Home-Made IEMs
May 17, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #16,052 of 16,063
I managed to make my CIEMs have low freq(at last). The issue was that at the low freq instead going in the ear it was escaping on the other tubes that are for the EST and BA's(didn't research why is this happening and how I can fix this bit it is a big possibility that is from the tube dimensions). The fix was to add dampers to both EST and BA's(the smallest one for the EST (gray or white one) and some green one for the BA's).
My measurement mic was reading the freq ok, the problem was/is from the design itself .
It would mean that the tubing was not fully sealed to the driver or the tubing wasnt fully glued to the sound bore or there was a hole in the tubing or, if you are printing tubes, there wasnt good integrity of the tubing through out the shell.

May 18, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #16,053 of 16,063
It would mean that the tubing was not fully sealed to the driver or the tubing wasnt fully glued to the sound bore or there was a hole in the tubing or, if you are printing tubes, there wasnt good integrity of the tubing through out the shell.
I tested out with some isopropyl alcohol(and some wire to see if it catches somewhere) on the dd to see if there are any leaks from the dd to the nozzle(to the other tubes) and there are 0 leaks. When I added the dumpers(they are added at the nozzle right on the exit) to the EST and Ba's tubes(the tubes are 3d printed) the low freq came back and for testing I removed the EST dumper and then again the low freq is gone(same if I remove the Ba's dumper and let est one instead). From what I did I reached the conclusion that the low freq instead of going into the ear it was escaping trough other tubes(when I tested the EST and ba's are not glued into the case, this might be the issue too, I will test out)

May 18, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #16,054 of 16,063

Attachments

• IMG_20240518_111621.jpg
    IMG_20240518_111621.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #16,055 of 16,063
I tested out with some isopropyl alcohol(and some wire to see if it catches somewhere) on the dd to see if there are any leaks from the dd to the nozzle(to the other tubes) and there are 0 leaks. When I added the dumpers(they are added at the nozzle right on the exit) to the EST and Ba's tubes(the tubes are 3d printed) the low freq came back and for testing I removed the EST dumper and then again the low freq is gone(same if I remove the Ba's dumper and let est one instead). From what I did I reached the conclusion that the low freq instead of going into the ear it was escaping trough other tubes(when I tested the EST and ba's are not glued into the case, this might be the issue too, I will test out)
try rewire ur dd with flip polarity (?)

May 18, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #16,058 of 16,063
Tried and that didn't help. Tried running them one by one and that still didn't make any difference. Conclusion I must have for both est and ba's a dumper to make the dd have low freq
That doesnt really track. Something else has to be going on. The DD doesnt require occlusion to produce low frequency. The only way it would escape through tubes is to have a leak or a share sound path. Dampers on a the armatures shouldnt effect the presence of low frequencies.

May 18, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #16,059 of 16,063
Tried and that didn't help. Tried running them one by one and that still didn't make any difference. Conclusion I must have for both est and ba's a dumper to make the dd have low freq
What is this tube (I highlighted it in red)? It looks like a vent added to the DD tube to the outside. Solid red line seems to represent a leak to the DD, while the dotted red line is the tube you want sound to follow. I'd try plugging this vent and having a listen.
1716051363562.png

May 18, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #16,060 of 16,063
What is this tube (I highlighted it in red)? It looks like a vent added to the DD tube to the outside. Solid red line seems to represent a leak to the DD, while the dotted red line is the tube you want sound to follow. I'd try plugging this vent and having a listen.
1716051363562.png
Bingo! OR, add a damper to this tube, probably yellow, and test for an increase in lows. If you see the low end pop-up, you know you will get much more with the hole sealed. That being said, prepare for an increase in back pressure and the potential for ear fatigue.

May 18, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #16,061 of 16,063
Your driver choices, how they're wired, cap values, resistor values, what sound signature you're going for. Maybe I could learn something
Hi again, in this model ( white and wood ) i use sonion 2389D and sonion 38d1 woofer . I wired 5ohm resistor and 22 cap on one of the 2389(no center pad), and 2.2 cap on the other 2389(no center pad) .

On the woofer i wired 20 ohm resister reversed .

2389d,12 mm tube with green damp at 3-4 mm .

Woofer no damp, just smallest tube. 16 mm tube with 1mm ID .

Attachments

• IMG_7988.png
    IMG_7988.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back