McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 12, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #361 of 880
Matt just told me the price for the Duelund and Vcap caps. I always thought that Dueland would be more expensive but it seems Vcap is the real money burner.

Duelund CAST Cu-Ag Hybrid 0.47 uf 630VDC pair - US$280
Vcap Cutf - nearly US$600

Duelund and Vcap are featured in this review.
https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Russian FT3 - US$38.50
Review found here - https://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor3.htm

I realised that I will not have 200 hours on the Duelund and Vcap but probably 100 hours by the time I do the comparison. Under the circumstances, that will have to do.

I will disregard those reviews and form my own opinion after my evaluation in Super Ultimates.
You are right that the Vcaps are expensive,
the price hurts for a few.
However, once you have heard them after more than 400 hours of burn-in, you forget the price relatively quickly.
That was the case with the Ultimate, as well as the Euforia, where I installed the TFTF and then had the Odam's installed in the output stage.
It made both amplifiers better and made me forget the price.
In fact, I just enjoy it now without looking back.
The reviews are helpful however many caps have been listened to in speaker crossover.
This again makes a difference whether the cap is in the speaker or in the amplifier.
Also because the current voltages are different in the input.
The other thing is the amplifier topology which also has an influence apart from Otl, Tc and solid state, the results differ noticeably.
That's why I would take these ratings with a grain of salt.
Ultimate beats the Euforia even with the Mundorf caps although my Euforia has the Vcap caps.
If I use EL34/KT88 with 6v6 in the Euforia, it looks different.
If I switch on the vcap cutf in the Ultimate and go into the boat with good tubes, things get tighter.
In fact, the topology of the amplifier is what you hear most.
The rest is more subtle things, more definition here and there, more bass there, the other amplifier is clearer in the vocals etc..

May 12, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #362 of 880
These are some of the tubes I got from Eric. I had an initial listen of EH 6H30Pi and Russian OTK 6S45P and my own Nevz 6C2C / 6S2S.

EH 6H30Pi soundstage is much narrower than the other 2 but detailed nevertheless. 6S45P is better than 6S3P imo. 6C2C is ok but not top of the class. Next will be the 6S15P, the older brother of 6S45P and much rarer. There's also the Supertube Sovtek 6H30Pi waiting in the wings. I will be taking my time.

EH 6H30Pi and OTK 6S45P
IMG_9316.jpg

6S15P but it's printed as 6C15P - this is the older brother of 6S45P
IMG_9319.jpg

Nevz 6c2c /6s2s
IMG_7589.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #363 of 880
You are right that the Vcaps are expensive,
the price hurts for a few.
However, once you have heard them after more than 400 hours of burn-in, you forget the price relatively quickly.
That was the case with the Ultimate, as well as the Euforia, where I installed the TFTF and then had the Odam's installed in the output stage.
It made both amplifiers better and made me forget the price.
In fact, I just enjoy it now without looking back.
The reviews are helpful however many caps have been listened to in speaker crossover.
This again makes a difference whether the cap is in the speaker or in the amplifier.
Also because the current voltages are different in the input.
The other thing is the amplifier topology which also has an influence apart from Otl, Tc and solid state, the results differ noticeably.
That's why I would take these ratings with a grain of salt.
Ultimate beats the Euforia even with the Mundorf caps although my Euforia has the Vcap caps.
If I use EL34/KT88 with 6v6 in the Euforia, it looks different.
If I switch on the vcap cutf in the Ultimate and go into the boat with good tubes, things get tighter.
In fact, the topology of the amplifier is what you hear most.
The rest is more subtle things, more definition here and there, more bass there, the other amplifier is clearer in the vocals etc..

As I said I will disregard those reviews and form my own opinion.

I'm comparing apples with apples. All 3 caps will be compared in 2 Super Ultimates with the same combination of tubes. It won't happen until a month's time. By which time, the FT3 should have considerable hours on it. It's going to be burn in 8 hours a day. :relaxed:

Meanwhile this beautiful Miflex will be kept in cold storage. I still like the top of the line Mundorf Supreme SGO. Many have claimed that caps changed much over time but the Mundorf didn't change that much over one year - to my ears. After about 40 hours, it sounded good and have stayed that way. No parting of the Red Sea after 400 to 1000 hours. I must have countless hours on the Mundorf by now. I stop counting. It's been one year.

IMG_9320.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #364 of 880
Using 6S45P and EL38 to burn in the FT3 caps. I can't bear to burn up my GEC 807. :relaxed: FT3 already sounding good after 8 hours. I'll monitor it for changes over the next 40 hours.

Soundstage is really wide with the 6S45P. Very clear too... and the bass ! Hard not to love it. Not sure what is causing the lovely bass but I like to think it's the whole Ultimate package with tubes, caps, etc.

IMG_9321.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #365 of 880

It may be for speakers but his reviews is in line with what I hear in Mundorf Supreme SGO amd Miflex kpcu-01. So there's no need to dismiss it. Also his descriptions of Vcap cutf also is in line with what I hear in Bryant's Supreme.

Besides the 'EnjoyThe Music' review by Jon L, himself a Head-Fier is in the context of headphone amps. So the reviews by him on Mundorf Supreme SGO, Vcap and Russian FT3 is relevant and also in line with what I hear.

