Four years after the L.K.S DA004: the Musetec DA005 DAC
Jun 17, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #556 of 589
What is the best fuese for this dac- and what should be the technical rating of the fuse?
The stock fuse is very good. I preferred it over the QSA Yellow fuse. With that said, I'm now using the Synergistic Research Purple Fuse 3.15A Slow Blow size 5x20. Do I prefer this over the stock fuse? I don't know because I replaced the fuse in my preamp and headphone amp at the same time with Purple fuses. Do I prefer the Purple fuse upgrades overall? The answer is Yes.

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #557 of 589
From what I understand, the 005 could use some analogue injection, at least relative to the holo may.

Are tubes a good match for the 005? Is it to thin or neutral without any tubes?

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #558 of 589
From what I understand, the 005 could use some analogue injection, at least relative to the holo may.

Are tubes a good match for the 005? Is it to thin or neutral without any tubes?
It really depends on the flavour and resolving power of your system, rsbrsvp. I have Class A/B active amplification into a hybrid Electrostat/isobaric woofer (Nakamichi Dragon ESL) and the resolving power is amazing but it is a tad dry ie opposite of euphonic/saturated. It could do with a dose of tube magic somewhere perhaps. If I had tube amplification then it would marry well methinks.
I wouldn't call it thin at all. It is a full very detailed sound. Hope this helps.

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #559 of 589
I have tube pre and 845, 300B SET tube amps. I've had 005 for over two years, with many streaming and tube upgrades over that time. At worst I found 005 to be neutral, with boutique tubes and the streaming upgrades, both in pursuit of ever higher resolution and transparency, 005 has evolved into more analog sounding device. My reference for natural sound is multi $10k-$100K systems with best of best vinyl, the 005 is now entering realm of my aural memory of those systems, very natural timbre.

I'm still plumbing the potential of 005 with more streaming upgrades on the way, Sonore OpticalModule on order to match with my OpticalRendu, Acoustic Network Muon when I get back from vacation. I'm intent on exposing 005 to the best partnering equipment to hear full potential, so far not disappointed. At this point, only Holo May Kitsune would be alternative sub $10K dac I'd consider, otherwise only dacs on my list, Playback Designs Dream, EMM Labs DA2V2, Aires Cerat Helena or Kassandra, 005 that impressive!

Having said this, I would think 005 most synergistic with tubes, not sure enough harmonic development, what some regard as warmth with solid state. Doesn't mean it couldn't work fine, depending on ss equipment and listening preferences. I regard the 005 as neutral piece overall.

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #560 of 589
I tried my 005 with the new RAAL VM-1a tube amp.
https://raalrequisite.com/vm-1a-variable-mode-vacuum-tube-coming-soon/

I love the amp and it is my first tube amp. I did not like the 005 with the VM-1a as much as I liked the brighter Benchmark DAC3B. I loaned out my 005 to someone with the VM-1a and he is going to give me his opinion on it after about a month or 2 of listening.

I only listened with a few songs, so I am not 100% set on this opinion. I just immediately liked the DAC3B on the tube amp and did not want to experiment with the 005. I will let my friend do that. I will give a better listen to the 005 + VM-1a once I get the DAC back. I have 2 identical Fibre Optical streaming setups, so it was an apples-to-apples comparison.

My 005 with my SS gear is amazing.

BTW - the opticalModule was a nice addition upstream of the OpticalRendu. I was following John Swenson's comments about using that combo. I felt it was a slight improvement, especially when listening with my RAAL SR1a headphones. My OpticalModule died and now I am using some cheap Media Converter in place of the Optical Module. I have not really tested this piece yet.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #562 of 589
The DA005 has a serious grounding problem! I used to have sporadic dropouts when I stood up from my seat or sometimes even when I moved my feet. It has to do with electrostatic discharge. I never found the culprit. Now I know.

