FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Jul 20, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #16 of 718

I'm always amazed by how fast you find threads, and how you are able to just 'poof' into threads that have anything to do with FiiO 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 718
  I'm really liking the new E11K, I find it a lot better than the first E11

In ways I agree. 

NOTE THE BELOW OPINIONS ARE REGARDING THE 4 MONTH OLD PRE-PRODUCTION UNIT

The usage of their signature 'stealthy black' metal body makes it look sleek and hot. It's sound signature, while not completely high-end by any means, gives it a good mixture of thick and fun, with a dash of clarity in it. And its simplified usability with the reduction of having to open up the device to flip switches along with the new potentiometer are a good addition.

Despite these great new additions. The E11K suffers in new areas from its new designs. It's curved state makes stack binding more awkward than it already is. I've noted that while it does have relative stability when stacked to most devices. It still has the ability to 'jiggle' due to its curve. Next would be the small shape of the unit and the top mounted potentiometer. Anybody that uses a stack knows that units slide around all the time if you use the bands. This means that it gets awkward and hard to change the volume at times if the E11K slips down the DAP's back. Not as big a problem if the DAP is smaller or around the size as the E11K and if they use double sided tape/velcro to secure their stack. For those using this as a desktop portable amplifier. Changing the volume requires picking the device up. You can't change it while the device is flat on the table. 

Lastly, there is no easilly done user removeable battery. This doesn't matter to me who understands Li-ion batteries, charging habits, and lifespans. But it is something many will care about none the less. 

I know I'm naming a lot of cons. But this is mainly because the pros are things that the E11 already did well and don't require a full secondary mention. The unit works by itself quite well and most of the cons are things that dont work with most portable amps. I'm just mentioning them again to keep neutrality in views for the audience. 
------------

I will be receiving a new E11K soon that is gonig to be almost if not pretty much finalized. I'll update you all on the changes. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 718
@Panda man

Do you know if these thingy can be removed or would I have to dremel them off?
I can fab up two rails/bumpers to stabilize it when stacked and if I can remove those two pieces it'll be easier to access the pot when it's stacked behind a larger dap.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #24 of 718
  So dremel it is...

I don't know why but other than sound quality this new E11 feels like a downgrade in all areas.

It looks better built that the E11 I have but there are quite a few things that are putting me off. The main thing is that the volume control is on the other side to the input and output. Just how are you meant to have this in your pocket and use headphones without the volume control being unaccesable at the bottom of your pocket? I said before that the gain and bass boost could swap places with the input and output. Or maybe just the volume control could go where the micro USB port is. If this was a desktop amplifier, this wouldn't be as much of a problem. It just seems a little strange to have things that way round when it is a portable amp.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #25 of 718
Don't get me wrong, the sq upgrade and the price and the fact that I still love my E11 is enough for me to buy the E11K, but like you said, it's suppose to be a portable amp and most people who buy it will use it in a portable stack but it's not optimized for that purpose. It's just puzzling why FiiO chose this layout. Maybe (wild guess) they made it specifically for their X1 with some kind of stacking kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back