Help with Monarch MKII - DAC/Amp or DAP
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Twangsta

100+ Head-Fier
I finally bit the bullet and the MMK2 arrived this afternoon.

My current gear is:
m1 MBP ultra
RME Babyface Pro ( pro audio interface )
KRK Rokit 5 ( monitors )
Lehmann BCL
HD800 OG
WM2000 with Tin Audio's T4

I can't even find my 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter so I'm 4 hours in on the MK2 and I'm using the headphone out on the RME, luckily they have two outs one's a 3.5mm. I didn't plan this very well but to my ears they sound good.

I did order an angled MMCX female to 2 pin male and tried it with my WM2000, wasted effort, the cable into the RME is crazy good.

I'm looking for reasonably priced portable DAC/Amp with 4.4 balanced out that will power these MK2s well. The reason I was thinking about a DAP is being a dedicated unit will have it's benefits and all that, but it's one more thing etc.

I need some direction. Also do you folks recommend using these MK2s for work outs etc? How resilient are these things for outdoor use, etc, should I just use the T4 with the neckband, but man I'm going to hate the sound after these.

Help :)

May 1, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 9
Congrats with your purchase, great choice.

First off, I wouldn't use these while working out. The humidity created can damage the drivers (this is for any IEM).

And I personally wouldn't use these outside, since I'd be afraid it would start raining, that they fall out of my ear, etc. But maybe you are more of a daredevil than me haha.

About the DAC/DAP; it depends on your use case. I would only get a DAP if you want to store your music library on a dedicated device, and need its other functionalities.

Otherwise I would get a Bluetooth dongle to use with your phone. It's just so convenient, and a lot of them sound great. You can also easily put them in your pocket, or even clip some on your belt, which isn't the case for most DAPs. I have always found them too big and clunky.

My choice would be the FiiO BTR7. It sounds amazing and it gives a small bass boost which will help with the leanness of the Monarch Mk2. It has 4.4 and has enough driving power. It's 175 on Aliexpress.

A different question, did you already got good eartips for them? My recommendation would be Sedna Earfit MAX or Tangzu Sancai.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Congrats with your purchase, great choice.
Thank you, I have no words for how good they are!

First off, I wouldn't use these while working out. The humidity created can damage the drivers (this is for any IEM).

And I personally wouldn't use these outside, since I'd be afraid it would start raining, that they fall out of my ear, etc. But maybe you are more of a daredevil than me haha.
After reading your comment I got myself a pair of Etymotic - ER2XR, I wanted a change from the old T4. I think you're right, MMK2 is too good to take that sort of chance.

About the DAC/DAP; it depends on your use case. I would only get a DAP if you want to store your music library on a dedicated device, and need its other functionalities.

Otherwise I would get a Bluetooth dongle to use with your phone. It's just so convenient, and a lot of them sound great. You can also easily put them in your pocket, or even clip some on your belt, which isn't the case for most DAPs. I have always found them too big and clunky.
Yes, after looking at all the options, they were all a compromise in one way or another, add diminishing returns and longevity. I did get a Moondrop Dawn Pro, but I think I wanted more. I have a mojo 2 in the mail.
A different question, did you already got good eartips for them? My recommendation would be Sedna Earfit MAX or Tangzu Sancai.
I tried the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Eartips For TWS and SpinFit - W1, I didn't like either, I've since settled with the stock silicon M, the fit and sound the best to me.

Excited to hear what the ER2XR compares to the T4, and ofcourse the mojo 2 and MMK2.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!

May 2, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Yes, after looking at all the options, they were all a compromise in one way or another, add diminishing returns and longevity. I did get a Moondrop Dawn Pro, but I think I wanted more. I have a mojo 2 in the mail.
You probably know already, but the mojo has no bluetooth and no balanced 4.4. It sounds amazing though. I was very impressed. Coincidentally, I compared it to the BTR7 at the time and it was better on all levels. Except for convenience haha.

I tried the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Eartips For TWS and SpinFit - W1, I didn't like either, I've since settled with the stock silicon M, the fit and sound the best to me.
TWS eartips are meant for wireless earbuds, so they're too short for iems. It's the sedna earfit max standard version that you need. But if the stock ones fit well, why change anyway. :)

May 2, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 9
You probably know already, but the mojo has no bluetooth and no balanced 4.4. It sounds amazing though. I was very impressed. Coincidentally, I compared it to the BTR7 at the time and it was better on all levels. Except for convenience haha.
Yes, I see a poly in my future, next month, want to space it out as well, roof repairs and what not, I hear good things since they've updated the poly's app/firmware. I remember watching the Rob Watts talk about the poly a year or so ago, he had some technical reasons about the single ended only. The MK2 sounds glorious into my BLC via the dawn pro. I hope it's a good step up with the mojo 2.

TWS eartips are meant for wireless earbuds, so they're too short for iems. It's the sedna earfit max standard version that you need. But if the stock ones fit well, why change anyway.
I see, I did notice they were shallow, I might try a few more yet. But I'm honestly perfectly happy with the stock ones too. Still were here to extract the goods, especially low hanging fruit. This is like guitar gear all over again, out of the frying pan into the fire :D

May 2, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 9
As a fellow guitarist I can relate haha.

Btw, if you need to get rid of your moondrop dawn pro and are located; I'm interested.

And let me know how you like the Monarch with the Mojo! Curious what that combo sounds like.

May 2, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 9
As a fellow guitarist I can relate haha.

Btw, if you need to get rid of your moondrop dawn pro and are located; I'm interested.

And let me know how you like the Monarch with the Mojo! Curious what that combo sounds like.
I'm not sure yet about selling the dawn thing, but definitely no located in any area that's been genocidal for a couple of millenia. Excuse my candor on that one, please.
what' kind of guitar do you play?

May 2, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm not sure yet about selling the dawn thing, but definitely no located in any area that's been genocidal for a couple of millenia. Excuse my candor on that one, please.
what' kind of guitar do you play?
I'm located in Europe. I see that I accidentally removed part of the sentence in the message before.

Acoustic and electric. My main rn is a Charvel Strat, but if I want a thicker Gibson like sound I'll use an Epiphone LP. You?

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Mostly electric, strats and teles. My main guitar is a malmsteen signature strat. I have a fancy custom Lentz I had made to order, its a double cutaway les paul type in HH. I play through a plexi and 4x12. The plexi is an RR100 made by Rockit Retro. Great amp for any kind of money. I just had a metro zero loss loop put in it.

I haven't been playing for a year to be honest. Work has been crazy, and I think I got fried with all the malmsteen stuff.

What's interesting is hearing my old soundcloud clips on the MMK2. I'm def gonna use it to mix and all that. Not that I'm a major pro, I've been playing for the better half of my life and it's been more than a casual hobby, therapy even :D

Last thing I recorded for a buddy, just having some fun on his covid song which was never finished.

edit: forgot to mention I live in rural india. It lovely out in the countryside but it's the hellish two month summer atm, worst time of the year.
edit2: always wanted a charvel strat.

Attachments

• IMG20221221072806.jpg
    IMG20221221072806.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back