It is worth buying expensive headphones to listen to music on Youtube?
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

aguskapo007

New Head-Fier
Hi, i wonder if it´s worth buying expensive headphones (like >$200) to listen to music on Youtube. I know there is a limit (192kbps) on the Youtube sound quality, so would i notice the difference between $200 and $1000 headphones if i listen music only via youtube? What would be the most you would pay for headphones for listening via Youtube?

I wonder this because i need closed-back headphones with low sound leakage, but i reaaaalllyyyy like the Hifiman HE-400i sound signature, which has none sound isolation. So if a find a closed-back headphone with the same sound signature but with lower sound quality, would the difference in sound quality between the HE400i and the closed back hp be noticeable if i listen to music via Youtube only?

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 35
Hi, i wonder if it´s worth buying expensive headphones (like >$200) to listen to music on Youtube. I know there is a limit (192kbps) on the Youtube sound quality, so would i notice the difference between $200 and $1000 headphones if i listen music only via youtube? What would be the most you would pay for headphones for listening via Youtube?

I wonder this because i need closed-back headphones with low sound leakage, but i reaaaalllyyyy like the Hifiman HE-400i sound signature, which has none sound isolation. So if a find a closed-back headphone with the same sound signature but with lower sound quality, would the difference in sound quality between the HE400i and the closed back hp be noticeable if i listen to music via Youtube only?

There isn't really a one-size-fits-all answer for this question. Some headphones will really highlight any issues with your source, whereas others sound good with (almost) everything. I wouldn't worry that much about the quality ceiling on Youtube, personally, although there are a LOT of really bad recordings that happen to be on Youtube...

Your overall results may also depend on what else is in your "chain", i.e., are you just plugging the headphones straight into a laptop, or are you using/going to buy an amp? Etc.

BTW, I don't know the HE400i, but you might want to take a look at Monoprice's planar offerings. They have closed models and people seem to like 'em pretty well, although also they seem pretty obsessed with modding them to improve their performance.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 35
There isn't really a one-size-fits-all answer for this question. Some headphones will really highlight any issues with your source, whereas others sound good with (almost) everything. I wouldn't worry that much about the quality ceiling on Youtube, personally, although there are a LOT of really bad recordings that happen to be on Youtube...

Your overall results may also depend on what else is in your "chain", i.e., are you just plugging the headphones straight into a laptop, or are you using/going to buy an amp? Etc.

BTW, I don't know the HE400i, but you might want to take a look at Monoprice's planar offerings. They have closed models and people seem to like 'em pretty well, although also they seem pretty obsessed with modding them to improve their performance.

So it is more about sound signature and not that much about cost? thanks for anwering :D

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 35

CD-audio is 16-bit/44.1K, so the chances of you finding something (a Youtube video) that that has a need to be higher then 16-bit/44.1k is rare.

What exactly do you plug your headphones into, a PC or Mac?

Should be able to find some nice sounding closed headphones, for $200 or less, at Monoprice or Massdrop.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 35
CD-audio is 16-bit/44.1K, so the chances of you finding something (a Youtube video) that that has a need to be higher then 16-bit/44.1k is rare.

What exactly do you plug your headphones into, a PC or Mac?

Should be able to find some nice sounding closed headphones, for $200 or less, at Monoprice or Massdrop.

But i was talking about the 192kbps, the detail of the songs played through youtube. The real question would be like, it is worth buying expensive headphones to listen to music at 192kbps.
I´ll plug them into my Asus Xonar DGX in my PC. The problem is that i´m from Uruguay, so I cannot buy from Monoprice or Massdrop easily. I can buy headphones only from Amazon, Ebay or Walmart, and the price cannot surpass $200 (exempt taxes from global shipping only from $199 or less articles).

