is this a good headphone amp (aiyima)
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't see any issues, per se, anyway. The HE 400s doesn't really need an amp anyway. The amp you're looking at would be fine for low-impedance and high-sensitivity headphones like the HE 400s.

Try it and see. At that price, you've wasted little if it's not that great. Just don't expect to get something really outstanding for that price.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't see any issues, per se, anyway. The HE 400s doesn't really need an amp anyway. The amp you're looking at would be fine for low-impedance and high-sensitivity headphones like the HE 400s.

Try it and see. At that price, you've wasted little if it's not that great. Just don't expect to get something really outstanding for that price.
While I agree with you on the HE400S 22 ohm 98 db the poster has the 400se which are 25 ohm 91 db so 170 mW @ 32 ohms might be fine but I personally would like a bit more power.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 7
While I agree with you on the HE400S 22 ohm 98 db the poster has the 400se which are 25 ohm 91 db so 170 mW @ 32 ohms might be fine but I personally would like a bit more power.
Good catch. It's hard to keep up with all of HiFiMan's letters. Still, the amp is only $22. That's not much wasted if it doesn't help and still might be better than nothing.

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Another possibility for an affordable amp is the Venture Electronics Megatron: $50 (plus a little more for shipping; I think it was $6 to the US and Indonesia is closer).

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

It is a DAC/Amp that somehow runs on USB power from the phone -- no battery -- and provides plenty of power as well as a DAC that's probably better than the phone. I use mine to power 470 ohm ATH-R70X phones and it runs those easily. It does not have a volume control; you'd still control the music volume from the phone. Although it looks like a metal brick it's probably no heavier than an outboard amp with batteries, and it's about the same size as the Ali amp.

It has a USB-C connector; make sure your phone works with that. (Not Apple's Lightning.)

Venture Electronics has a strong reputation; search the Megatron on Head-Fi, which is what convinced me to try it. Shipping from VE was faster than promised, too. For some reason it's $99 from AliExpress and $50 (+ shipping) direct from VE, so the choice is obvious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back