I had put the 005 aside for a couple of weeks and listened with the Topping D90SE. No more dropouts. Yesterday I put the 005 in the rack for comparison and connected it via AES to the network bridge. The dropouts were back! It just sat there, not even in the loop with the pre-amp.

Today I measured the resistance between signal ground on an SPDIF-Socket and earth ground in the power socket. It is a whopping 16 Ohms! It must be 0 Ohms, because it is a class 1 device, which has earth ground connected to the metal case. Signal and earth ground are on the same potential in such devices. The network bridge measures 0.02 Ohms, the pre amp 0.04 Ohms.

What you get is a ground loop with 16 Ohm resistance across the power cables and the signal cables of the connected devices. This is really bad as it results in a zero volts potential mismatch. The network bridge sees earth ground and signal ground on the same potential, the 005 doesn't. The 005's signal ground is floating above the common ground of the connected devices.

So, the 005 triggered compensation currents across the signal connection to the network bridge, which did not take that too well. I also realized that SPDIF is much more sensitive to those dropouts than AES, which has up to 7V signal level compared to a meager 0.6V over SPDIF. And AES is a symmetrical signal whereas SPDIF isn't.

My suspicion is also that the self-induced jitter that Amir had measured is due to the grounding problem inside the 005.

The 005 needs a proper overhaul. This flaw is unacceptable. I am close to opening it up and find a proper star grounding spot to connect signal ground to earth ground how it should be.

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #563 of 589
The DA005 has a serious grounding problem! I used to have sporadic dropouts when I stood up from my seat or sometimes even when I moved my feet. It has to do with electrostatic discharge. I never found the culprit. Now I know.

I had put the 005 aside for a couple of weeks and listened with the Topping D90SE. No more dropouts. Yesterday I put the 005 in the rack for comparison and connected it via AES to the network bridge. The dropouts were back! It just sat there, not even in the loop with the pre-amp.

Today I measured the resistance between signal ground on an SPDIF-Socket and earth ground in the power socket. It is a whopping 16 Ohms! It must be 0 Ohms, because it is a class 1 device, which has earth ground connected to the metal case. Signal and earth ground are on the same potential in such devices. The network bridge measures 0.02 Ohms, the pre amp 0.04 Ohms.

What you get is a ground loop with 16 Ohm resistance across the power cables and the signal cables of the connected devices. This is really bad as it results in a zero volts potential mismatch. The network bridge sees earth ground and signal ground on the same potential, the 005 doesn't. The 005's signal ground is floating above the common ground of the connected devices.

So, the 005 triggered compensation currents across the signal connection to the network bridge, which did not take that too well. I also realized that SPDIF is much more sensitive to those dropouts than AES, which has up to 7V signal level compared to a meager 0.6V over SPDIF. And AES is a symmetrical signal whereas SPDIF isn't.

My suspicion is also that the self-induced jitter that Amir had measured is due to the grounding problem inside the 005.

The 005 needs a proper overhaul. This flaw is unacceptable. I am close to opening it up and find a proper star grounding spot to connect signal ground to earth ground how it should be.
The owner/designer from Musetec seemed very responsive to the "issues" raised in Amir's testing, and I suspect he'd be very likely to respond to your grounding concerns. I'd suggest contacting the company directly with details of your findings to see his response.

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #564 of 589
I might have been a little over-excited. It is by design. On the power supply board sits a 15 Ohms resistor in parallel to a little capacitor, connected to a ground screw. I've seen this before, however with 100 Ohms. It is supposed to soft-couple the signal ground to earth ground. Anyway, I bridged the resistor with a wire. Now the device sounds different from what I am used to. I think it is better. I need to run more tests and comparisons to the Topping. Also, I will observe whether the dropouts are still happening.

--- edit

I think I am losing my mind. With the quick wire bridge over the 15 Ohm resistor, the 005 sounded fresh, powerful, and open. I was pleasantly surprised. I removed the power supply board to check whether there is a better place for the ground bridge. There wasn't. So I soldered the wire more accurately and put it all back together. Now it sounds dull, veiled, lame. What the heck happened? I only bent the silver wiring, removed 6 screws, and reseated all connectors. The wire bridge does the same thing as before. I am puzzled. Do the silver wires need yet another week for break-in? This is seriously mysterious.

