooaudio wa8 portable dac amp for my weekly travel to use in the hotel room. But their design doesn't lend itself to easy moving around , so now I have them assigned to home desktop setup only. Sound was great with that portable setup too, but it scales well with desktop quality dac amps.

May 3, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #246 of 264
You guys correct, I wasn't planning on moving around with them outside for sure given the weight!

But I like not being glued to a place to listen to music, just moving a bit around the house or balcony that's it :)

Quick question @ThanatosVI , I have a DCA E3 right now, how does these compare to them incase you have listened to E3 also :)

May 3, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #247 of 264
You guys correct, I wasn't planning on moving around with them outside for sure given the weight!

But I like not being glued to a place to listen to music, just moving a bit around the house or balcony that's it :)

Quick question @ThanatosVI , I have a DCA E3 right now, how does these compare to them incase you have listened to E3 also :)
I heard both, but under Show conditions with a few hours in between, therefore I'm not confident in a detailed comparison

I believe the Charybdis was more spacious with better extended treble and the E3 had stronger Bass, but please take that with a huge grain of salt

May 3, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #248 of 264
the charybdis surely is not a portable HP lol

May 7, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #250 of 264
I agree, it is better than all to me other than the susvara and abyss 1266 in the planar world...to me they are in the class of a caldera with a bigger soundstage...to me a fair bit better than the utopia 22..lcd-5 and expanse and stealth...the RAAL offerings are ribbons and different so I wont compare them

May 8, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #251 of 264
Competes if not betters in some areas to the Susvara according to well known Headphone reviewers on the net. I can't comment as I have never listened to the Susvara, but I purchased the Charybdis new with a great deal that worked out at nearly a third of the price of the Susvara.

May 8, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #252 of 264
I have both, the charybdis is a terrific HP

May 12, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #253 of 264
20240510_135747.jpg

The issue with falling off cups has finally been fixed.
I compared them to Susvara and Elite at Munich high end.
They are great for the money, but the others are still a notch above imo (or for my taste)
As far as show conditions did allow for a comparison

Build quality is above Susvara

May 12, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #254 of 264
Indeed, also an excellent solution for the cups falling out.
Do the cups remain at the correct height on both sides when you regularly put on and take off the headphones?
I found this annoying so I locked it up at a certain height.

May 14, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #255 of 264
In the review of Ear Fidelity there is the following: “after trying the Charybdis with a lot of different amps, I must admit that these are definitely not easy to drive, requiring you to use a powerful amp, preferably a balanced one.” I have a Mcintosh MHA 200 headphone amplifier, would that be good enough for this HP?
I don’t agree with you,
I have them since a few days, listened to them with amazing amps and at home I have the SP3K the fiii m17 the cayin dongle ru7 the small Enleum amp etc
These cans sound great with everything they can sound incredible with fantastic amps but they sound already fabulous with Fiio m17 , for once I prefer the m17 to my SP3K which has too much detail and resolution for them but then when I use it as a dac into my Enleum amp the sound is a marvel

Nevertheless my opinion is that they are really easy to drive..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back