Thanks for answering :D

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 35
But i was talking about the 192kbps, the detail of the songs played through youtube. The real question would be like, it is worth buying expensive headphones to listen to music at 192kbps.
I´ll plug them into my Asus Xonar DGX in my PC. The problem is that i´m from Uruguay, so I cannot buy from Monoprice or Massdrop easily. I can buy headphones only from Amazon, Ebay or Walmart, and the price cannot surpass $200 (exempt taxes from global shipping only from $199 or less articles).
Thanks for answering :D
Ok, kbps,
if it's a quality 192kbps recording, then yes, it's worth it to get $200 headphones.
If it's a poor quality192 bps audio recording, then better quality headphones make imperfectings in the recording more noticeable.
If the audio your listening to sounds good with the HE-400i, then I guess your listening to good quality audio.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 35
Hi, i wonder if it´s worth buying expensive headphones (like >$200) to listen to music on Youtube. I know there is a limit (192kbps) on the Youtube sound quality, so would i notice the difference between $200 and $1000 headphones if i listen music only via youtube?

The difference on tonal balance would still make one headphone distinct from the other even if there isn't any more detail to be fleshed out.

That said, since some headphones at the higher price points tend to have much flatter response, it might not be a good idea since you'll just hear the lower res music as it is as opposed to having a bump in the 50hz to 100hz region to at least compensate for the lower range bass that gets cut out by MP3 compression and let you hear more of the bass that is actually there (not to mention that even on the FLAC or WAV format there might not be a lot of low bass to begin with and more with the tone of the bass notes).

The one benefit that is most likely to be had going up the price ranges is that you'd get a headphone that is better at imaging. However, depending on what genre you listen to, there might not be enough 3D information on how the music was recorded in the first place (even if you're using 320mbps on Spotify "Extreme" or even the WAV/FLAC), which means getting an LCD-2 over an HD6XX will at best place the cymbals farther from your ears but it won't make for more distance between the vocals and percussion front to rear.

As much as subjective preferences or preference for objectively good sound might be a factor the HE4xx series' (except for the HE400S) flat 10hz to 1000hz might not be a good idea. Sure it can play very low frequencies evenly right up until half of the effective range (on a logarithmic scale that's roughly half), but since MP3 compression cuts out the low frequencies that are barely there it is worth considering just having a boosted 50hz to 100hz. Or generally have that region stronger than 1000hz and up.

What would be the most you would pay for headphones for listening via Youtube?

$300 or so. HD6XX or Listen Pro.

If you'll stick to strictly just ordering from Amazon and only at $199 or less, maybe a refurb HD600. Problem is, returns are problematic in that situation.

The other sticky problem is that you'd have to deal with the output impedance of the DGX, plus relatively low power output. As much as the HE400i and HE400S are less susceptible to output impedance issues, they're not totally immune, and can have even less audible bass as a result, especially the 22ohm impedance of the HE400S. It can work the other way around but given returns are problematic I wouldn't gamble on these.

Your safest bet really is wait for the HD6XX or HD58X on Massdrop and order those.

EDIT: I just checked Massdrop and you have about 8hrs to get either one of the Sennheisers.

If you miss out on these, and you don't mind losing a bit more on the low end but get a bit more on the upper bass (helps a lot with the percussion and some of the other bass notes), maybe just get a Grado SR225e. From all the stuff I tried them on these only sounded like tin cans on speaker amps'/receivers' headphone outputs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 35
There isn't really a one-size-fits-all answer for this question
..there are a LOT of really bad recordings that happen to be on Youtube...

Facts indeed!

Hi, i wonder if it´s worth buying expensive headphones (like >$200) to listen to music on Youtube.

One answer to your question is that it greatly depends on what YouTube has to offer in it's entirety and how much you care about chasing quality videos/recordings. For example I know you can find the same record by different uploaders of completely different sound quality. If you're a guy who's picky and puts effort in a HQ playlist then it's obviously more of a yes it's worth it. And vice versa, it might not be worth it when the mission is click and listen as fast as possible. And take note that in specifically your scenario 192kbps isn't the end all specification. No need to look at it. Find yourself some examples on the 'Tube and compare by ear tells enough I think.

would i notice the difference between $200 and $1000 headphones if i listen music only via youtube?

