Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,016 of 3,858
Why would you pay $350 for some thing you can have for $50 + cost of 1 5v LPS and if you have LPS then you don't even need to buy LPS.
Did you read my note below the link. And I 100% agree...

"All the needed components except the optional LPS can be purchased on Amazon for less than $100 USD."

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #3,017 of 3,858
Did you read my note below the link. And I 100% agree...

"All the needed components except the optional LPS can be purchased on Amazon for less than $100 USD."
I completely missed it and I totally agree with you.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #3,018 of 3,858
I wonder how many have already moved onto the next FOTM amp? Anyone still has their OOR after 5 months?
just to add another reply to your post... bought in June and no plans to upgrade the Fe stack! Although I have a few upgrades planned... Fe will be last/after DAC and it's probably the step before my "endgame Amp"

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #3,019 of 3,858
just to add another reply to your post... bought in June and no plans to upgrade the Fe stack! Although I have a few upgrades planned... Fe will be last/after DAC and it's probably the step before my "endgame Amp"
I did the same. Look at the Gustard R26 this is what I landed on. Decided the DAC in my Hifi Rose 150b was underwhelming. Also considered the Holo Spring 3 KTE.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #3,020 of 3,858
What do you consider endgame out of curiosity?

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,021 of 3,858
I did the same. Look at the Gustard R26 this is what I landed on. Decided the DAC in my Hifi Rose 150b was underwhelming. Also considered the Holo Spring 3 KTE.
got the X26pro before the R26 came out... same here won't upgrade before enough money for a substantial step forward is in.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #3,022 of 3,858
What do you consider endgame out of curiosity?
pipedream: riviera balanced

right now, with "strategic saving" Zähl HM1 or Envy, something of that kind of "quality", another HP first though...

Jan 8, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3,023 of 3,858
Had a chance to do a interesting test - was recently on some travel but had space to take the oor with the basic power supply and the Susvara. I had to run it in regular mode (with it acting as a volume / pre-amp). It was not bad sounding. I'm back using a 7a linear power supply, and a dac (Mytek Brooklyn Dac+) that controls the volume (power amp mode). There is significantly more impact/ dynamics, bass and there is more depth to the sound stage. If you haven't had a chance to try the OOR in power amp mode, do it! There are even measurements over at golden sound that show the OOR technically performs better this way (lower distortion).

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #3,024 of 3,858
Thanks for that feedback. I’ve been testing with different cables and various levels of humidity and am certain a static discharge is triggering the Oor to drop the signal and deliver only continuous static, sometimes only in one channel, very odd.
The upside, if you can call it that, is that with my previous amp the static discharge was, painfully, to my ears; that amp was not grounded and the signal was never lost. So the grounding on the Oor makes the difference as the discharge is through the amp and not through my noggin.
Over the long run, have you found it a significant inconvenience?

This quoted post is a bit dated, but I wanted to chime in and say I have the exact same thing going on. I'm also in CO so static is a problem. It has happened twice now when removing my headphones / getting up from the desk chair. Are you still using the OOR and have you seen any long term issues? I can adjust my headphone removal routine to get around it, but it certainly doesn't sound great.

Jan 10, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #3,025 of 3,858
If you haven't had a chance to try the OOR in power amp mode, do it!
This. I’ve been using the Oor/Hyspos for a few months with Arya Stealth headphones, and have been a little baffled over the praise heaped on the Ferrum stack. I’ve enjoyed listening using this combination, but my experiences never really fully aligned with the reviews and user feedback.

Using the Ferrum in power-amp mode made a noticeable improvement, and I feel like I’m hearing the amp at its full capacity for the first time.

My opinion of the Ferrum stack is now on-par with others that rate it very highly! I suspect that the quality of the DAC volume control plays heavily in this comparison, but if your streamer or DAC has (supposedly lossless) volume control, then it’s definitely worth trying out…

Jan 10, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #3,026 of 3,858
This. I’ve been using the Oor/Hyspos for a few months with Arya Stealth headphones, and have been a little baffled over the praise heaped on the Ferrum stack. I’ve enjoyed listening using this combination, but my experiences never really fully aligned with the reviews and user feedback.

Using the Ferrum in power-amp mode made a noticeable improvement, and I feel like I’m hearing the amp at its full capacity for the first time.

My opinion of the Ferrum stack is now on-par with others that rate it very highly! I suspect that the quality of the DAC volume control plays heavily in this comparison, but if your streamer or DAC has (supposedly lossless) volume control, then it’s definitely worth trying out…
which DAC or streamer do you have that let's you use the OOR in power-amp mode?

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #3,028 of 3,858
This quoted post is a bit dated, but I wanted to chime in and say I have the exact same thing going on. I'm also in CO so static is a problem. It has happened twice now when removing my headphones / getting up from the desk chair. Are you still using the OOR and have you seen any long term issues? I can adjust my headphone removal routine to get around it, but it certainly doesn't sound great.
Are you using balanced mode? It may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back