--- edit2
Haha, my fault :ksc75smile:. I forgot to plug the transformer for the output stage back in. Why this thing even produced a sound at all is weird, however, with a dead output stage :L3000:
The powerful sound is back and I must admit that it beats the Topping in that respect now :astonished:. Amazing progress! I listened to it today before the modification and I wasn't impressed. The Topping was more dynamic, quicker. Not anymore.
The 005 could get a second life, which does make me happy.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #565 of 589
I want to briefly share my experience with the use of a network filter inserted into the cable feed to the MH-DA005. The stage has been greatly improved by at least one level. I really didn't expect that. The reduction consists of: FN 9260-1-06 and fuses RS 668-6007.
Unfortunately, during testing, I discovered that the power cord supplied with the device does not comply with European safety standards. The connection of the protective conductor with the frame of MH-DA005 is completely missing !!! The solution for me was the production of a new cord from SUPRA Silver plated 3x2.5.
I am satisfied with MH-DA005 and show me something cheaper that would be better :)

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #566 of 589
So, after some more comparisons and opening and closing the ground bridge wire I must say that this modification changes the sound quite significantly. The 005 sounds brighter in the upper midrange with more space around the instruments. Punchy on the edge to aggressive. That's not the 005 I've been used to. The original configuration is easier to live with, however, it puts a blanket on some things. I wouldn't want to get back to that. And I did not get dropouts anymore, no matter how I jumped up and down from my seat. The new sound actually makes a lot more sense to me regarding the selection of parts and aggressive bypassing of electrolytic caps. I never understood how the 005 can sound so mellow and friendly with all these parts built into it. That's not how I've experienced that stuff in the past.

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #567 of 589
Unfortunately, during testing, I discovered that the power cord supplied with the device does not comply with European safety standards. The connection of the protective conductor with the frame of MH-DA005 is completely missing !!! The solution for me was the production of a new cord from SUPRA Silver plated 3x2.5.
That's funny. I did measure that and the chassis of mine is connected to earth ground. Not to signal ground though, as I explained above.
The earth connection is not visible to the naked eye, though, like in other designs. Thinking about that, it may violate the standard to run the earth ground through a connector onto a board and from there to the chassis. That's a viable point! The fuse must be the weakest link under all circumstances. This might not work if there are connectors and board traces, that could fail before the fuse does. A wire straight from the socket to a solid chassis point is what we like to see here.

Oh, I just realized you were referring to the chord, not the DAC. Well, on that occasion I have found even more grounding problems then.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #568 of 589
I've never heard of this issue with others using spdif with 005, they report very nice sound quality, no veiling or lack of dynamics. I've only used usb with 005, never an issue with any of what you're hearing. At this point there have been direct comparisons to Mola Mola Tambaqui, Holo May, various versions, more recently Briscati M1 SE with network bridge, 005 holds it's own against these, no reports of drop outs, veiling, poor dynamics, etc.

After well over two years ownership, I remain convinced sound quality of 005 right up there with far more expensive dacs. Ongoing upgrades with streaming chain only confirm 005 potential yet to be reached, $6k and counting with streaming exclusive upgrades.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #569 of 589
Just an update based a very material change to my system and a re-evaluation of this DAC. After 20 years I have gone back to a preamp in the system, before I used the digital out of my DACs.
Well the sound has gone up several notches in dynamics, holographic quality and organicness. I’m using the Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature DHT preamp with Linlai 2a3 tubes.

So as good as I thought the digital volume of this DAC was I now know that a top end preamp takes it further. Without it the sound is direct, slightly sterile quality and very clinical/clean.

Do yourself a favour , grab a very good preamp and understand what this dac can deliver. I think I will need a Lampi Horizon to best this setup.

Good listening to all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back