May 12, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #366 of 880
I couldn't help but wanted to try the Mullard EL84 again. The last time I heard it was in the U-Amp. With 6S45P as drivers, these EL84 is a joy to listen to. British house sound rules and EL84 is tight and linear, a tone I really like.

All this while the FT3 caps are being used. It doesn't sound coarse or grainy. In fact it's rather smooth. Not as agile and alert as the Vcap but it is definitely more sparkling than the Russian K40Y-9.

IMG_9322.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #367 of 880
If there is another power tube that I would want to buy, it is the RCA 6L6GC black plates. Immediately switching over from EL84 to these 6L6GC, it is so much better ! Sound opens up now. It's body beautiful sound. These are the best of the 6L6GC no doubt about it and very different in tone to the more linear RCA 6L6 metal tubes. Alas the price is expensive now.

I spy this quad of RCA 6L6GC label as Mazda and it's mouth watering.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/256507896119?

RCA 6L6GC black plates from Eric
IMG_9315.jpg

Sounding beautiful now in Ultimate and it's been a long day of enjoying the music. Time to sleep soon.
IMG_9318.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #368 of 880
Really enjoying this combo at the moment . Reflector 6P14P (mil spec) power tubes, Tung Sol 5687 driver . Awesome sound stage and great tone :o2smile: . I prefer the 5687 over the Lorenz C3G driving the 6P14P. This tube combo pairs really well with my ZMF Atrium opens . I paid $40 for a quad of these power tubes , bargain
Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 10.41.46 PM.png
IMG_2484.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #369 of 880
Ich genieße diese Kombination im Moment wirklich. Reflektor 6P14P (mil spec) Stromrohre, Tung Sol 5687 Treiber. Tolle Klangbühne und toller Ton :o2smile: . Ich bevorzuge den 5687 gegenüber dem Lorenz C3G, der den 6P14P fährt. Diese Röhrenkombination passt wirklich gut zu meinem ZMF Atrium. Ich habe 40 Dollar für ein Quad dieser Stromröhren bezahlt, Schnäppchen IMG_2484.jpg

Can you use this box where you are attached to the. side how much current the tubes draw and thus determine whether the tubes are faulty?
If so, where did you buy it?

May 12, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #370 of 880
These are some of the tubes I got from Eric. I had an initial listen of EH 6H30Pi and Russian OTK 6S45P and my own Nevz 6C2C / 6S2S.

EH 6H30Pi soundstage is much narrower than the other 2 but detailed nevertheless. 6S45P is better than 6S3P imo. 6C2C is ok but not top of the class. Next will be the 6S15P, the older brother of 6S45P and much rarer. There's also the Supertube Sovtek 6H30Pi waiting in the wings. I will be taking my time.

EH 6H30Pi and OTK 6S45P

6S15P but it's printed as 6C15P - this is the older brother of 6S45P

Nevz 6c2c /6s2s
Regarding the 6H30Pi the real super tube is supposed to be the 6H30-DR bit I haven’t heard it - too expensive for my taste. I have the other 6H30 variants and the Pi sounded the best to me.
I am sure that you know this but just to clarify: There is no such brand as OTK of Russian tubes. It is simply a quality control stamp meaning inspected by and usually followed by a number- inspector 33 as an example.
Most Russian tubes have logos on them and the factory can be identified by these pictures:
http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html

May 12, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #371 of 880
Regarding the 6H30Pi the real super tube is supposed to be the 6H30-DR bit I haven’t heard it - too expensive for my taste. I have the other 6H30 variants and the Pi sounded the best to me.
I am sure that you know this but just to clarify: There is no such brand as OTK of Russian tubes. It is simply a quality control stamp meaning inspected by and usually followed by a number- inspector 33 as an example.
Most Russian tubes have logos on them and the factory can be identified by these pictures:
I have a pair of super tubes 6H30-DR. I did try them after I tried the Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi gold pin. They are clearer and sound better, but I still prefer the 5A/152M tubes. They are as good and as clear as the 6H30-DR with a better sound stage.

May 12, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #372 of 880
Really enjoying this combo at the moment . Reflector 6P14P (mil spec) power tubes, Tung Sol 5687 driver . Awesome sound stage and great tone :o2smile: . I prefer the 5687 over the Lorenz C3G driving the 6P14P. This tube combo pairs really well with my ZMF Atrium opens . I paid $40 for a quad of these power tubes , bargain

$40 is not a bargain. I paid $13.33 for a quad but shipping is $19.99
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154941903968

Not sure what it means by Australian stocks. 6P14P are russian EL84 equivalent.

May 12, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #374 of 880

Yes I'm aware that OTK is the quality stamp. Thanks for sharing this link on the symbols for the factories though.

My G-807 is from Ulyanovsk. It has the old symbol Y as shown in your link. The other tube is Reflector because it has the old diamond symbol. At least now I know how to tell this. :relaxed:

The seller just state it as Ulyanovsk and in their picture it's with brown base but I got black base.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314793313600

IMG_9271.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #375 of 880

That's $3 cheaper than mine. Any cheaper and it will be free. :relaxed:

However having now compare 6p14p and Mullard EL84, the latter is the better sounding tube. Much more smoother but still very tight and linear with good bass control. It's the high end chime that is so appealing with these EL84 tube types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back