headstage lyrix pro
Apr 13, 2008 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

alan_g

500+ Head-Fier
might have the chance for getting one of these for a reasonable price, i read the review on here and it sounded ok.

does anyone here use one and how do you find it to use?

will it work well with my cowon d2 or my iaudio7 or my iriver h120p

thanks in advance

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 8
I've had mine for about 4 months and find it quite good. The gain and bass boost switch are well done and the SQ is quite nice. Although I don't usually have the bass boost switch on its handy for some music...I'm using it with my iAudio x5l and usually a set of PK 1's although if I'm on the back deck I'll occasionally listen with my Senn 580's . I have the total version and have swapped opamps but still like the factory installed ones so far...

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a scale of 1 to 10, how well would you say your Lyrix drives your HD580 (quality)?

And, on a scale of 1 to 10, how loud would you say your Lyrix drives your HD580 (quantity)?

Thanks

I'd estimate for quality compared to my home setup it would be about 8 or 9 out of 10. Really very good for a portable....

For quantity I'd say 10 out of 10....It drives them louder than I care to listen to them.....

For a portable amp at this price point its hard to beat... ( I originally bought just a Lyrix then upgraded to a Lyrix Pro and finally to the Lyrix Pro total...I'm very happy with them...no problems whatsoever)

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Great!

So does your Lyrix Pro Total drive your HD580 louder than you could stand to listen to them, or just way louder than you prefer? I like to listen to extremely loud music is why I ask, and I'm trying to get an idea if the Lyrix Pro will drive my HD580 loud enough for me.

Also, I'm specifically interested in the Lyrix Pro. From 1 to 10 how would you compare its quality to the Lyrix and Lyrix Pro Total?

Thanks again.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great!

So does your Lyrix Pro Total drive your HD580 louder than you could stand to listen to them, or just way louder than you prefer? I like to listen to extremely loud music is why I ask, and I'm trying to get an idea if the Lyrix Pro will drive my HD580 loud enough for me.

Also, I'm specifically interested in the Lyrix Pro. From 1 to 10 how would you compare its quality to the Lyrix and Lyrix Pro Total?

Thanks again.

It drives them louder than I can stand...to the point I think your hearing would be damaged ......I do like to listen at loud levels but not extremely loud..

I think all of the models exhibit pretty well the same sonic qualities... .The differences in the models are more to do with the features I'd say......The Pro gives u the bass boost, the crossfeed and the gain boost...and the total has better caps, the ability to upgrade the opamps and 4 channel circuitry....I doubt that you could tell the difference between the total pro and the pro in a portable situation.....and the lyrix and the lyrix pro are basically the same amp with the extra features...

I'll probably be putting the lyrix and the lyrix pro on the FS forum soon since I'm using the Pro total most of the time.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It drives them louder than I can stand...to the point I think your hearing would be damaged ......I do like to listen at loud levels but not extremely loud..

Perfect. This is the first I've been convinced the Lyrix would be loud enough with my HD580.

Quote:

I think all of the models exhibit pretty well the same sonic qualities... .The differences in the models are more to do with the features I'd say......The Pro gives u the bass boost, the crossfeed and the gain boost...and the total has better caps, the ability to upgrade the opamps and 4 channel circuitry....I doubt that you could tell the difference between the total pro and the pro in a portable situation.....and the lyrix and the lyrix pro are basically the same amp with the extra features...

Excellent.

Quote:

I'll probably be putting the lyrix and the lyrix pro on the FS forum soon since I'm using the Pro total most of the time.

I'd be interested in your Lyrix Pro. Thanks again.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Heh heh, I just got a spare Lyrix Pro for my son to use with his MS-1, because I didn't want to give up my Total Pro. Or, my Predator, or Pico, or D2, or HeadSix, or D1, or TTVJ millet portable...
biggrin.gif

I think my D2 with upgraded opamps may be my only portable with more power, but I have no trouble driving my HD600 with the Lyrix. However, my Woo WA6 desktop amp drives the HD600 with more authority and control and refinement, but not really much louder. With a good source (iMod), the portable's sound quality driving the HD600 is probably 90% of the Woo, but it's that last 10% that makes all the difference in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back