Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
May 3, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,021 of 1,042
I see a reference on the HQPlayer site for a specific "DAC correction for the Gustard A26 but can't find any direction as to how to select it on anywhere. ?
In Matrix pipeline dialog - enable matrix processing in top left check box and enable Correction process and choose your DAC model on the bottom. Then on the top add a name for your preset and press [Save].
Settings confirmed by [OK] button become defaults next time when you start HQPlayer Desktop.
I recommend also to save "no settings" as a special named preset too.
You can then switch between presets without playback interruption using HQPlayer Client.

May 3, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #1,022 of 1,042
In Matrix pipeline dialog - enable matrix processing in top left check box and enable Correction process and choose your DAC model on the bottom. Then on the top add a name for your preset and press [Save].
Settings confirmed by [OK] button become defaults next time when you start HQPlayer Desktop.
You can then switch between presets without playback interruption using HQPlayer Client.
Is there info on what this DAC correction setting actually does for the A26?

May 3, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #1,023 of 1,042
May 6, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #1,024 of 1,042
I bought a high-performance computer to be able to use HQ Player.
Now I use version 1.42 because if connected only in etherhet it keeps the IP address and does not change Mac Address every time it is turned on.
However, version 1.42 does not receive direct DSD but only DoP
Therefore, if I want to make the best use of HQ Player connected only via Ethernet, I have to install version 1.43 which causes the problems we know about.
We hope that leaving it on all the time will keep your Mac Address and IP address
Of course, the management of firmware updates is a big disappointment, with this it will be my last Gustard purchase

May 6, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,025 of 1,042
I can check the enable matrix and then check enable correction but the selection fields for correction are blank.

May 6, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #1,027 of 1,042
May 8, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #1,029 of 1,042
Apparently the DAC correction only works whaen connected via USB. Now I can use the Gustard A26 correction pipeline when connected via USB and the DAC does show DSD 11.2M. I can also choose PCM or DSD via LAN but the correction won't populate the field when via LAN.
Listening tests to follow. The correction sounds clearly different.

May 8, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #1,031 of 1,042
Renderer firmware shows as 1V43 in HQPlayer. The DAC firmware is XXXX-247. HQPlayer A26 DAC correction can be selected and works via USB but the option does not populate any choice in the enabled correction field in pipeline when connected via LAN.

May 8, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,032 of 1,042
Does this version on the AK4191 +AK4499EX have access to bypass mode? No if it doesn't specifically have a bypass mode for DSD as a menu choice, it doesn't have it. (The ones I have reviewed with the Bypass have it as a third output option. You get 'variable' 'fixed' and DSD Bypass fixed'.

"Fixed" does not bypass the DSD FIR/Volume control (even if volume is at 100 percent) on the AK4191, nor does it bypass the Noise Shapers on same.

ONLY "Fixed DSD Bypass", specifically, sends the 1 bit directly unadulterated from AK4191 chip to the AK4499EX chip which has the unary coded output elements used as the analog FIR filter for conversion. (AKM for some reason now using trimmed resistors instead of Switched Capacitor filter elements. Maybe it had to do with production issues for the massive facility loss in the fire. I believe these chips are now largely outsourced now)

Other questions... In NON Bypass mode... that is, DSD with volume control, are their two working filter options? My experience is that there is only one filter, or there is a choice, and they measure exactly the same. No difference at all.

Final question. In Bypass mode, are there noise issues at higher DSD Rates that interact with the choice of filter, and another potential option in the menu, called sound color or ND color? I experienced this in one review sample. (Not Gustard)

Thanks to anyone who can answer. I know my questions are a bit arcane.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #1,033 of 1,042
Doesn't the menu selection "DSD direct" enabled do this? It is a separate menu item that is not in with the choices of "Fixed" or "Variable"

May 8, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,034 of 1,042
Doesn't the menu selection "DSD direct" enabled do this? It is a separate menu item that is not in with the choices of "Fixed" or "Variable"

that would be what I am looking for yes. Does it have that separate menu item allowing the choice.

my apologies, S.M.S.L calls it 'FIXED DSD BYPASS' in its software and includes it with the other choices mentioned.

So yes, it can be selected here. Good deal!

Thanks so much

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #1,035 of 1,042
Comparisons of HQPlayer into the Gustard A26.

PCM, DSD, and DSD using the A26 correction pipeline via USB using the excellent (but full and robust sounding?) Supra Excalibur cable, and PCM and DSD (the A26 correction option doesn't populate when on LAN for some reason) using the LAN input. HQPlayer upsamplimg to PCM integer 705 or 768 does sound better than playing the same file with Foobar ASIO.

At this point I have to feel like an outlier.

After hours and days of listening back and forth with many different filters, shapers, and modulators, I have to say that I prefer LAN>PCM out of everything. The specific A26 DAC correction for DSD does make a big improvement in the sound and brings back some of the air and space and speed compared to the USB>PCM. So I would probably choose this if I didn't have the option of LAN. But connecting through LAN is more transparent and blacker and seems to eliminate any interconnect contribution that seems inevitable via USB the wide range of USB cables I have tried.

USB>DSD>P-S-G-xla>ASDM7EC-super>correction, is accurate, robust, comfortable, the correction puts most of the detail back that the DSD compared to PCM seems to muffle, but the LAN>PCM is blacker, deeper, wider, with more space between the instruments. Growl of fingers on strings of electric bass are more present. Snare has more crack. Solo piano sounds more like the percussion instrument that is is. Ambient hall sound decay, real or processed, has a finer presentation on LAN>PCM.

I would say that USB>DSD>A26 correction is good, and is a different, more comfortable flavor, than LAN>PCM, but I have to place it still slightly behind.

HQP designer stated in another thread that they never got the A26 LAN working on their unit (I had a battle also, having to put together a dedicated router which is hardwired to my modem, with a hardwire from my laptop going into it, and another hardwire coming back out of the router over to the A26) so this might account for the inability of HQPlayer designer to spen time getting the pipeline to activate the option of the A26 DAC correction when on LAN. Which might put that playback method over the top.

I know there has been much work put in by AKM, Gustard, HQPlayer, to bypass the internal modulator in the DAC and offer DSD direct with the AK4499EX chip set, but for now, I have to recommend LAN>PCM 705/768 auto with P-S-G-xla and TPDF with the Gustard A26.

Check out the amazing new recording "Atlantis" by Soen as they reimagine their favorite tracks from previous albums in a kinder, gentler audiophile vein with the addition of strings and backing vocals. Exquisite drum kit and electric bass sound and liquid electric guitar on "Modesty"

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/atlantis-soen/cbis46dsk1gpb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back