Do you notice differences when you're not listening on YouTube? What I can tell you is that most here on Head-Fi would definitely not consider the more expensive headphones to be solely used for YouTube or any other source that's not meant for quality playback. For your purpose roughly $200 seems a nice figure. Even if it's all about just the HQ videos for you it may be the better move to spend more but still not a winning move in my opinion. Rather spend less ^^

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 35
The difference on tonal balance would still make one headphone distinct from the other even if there isn't any more detail to be fleshed out.

That said, since some headphones at the higher price points tend to have much flatter response, it might not be a good idea since you'll just hear the lower res music as it is as opposed to having a bump in the 50hz to 100hz region to at least compensate for the lower range bass that gets cut out by MP3 compression and let you hear more of the bass that is actually there (not to mention that even on the FLAC or WAV format there might not be a lot of low bass to begin with and more with the tone of the bass notes).

The one benefit that is most likely to be had going up the price ranges is that you'd get a headphone that is better at imaging. However, depending on what genre you listen to, there might not be enough 3D information on how the music was recorded in the first place (even if you're using 320mbps on Spotify "Extreme" or even the WAV/FLAC), which means getting an LCD-2 over an HD6XX will at best place the cymbals farther from your ears but it won't make for more distance between the vocals and percussion front to rear.

As much as subjective preferences or preference for objectively good sound might be a factor the HE4xx series' (except for the HE400S) flat 10hz to 1000hz might not be a good idea. Sure it can play very low frequencies evenly right up until half of the effective range (on a logarithmic scale that's roughly half), but since MP3 compression cuts out the low frequencies that are barely there it is worth considering just having a boosted 50hz to 100hz. Or generally have that region stronger than 1000hz and up.

$300 or so. HD6XX or Listen Pro.

If you'll stick to strictly just ordering from Amazon and only at $199 or less, maybe a refurb HD600. Problem is, returns are problematic in that situation.

The other sticky problem is that you'd have to deal with the output impedance of the DGX, plus relatively low power output. As much as the HE400i and HE400S are less susceptible to output impedance issues, they're not totally immune, and can have even less audible bass as a result, especially the 22ohm impedance of the HE400S. It can work the other way around but given returns are problematic I wouldn't gamble on these.

Your safest bet really is wait for the HD6XX or HD58X on Massdrop and order those.

EDIT: I just checked Massdrop and you have about 8hrs to get either one of the Sennheisers.

If you miss out on these, and you don't mind losing a bit more on the low end but get a bit more on the upper bass (helps a lot with the percussion and some of the other bass notes), maybe just get a Grado SR225e. From all the stuff I tried them on these only sounded like tin cans on speaker amps'/receivers' headphone outputs.

WOW, thanks for the answer. The main reason why i do this question about youtube quality is because i want to buy an HE400i, but i question myself if would it be worth buying those headphones if i only will play music from Youtube, or if with a $100 hp i will get the same sound quality because of the Youtube limitations. What i want is being alone in my PC, get the volume up, smoke a porro (yea, im from Uruguay) and feel my music, get the goosebumps that i had when i first listen to these songs, and it works better while seeing the MV, so i will not listen to 320kbps or FLAC/WAV, i will listen from Youtube. Aren´t the HD 6XX harder to AMP? I dont think my Asus Xonar DGX have enough power. Anyways, probably i like more the HE400i. Plus, they are cheaper, and have less impedance. I don´t really care that much about the bass, what i like about the HE400i is the sound signature, the airy sound, the neutral decent bass (im not a basshead), good mids and nice clarity treble, i want the opposite to MUDDY sound

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 35
Facts indeed!

One answer to your question is that it greatly depends on what YouTube has to offer in it's entirety and how much you care about chasing quality videos/recordings. For example I know you can find the same record by different uploaders of completely different sound quality. If you're a guy who's picky and puts effort in a HQ playlist then it's obviously more of a yes it's worth it. And vice versa, it might not be worth it when the mission is click and listen as fast as possible. And take note that in specifically your scenario 192kbps isn't the end all specification. No need to look at it. Find yourself some examples on the 'Tube and compare by ear tells enough I think.

