Introducing HIFIMAN Ananda Nano
May 4, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #736 of 815
This has probably already been discussed so forgive me if this question is redundant (49 pages is a daunting mounting to climb), but what DAC/amps are considered to pair really well with Ananda Nano?

Budget is $300-ish. I'll be using the headphones to play audio from my computer (i'm an audio engineer), nothing else.
Nothing overly big.
Would prefer it to plug in via USB or USB-C only (i.e. no power cable), but it's not essential. And i'm not sure if USB-only would sacrifice too much quality? (lemme know).
Would like to have onboard EQ on the DAC, so i can have an EQ profile for the headphones only and it wont affect the sound coming through my speakers / interface / systemwide. (But let me know if that's possible software-wise, i don't know). That's not essential either though.

Don't need any bluetooth capability or any fancy features. Just need it to optimize the sound of the headphones.

Thanks
Hey Barncore.

Nice to see you here.

You're the one that led me to the Nano's last year on another forum. Best gear suggestion I've ever received on a forum, really.

I cant help you with the 300$ amp but Equalizer APO can be turned on and off with a simple click so you could potentially build your profile in it and turn it on and off.

The Nano's are not power hungry by the way. My UAD Apollo Twin-X was providing way enough power to drive them properly. I was at about a third of the whole gain structure, if that can help you reference.

May 4, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #737 of 815
Hey Barncore.

Nice to see you here.

You're the one that led me to the Nano's last year on another forum. Best gear suggestion I've ever received on a forum, really.

I cant help you with the 300$ amp but Equalizer APO can be turned on and off with a simple click so you could potentially build your profile in it and turn it on and off.

The Nano's are not power hungry by the way. My UAD Apollo Twin-X was providing way enough power to drive them properly. I was at about a third of the whole gain structure, if that can help you reference.
Oh hi Martel!

The reason why i want the EQ onboard the DAC/amp is because i fear i'll forget to turn the EQ off when switching to using my monitors instead of headphones, lol. It would be nice if the EQ profile was "stuck" to the headphones only, if that makes sense.

The Nano's have a low impedance so they're not power hungry BUT apparently the low sensitivity means they require a lot of "current" in order for them to be used at their full potential.

Currently i'm running them through the inbuilt headphone amp on my Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core interface, but i'm not certain that the headphones are optimized on that. So i'm looking at the idea of getting a dedicated DAC/amp instead.
Partly to improve the sound, but also it would be convenient to have the EQ on just the headphone output alone, rather than systemwide. My monitors already run through my Antelope interface, so any EQ i were to apply to that driver would apply to the monitors as well.

Cool to see you here! Small world haha

May 4, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #738 of 815
Oh hi Martel!

The reason why i want the EQ onboard the DAC/amp is because i fear i'll forget to turn the EQ off when switching to using my monitors instead of headphones, lol. It would be nice if the EQ profile was "stuck" to the headphones only, if that makes sense.

The Nano's have a low impedance so they're not power hungry BUT apparently the low sensitivity means they require a lot of "current" in order for them to be used at their full potential.

Currently i'm running them through the inbuilt headphone amp on my Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core interface, but i'm not certain that the headphones are optimized on that. So i'm looking at the idea of getting a dedicated DAC/amp instead.
Partly to improve the sound, but also it would be convenient to have the EQ on just the headphone output alone, rather than systemwide. My monitors already run through my Antelope interface, so any EQ i were to apply to that driver would apply to the monitors as well.

Cool to see you here! Small world haha
I totally understand your point as it happened to me way more often then it should.

Matter of fact, yesterday I sold my UAD Apollo Twin-X and bought a RME ADI-2 DAC FS partly because of that. Now I just realized there's no ADC in it so I will eventually need to buy the pro version but that's for another topic.

The thing is, on the RME ADI-2, you have a 7 band PEQ. 1 and 7 being Low and High Shelf. They are also independent which mean that Line out, 1/4 Jack and IEM jack can all have their separate EQ profile. There's also crossfeed integrated which is very useful if you're a CanOpener user.

ADI Remote.jpg

RME ADI-2 DAC, Page 19, Paragraph 12.

I think it's worth looking into as an upgrade of your whole DAC system.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #744 of 815
I totally understand your point as it happened to me way more often then it should.

Matter of fact, yesterday I sold my UAD Apollo Twin-X and bought a RME ADI-2 DAC FS partly because of that. Now I just realized there's no ADC in it so I will eventually need to buy the pro version but that's for another topic.

The thing is, on the RME ADI-2, you have a 7 band PEQ. 1 and 7 being Low and High Shelf. They are also independent which mean that Line out, 1/4 Jack and IEM jack can all have their separate EQ profile. There's also crossfeed integrated which is very useful if you're a CanOpener user.

RME ADI-2 DAC, Page 19, Paragraph 12.

I think it's worth looking into as an upgrade of your whole DAC system.
Looks great but i need at least 1 mic/guitar input, and it's probably too expensive for me anyway, for now.

Still on the hunt for a good headphone DAC-amp to match with the Nano...

May 5, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #745 of 815
I find the k7 to sound a bit dry with all my headphones. I want something that sounds a bit more natural and fluid if that makes sense.

Seriously, a DAC/Amp doesn't has a "own sound profile" all the DAC/Amp with a high quality chip (like K7) sound equal and if you want a curve for your taste you should use an EQ, the price difference beetwen the DAC/Amps are in their functions and extras like more ins, more outs, displays, remote control, etc. etc.

May 5, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #748 of 815
but the sound "quality" is the same
I don't know what is your experience so far. I went from the K7 to ST-AMP to EF400 / EF400+ST-AMP to EF400+Aune S17 Pro in like 2 months. Had a chance to A/B them all in different configurations. The smallest difference was between the K7 and the ST-AMP solo. But the rest of combinations gave different experience in terms of sound quality. The Aune amp being the biggest wow of them all paired with the EF400.

Even the EF400 with both the OS and NOS (true R2R) DAC modes sound different, especially when used as AiO.

May 5, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #749 of 815
Looks great but i need at least 1 mic/guitar input, and it's probably too expensive for me anyway, for now.

Still on the hunt for a good headphone DAC-amp to match with the Nano...
There's the Topping A30 pro that is worth looking.

It's in your price range and it's neutral. 6W x2@16 Ohm. 5.5W x2@ 32 Ohm THD+N: 0.00006%, Bypass output when powered off. Crosstalk at -101db with XLR IN.

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/590764.html

I would put a bit more and get a A70 Pro if I was you.

May 5, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #750 of 815
There's the Topping A30 pro that is worth looking.

It's in your price range and it's neutral. 6W x2@16 Ohm. 5.5W x2@ 32 Ohm THD+N: 0.00006%, Bypass output when powered off. Crosstalk at -101db with XLR IN.

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/590764.html

I would put a bit more and get a A70 Pro if I was you.
Nice. Seems perfect as far as being a clean/powerful headphone amp. Only problem is i'd be paying for features i don't need, like the preamp and the speaker outs.

Does the A30 have a DAC in it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back