HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
May 4, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #1,306 of 1,411
May 4, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,307 of 1,411
still stuterring with both cuda ticked and not ticked

this is so strange

also my power plan is on high performance
On the input tab. Backend should be none (this could be causing a conflict)

Try regular NAA on output tab (not IPv6)

Set buffer time to default on output tab

Adaptive rate should be checked on output tab

What DAC are you using? If it’s 48K compatible check that box as well. Also need to know what DAC to set DAC bits on the next tab. If it’s Holo Audio it needs the latest firmware to reach 1.536 and DAC bits should be set to 20 (not default)

If you have DAC correction on in pipeline I would turn it off for testing

Beyond that an i7-8750H may not have enough juice and you may have to back off your settings somewhat

May 4, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #1,308 of 1,411

What DAC are you using? If it’s 48K compatible check that box as well. Also need to know what DAC to set DAC bits on the next tab. If it’s Holo Audio it needs the latest firmware to reach 1.536 and DAC bits should be set to 20 (not default)

Beyond that an i7-8750H may not have enough juice and you may have to back off your settings somewhat
I'm having difficulties now running filters I used to run no problem. I'm wondering if it's to do with computer hard drive memory remaining or other services running that are slowing things down.

I disabled the DAC correction and that has helped things, but it's still freezing every 3-4 seconds.

May 4, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #1,309 of 1,411

thanks this seems to solve it tried one song and so far no stutter

can u advise on which is the best filter

May 4, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #1,310 of 1,411
thanks this seems to solve it tried one song and so far no stutter

can u advise on which is the best filter
I've just switched from NAA to direct usb connection and that's fixed the stuttering. Not sure what the limiting factor would be in wireless transimission since I'm very closed to my wifi point.

May 4, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #1,312 of 1,411
I'm having difficulties now running filters I used to run no problem. I'm wondering if it's to do with computer hard drive memory remaining or other services running that are slowing things down.

I disabled the DAC correction and that has helped things, but it's still freezing every 3-4 seconds.
Which filter(s)? If its Sinc-MGa there was a recent update to that filter and its now more processor intensive

Try @bogi evergreen suggestions here (specifically setting DSP pipeline to 8 may yield better results)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hqp...-settings-rolling-thread.968141/post-18106669

May 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,313 of 1,411
I've just switched from NAA to direct usb connection and that's fixed the stuttering. Not sure what the limiting factor would be in wireless transimission since I'm very closed to my wifi point.
NAA should be hardwired, I was never able to get it an NAA to work reliably over WiFi even at lower rates. Someone smarter than me can chime in here but I believe it has something to do with latency.

May 4, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #1,314 of 1,411
Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #1,315 of 1,411
thank you all as it was not easy to figure this out by myself

thanks so so much

May 4, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #1,316 of 1,411
i use in input non and in output naa
I had a feeling that might be the culprit. Basically there was a conflict in the settings since you had NAA set as both input and output device initially. IIRC I made the same mistake when I initially set up my NAA

May 4, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #1,317 of 1,411
Much appreciated the measurements above, I might be mistaken, I wonder if the tube sound actually coming from the fact that (from the last graph) SINAD drops significantly from 15khz to 20khz from 98db to 82db - meaning there's quite a bit of distortion in the HF?
Yeah, but I am about to spout an unpopular opinion here. With Sinad we are talking about harmonic distortion, and considering my 47 year old ears peak out at about 16khz, if we assume an 8khz fundamental, the distortion is simply the presence of the octave at 16khz. Which is TECHNICALLY not correct, but practically speaking, pretty innocuous.

I am a classically trained concert pianist, and it is no wonder that my favorite pianos are ones that 'ring' not 'ting' or 'ping' (not in the FIR filter sense lol). There is a certain 'fatness' in the overtone series that gets accentuated. It may not be a very scientific way to describe it, but for a musician, she or he knows it when they hear it.

This carries over into my choices of equipment. As you may guess, I LOVE tube amplifiers. Perhaps I am anathema to a certain set of audiophiles. But, I just want to enjoy my music, and I know what I like.

Even with the higher harmonic distortion at the extremes of the DSC2, I don't really find any loss of enjoyment. I can't speak for everyone, and it isn't a 'finished product'. It was a proof of concept with open source schematics where the analog output stage possibilities are and endless as one's imagination.

May 4, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #1,318 of 1,411
thank you all as it was not easy to figure this out by myself

thanks so so much
You're welcome, good news is it's working now, and plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you troubleshoot if something breaks. Now you can tweak it as much or little as you like. Have fun trying the different filters and modulators / dithers. You asked earlier about filter recommendations. Everyone has different preferences, chains, favorite genres etc but a good starting place and all rounder are Jussi's default.

1x - poly sinc gauss long
nx - poly sinc gauss HiRes-lp

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,319 of 1,411
i used in input non and in output naa

I am curious if that could cause the issue since you did not use input NAA. It is in effect only if you are playing from a remote input device - not when you are playing from files or streaming through network services (like Qobuz). Then, you didn't have any device selected for input NAA so this setting could not be in effect also from this reason. I guess you changed yet something, what did the change.

May 4, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #1,320 of 1,411
I am curious if that could cause the issue since you did not use input NAA. It is in effect only if you are playing from a remote input device - not when you are playing from files or streaming through network services (like Qobuz). Then, you didn't have any device selected for input NAA so this setting could not be in effect also from this reason. I guess you changed yet something, what did the change.
i used what

shwnwllms

suggested so honestly i don't know what made it work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back