Do you notice differences when you're not listening on YouTube? What I can tell you is that most here on Head-Fi would definitely not consider the more expensive headphones to be solely used for YouTube or any other source that's not meant for quality playback. For your purpose roughly $200 seems a nice figure. Even if it's all about just the HQ videos for you it may be the better move to spend more but still not a winning move in my opinion. Rather spend less ^^

Thanks for answering! I want to listen to the songs directly from their official MV, because i want to get the full experience. If i wanted to listen an only audio video from youtube, i would rather download the 320kbps MP3 or FLAC.
Right now I dont notice that much of a difference between Youtube audio and MP3 320kbps audio, but that probably because i have an $10 headphone. So i do this question to know if i buy a WAY better headphone (HE400i) than the one i actually have would actually increase the sound quality even from Youtube videos, or Youtube would limit the sound quality enough to make that i doesn´t notice any sound quality difference between my actual $10 hp and the HE400i. Like if to notice the difference i would need to use strictly high quality audio sources. Sorry about my inglish, i´m from Uruguay. And thanks :D

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 35
Youtube is actually limited to 128 kbps AAC. From what I've read, it's hard to tell a difference in blind test of this format and 320 kbps mp3.

I notice a difference in SQ from Tidal and Youtube, but not sure if the difference I hear is only due to loudness difference in the waveforms. What I mean by loudness waveform is, when you raise the volume, the waveform gets stretched vertically or amped. If you look at audio waveforms, you can see their amplitudes of the waveform. And this amplitude can be another difference between two difference music sources of the identical track.

download (2).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 35
HI Aguskapo007,

Just for your reference, in terms of good sound quality at any level for not too much budget wise would be MSR 7 or MDR 1AM2.

I believe you were already considering MSR 7 in another thread, I suggest looking at the Sony as well.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 35
WOW, thanks for the answer. The main reason why i do this question about youtube quality is because i want to buy an HE400i, but i question myself if would it be worth buying those headphones if i only will play music from Youtube, or if with a $100 hp i will get the same sound quality because of the Youtube limitations. What i want is being alone in my PC, get the volume up, smoke a porro (yea, im from Uruguay) and feel my music, get the goosebumps that i had when i first listen to these songs, and it works better while seeing the MV, so i will not listen to 320kbps or FLAC/WAV, i will listen from Youtube.

The thing is though YouTube detail limitations isn't the only problem, as discussed above. But I wouldn't really advise going all out on the headphone either since one limitation could be, beyond YouTube alone, that your music might not have been recorded with spatial information in the first place, so the main benefit isn't going to be there. And live performances, save for classical/opera and some modern musicals (although not recorded live, they're just meant to follow the sound around like how the characters move on stage, like the original Phantom of the Opera and CATS! recordings, since these are the same audio for the video format release back when nearly all home video copies were also in stereo), tend to not have even less of that.

Anyways, probably i like more the HE400i. Plus, they are cheaper, and have less impedance. I don´t really care that much about the bass, what i like about the HE400i is the sound signature, the airy sound, the neutral decent bass (im not a basshead), good mids and nice clarity treble, i want the opposite to MUDDY sound

Here's the thing though: impedance isn't the only determinant in how easy a headphone is to drive. A 300ohm, 97dB/1mW headphone requires less than half the power that a 35ohm, 93dB/1mW headphone would, since every 3dB additional volume you need to double the current input power. Impedance comes in in two ways: some (usually cheaper) amps tend to have trouble delivering 256mW to 300ohms, but then again, chances are they'd have trouble delivering 512mW to 32ohms to begin with. This is like the difference between being able to power a Lotus Super Seven with a Ford 2.0L 4cyl and get 0-60mph in 4.5seconds, although given it has the aerodynamics of a brick, it can't go past 138ph (not to mention that engine barely has over 150hp) whereas a 3800lb Lamborghini Diablo VT with a full leather interior and an aftermarket sound system needs a 520hp 6.0L V12 to do 0-60mph in 4.0 seconds, albeit all that power and an extra gear plus proper aerodynamics allows it to hit 200mph.

