[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Aug 31, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #4,428 of 5,703
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #4,430 of 5,703
About size of DC head of the adapter, is it 5.5 x 2.1 or 5.5 x 2.5?
The iFi iPower elite uses 2.1mm and that fit nice and tight with the M17. I believe the 2.5mm is more common for reverse polarity.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #4,432 of 5,703
Questions:
1. Is the enhanced over the Ear mode needed in DAC mode? If not then, why is the option to enable exist when I connect DC power in DAC mode?
2. Per Fiio's M17 documentation, the device can support up to DSD256 with the on-board SOC, but why then the all DSD feature/option is limited to DSD64?

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,434 of 5,703
Questions:
1. Is the enhanced over the Ear mode needed in DAC mode? If not then, why is the option to enable exist when I connect DC power in DAC mode?
2. Per Fiio's M17 documentation, the device can support up to DSD256 with the on-board SOC, but why then the all DSD feature/option is limited to DSD64?
1. It has nothing to do with DAC mode, it is about the amplifier. You will need a more powerful amplifier for a hard to to drive HP both in DAC and normal modes.

2. Because this is a very computationally demanding algorithm and would probably produce too much heat, and does not make any sense for a portable device that is already at its limits. Whether you can hear the difference is also another question.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,435 of 5,703
1. It has nothing to do with DAC mode, it is about the amplifier. You will need a more powerful amplifier for a hard to to drive HP both in DAC and normal modes.

2. Because this is a very computationally demanding algorithm and would probably produce too much heat, and does not make any sense for a portable device that is already at its limits. Whether you can hear the difference is also another question.
If the amp is not used, how does the device generate that high output signal level in balanced line out mode? If this EOA feature is not used when the device is in DAC -> line out mode, then why are we given the option at all to enable it in this mode?
You see, that's the mode that I mostly used the device in, I rarely used it with a headphone, but since the option pops out as soon as I connect the DC power, then I enable it.

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #4,436 of 5,703
If the amp is not used, how does the device generate that high output signal level in balanced line out mode? If this EOA feature is not used when the device is in DAC -> line out mode, then why are we given the option at all to enable it in this mode?
You see, that's the mode that I mostly used the device in, I rarely used it with a headphone, but since the option pops out as soon as I connect the DC power, then I enable it.
DAC mode does not mean DAC only. The headphone amplifier is still active unless you disable it from the gear icon on top -> Audio -> Single ended / balanced output selection.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #4,437 of 5,703
For PL50, its output is 3a if I'm not mistaken. My friend has other brand's linear power supply which is 12v but 2.5a. May I know whether it can be used with M17? Are there any issue?
Dear friend,

If the power supply support DC 12V output, it could work with the M17 theoretically.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #4,438 of 5,703
Since no one has mentioned it, I highly recommend playing offline tracks via Tidal and turning off wifi and set tidal to offline mode for a very significant upgrade in SQ and is the best SQ in my tests.

I'm enjoying how much sonic gains is to be had on DC power. Using an ifi elite + line conditioner and a Ifi nova power cable / DIY silver power cable and the silver power cable makes a very significant performance gain.

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #4,439 of 5,703
Since no one has mentioned it, I highly recommend playing offline tracks via Tidal and turning off wifi and set tidal to offline mode for a very significant upgrade in SQ and is the best SQ in my tests.

I'm enjoying how much sonic gains is to be had on DC power. Using an ifi elite + line conditioner and a Ifi nova power cable / DIY silver power cable and the silver power cable makes a very significant performance gain.
PL5O on a way, will try offline mode/ wifi off too. M17 on its own is already awesome..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back