The other way impedance comes into play is when whatever amp circuit you plug it into has a high output impedance. As much as planars don't suffer as badly from that as dynamic headphones that require, generally, a 1:8 ratio (ie load nominal impedance needs to be 8x higher than the output impedance), if you have a 30ohm output impedance with a 35ohm (or 22ohm load in the case of the HE400S) hooked up, it can still potentially make for muddy bass, regardless of whether it's because it's boosting the bass or even trimming it. As a more severe example the K701 can sound like a tin can on some OTL tube amps due to the 120ohm output impedance, but despite sounding like a tin can ie no bass, what bass is there sounds a lot less like dum-dadum-da-dadadadadada-da-daduuum and more like dwwuwwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwummmmmmmmmmmm.

So in short, if your problem is you can't send things back, might as well get a 150ohm, 97dB headphone like the HD58X. Although the drop is now closed.

Aren´t the HD 6XX harder to AMP? I dont think my Asus Xonar DGX have enough power.

HD6XX is 300ohms, 98dB/1mW. Needs around 175mW, but the amp needs to produce ~175mW at 300ohms.

HD600 is 300ohms, 97dB/1mW. Needs around 215mW, but the map needs to produce ~215mW at 300ohms.

HD58X is 150ohms, 97dB/1mW. Needs around 215mW, but amp needs to produce ~215mW at 150ohms.

HE400/400i/4XX is 35 ohms, 93dB/1mW. Needs around 512mW, but the amp needs to produce ~512mW at 35ohms, and to be safe, have around 10ohm output impedance, max.

Asus doesn't even release specs for the DGX headphone amp, claims to have 3 gain modes but calls them something else (High Gain is "Pro Gamer Mode" like actual pros are more likely to use an HD650 with small imaging than a K7XX) but also with some blurb about "amplifying everything even low sounds" (sic) which suggests that either Marketing wrote this with zero understanding of how it works or they understand that it quashed dynamics too (not that high gain by itself does that, but this card does) but they want to make it sound like it's a good thing (it's like Night Mode on HT receivers). Somebody just asked them and it got floated around the forum that it has a 30ohm output impedance.

Just on output impedance alone, the HD6XX/650 and HD600 at least won't have the output impedance issue. Next to that is the HD58X.

Even if we look past that, given it's not like the new Sound Blaster X AE-5 with 1000mW at 32ohms much less an amp with a fat power transformers surrounded by fat capacitors, I'd doubt it can do 512mW at 32ohms, so even if it might be too much to hope it can do close to 175mW at 300ohms (or 2V), even ~64mW at 150ohms is still a lot to work with on the HD58X (at roughly the same output level on the HE4xx series it needs double that still, just at 32ohms or so).

Basically, either way your DGX is more likely to not have enough power, but the HD6XX is relatively easy to drive vs the HE4xx, savings for which can more likely end up going to an amp anyway. As a compromise for both output impedance and power requirement there's the HD58X, more so if you don't need the bass plateau on the HD6XX anyway.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 35
You totally should. The headphone makes up most (>90%) of the sound quality. I do most of my listening on YouTube and I've spent probably $10000 on headphones :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 35
The thing is though YouTube detail limitations isn't the only problem, as discussed above. But I wouldn't really advise going all out on the headphone either since one limitation could be, beyond YouTube alone, that your music might not have been recorded with spatial information in the first place, so the main benefit isn't going to be there. And live performances, save for classical/opera and some modern musicals (although not recorded live, they're just meant to follow the sound around like how the characters move on stage, like the original Phantom of the Opera and CATS! recordings, since these are the same audio for the video format release back when nearly all home video copies were also in stereo), tend to not have even less of that.

Here's the thing though: impedance isn't the only determinant in how easy a headphone is to drive. A 300ohm, 97dB/1mW headphone requires less than half the power that a 35ohm, 93dB/1mW headphone would, since every 3dB additional volume you need to double the current input power. Impedance comes in in two ways: some (usually cheaper) amps tend to have trouble delivering 256mW to 300ohms, but then again, chances are they'd have trouble delivering 512mW to 32ohms to begin with. This is like the difference between being able to power a Lotus Super Seven with a Ford 2.0L 4cyl and get 0-60mph in 4.5seconds, although given it has the aerodynamics of a brick, it can't go past 138ph (not to mention that engine barely has over 150hp) whereas a 3800lb Lamborghini Diablo VT with a full leather interior and an aftermarket sound system needs a 520hp 6.0L V12 to do 0-60mph in 4.0 seconds, albeit all that power and an extra gear plus proper aerodynamics allows it to hit 200mph.

The other way impedance comes into play is when whatever amp circuit you plug it into has a high output impedance. As much as planars don't suffer as badly from that as dynamic headphones that require, generally, a 1:8 ratio (ie load nominal impedance needs to be 8x higher than the output impedance), if you have a 30ohm output impedance with a 35ohm (or 22ohm load in the case of the HE400S) hooked up, it can still potentially make for muddy bass, regardless of whether it's because it's boosting the bass or even trimming it. As a more severe example the K701 can sound like a tin can on some OTL tube amps due to the 120ohm output impedance, but despite sounding like a tin can ie no bass, what bass is there sounds a lot less like dum-dadum-da-dadadadadada-da-daduuum and more like dwwuwwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwummmmmmmmmmmm.

So in short, if your problem is you can't send things back, might as well get a 150ohm, 97dB headphone like the HD58X. Although the drop is now closed.

HD6XX is 300ohms, 98dB/1mW. Needs around 175mW, but the amp needs to produce ~175mW at 300ohms.

HD600 is 300ohms, 97dB/1mW. Needs around 215mW, but the map needs to produce ~215mW at 300ohms.

HD58X is 150ohms, 97dB/1mW. Needs around 215mW, but amp needs to produce ~215mW at 150ohms.

HE400/400i/4XX is 35 ohms, 93dB/1mW. Needs around 512mW, but the amp needs to produce ~512mW at 35ohms, and to be safe, have around 10ohm output impedance, max.

Asus doesn't even release specs for the DGX headphone amp, claims to have 3 gain modes but calls them something else (High Gain is "Pro Gamer Mode" like actual pros are more likely to use an HD650 with small imaging than a K7XX) but also with some blurb about "amplifying everything even low sounds" (sic) which suggests that either Marketing wrote this with zero understanding of how it works or they understand that it quashed dynamics too (not that high gain by itself does that, but this card does) but they want to make it sound like it's a good thing (it's like Night Mode on HT receivers). Somebody just asked them and it got floated around the forum that it has a 30ohm output impedance.

Just on output impedance alone, the HD6XX/650 and HD600 at least won't have the output impedance issue. Next to that is the HD58X.

Even if we look past that, given it's not like the new Sound Blaster X AE-5 with 1000mW at 32ohms much less an amp with a fat power transformers surrounded by fat capacitors, I'd doubt it can do 512mW at 32ohms, so even if it might be too much to hope it can do close to 175mW at 300ohms (or 2V), even ~64mW at 150ohms is still a lot to work with on the HD58X (at roughly the same output level on the HE4xx series it needs double that still, just at 32ohms or so).

Basically, either way your DGX is more likely to not have enough power, but the HD6XX is relatively easy to drive vs the HE4xx, savings for which can more likely end up going to an amp anyway. As a compromise for both output impedance and power requirement there's the HD58X, more so if you don't need the bass plateau on the HD6XX anyway.

Wow, that a lot of information. What if I buy a new soundcard, or and external AMP, for the HE400i? I could buy something like the Soundblaster you´ve said, or something like the Soundblaster Z, but if i pay that money for that it should be worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back